“Not terribly impressed” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sawadee

Sawadee
Ranked #433 of 2,526 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Rathfarnham
“Not terribly impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Had dinner (early bird) on the 5th of January 2013 in this restaurant. For starter had spring rolls. Bland & uninspiring & you certainly won't get fat on them. Mains we had Nua Phad Takari which again was bland, despite the mention of 'spicy' in the description on the menu. Maybe we just ordered the wrong foods. Waiter service was good & we didn't have the experience previous diners have had. In fact our waiters were extremely pleasant. One thing that was very annoying was the fact that our table for 2 was parked so close to another table for 2 that we could hear every single word of their conversation which meant that they could overhear ours! Its not that we were discussing State secrets but it is nice to have a little bit of privacy. Restaurants - please stop cramming tables together! Overall verdict - average.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

“Excellent Thai Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Last night was my second time to this wonderful Thai restaurant. The first time I went a few months ago, I got one of their monkfish dishes and it was delicious. Last night my friend and I had one of the deal rush vouchers. There were restrictions on it (ie. no soups or salads for starters) and an extra supplement for steak and fish dishes for mains. That was fine, except I love Tom Yum soup! Anyway, the starters we did order were lovely. For mains we both went for very spicy panang curry, mine was prawn, my friends was beef. They were delicious, fab flavours and spot on in the level of spice. The deal included desserts which were also tasty (I don't usually do desserts in any restaurant)! Then tea and coffee. The house white was lovely and very reasonable too. There's a nice atmosphere also. The staff were lovely, very helpful and very friendly. We sat upstairs, the only tiny negative comment I'd make is that downstairs, the lighting could be a bit lower, just a small turn of the dimmer switch and it would be perfect! I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank EMBH
Dublin, Ireland
“worst customer service ever and mediocre food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

we bought a meal deal voucher and were looking forward to a relaxing night out with good food, neither of which happened. the main course portion was quite large so i asked if i could take the remainder home with me, the head waiter told me that the deal did not include takeaway. Takeaways from the counter I understand, as they are obviously hoping in house patrons will spend extra money on drinks, which we did so i think we were entitled to take home the meal we had paid for. Dessert was not as advertised, i ordered meringue with pineapple and mango, what i got was a meringue with ice cream(as ordered) with sprinkles on top and no sign of a piece of fresh/tinned/dried fruit. with regard to atmosphere, the surroundings are nice with appropriate background music but unfortunately from the time we arrived to the time we left, 2 staff members were standing at the back corner table clanging cutlery, delph and glasses. overall i left feeling angry that this rare night out had been wasted unnecessarily. That night I emailed the restaurant to let them know how dissatisfied i was with the overall experience and to give them the right to reply prior to writing any reviews

The next evening the manager rang my husband and made the matter much worse. He explained that they have 820 sets of cutlery......still doesnt explain why they were cleaned and thrown into tin wine coolers for maximum noise in close proximity to diners. In relation to the dessert he said they were ordered in......this doesnt explain why other customers had fresh fruit on their plate and we had none. With regard to the "takeaway" situation, he said our voucher didnt cover us for the cost of the takeaway box. He continued to argue with my husband for a further 15 minutes. He explained that they could have up to 15 dealrush vouchers per night, to me this doesnt entitle us to an inferior service. They have lost 2 customers at least. My advice if you want to eat here is dont waste your money on a voucher as you wont receive a first class service. If you want excellent service atmosphere and thai food, visit the baan thai in leopardstown

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank guppy101
“Consistently Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have been going to Sawadee about 3 or 4 times a year since it opened a few years ago and it never lets us down. The staff are very efficient and the service is well managed. The food is excellent and it all comes down to the quality of the ingredients. The beef is fillet and is tender and cooked to perfection. It is only when you eat in other Thai restaurants that you realise how good Sawadee is. It may be priced slightly higher than other places but it is all about quality.
We usually sit downstairs where there is more atmosphere.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank octavia j
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent, authentic, if not cheap”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

We go here at least once a month and have always found it to be superb food - spiced as you wish and they are always keen to be as personal as possible when it comes to how you want a dish cooked. Great selection on the menu and the beers are also great (Singha).

I would go along with an earlier poster who commented on the aloofness of the head guy (he's Bangladeshi I believe) - he's not very friendly but that would be my only complaint about a restaurant that, in my eyes, always produces the goods.

• Visited June 2012