“Worst squid and worst service ever!”
Review of Sawadee

Sawadee
Ranked #381 of 2,639 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Rathfarnham
Reviewed February 28, 2012

After a day spent in the great outdoors my partner and I turned up at Sawadee having had a friend of ours give it rave reviews. We had recently purchased a "Value deal" for the restaurant but weren't looking to use the voucher tonight as the voucher includes starters and mains and we were hoping to use it on a weekend night soon. Tonight though, is Tuesday and we turned up without a booking to a restaurant that had two couples seated in an otherwise empty restaurant.
The waiter who greeted us, if you could call it that, asked if we had a reservation ( we hadn't) and if we had bought a deal voucher (we had, but hadn't brought the voucher with us). He stated that he required paper, meaning we couldn't just tell him the voucher number or show him the confirmation e-mail and as he led us to our table he told us we should have made a booking, I said that I hadn't thought we would need to given that it was Tuesday and that this was obviously the case as the restaurant was empty.
We ordered two noodle dishes - my partner's was to contain prawns and chicken which it did and both were plentiful. It was the flavour that was lacking. My dish was to include seafood, which it just about did - all of which was over cooked. There were two prawns, two small crab-claws, one mussel and three pieces of squid. I can safely say that the squid was the toughest squid I have ever tasted anywhere, ever! It was so bad that it made me gag and I had to leave the table to use the bathroom because I felt I was in danger of vomiting. I did not mention this to my partner who was still eating.
We paid the bill and I mentioned to the waiter who took our money that I had been very disappointed with my dish and I said that the squid had been very tough. The waiter shrugged and said that nobody else had a problem with the squid and he moved to turn away from me. I said that whether other people had a problem with it or not, that it was very tough. He said that they had only got the squid in last week! I'm not sure what this was supposed to mean but it didn't address my issue. He said that he would tell the chef but that nothing would be done because there was nothing wrong with the squid. I again said that regardless of his attitude or when the squid was bought in or whether anyone else had a problem with the squid, that I as a customer was saying that the squid was the worst I had ever had anywhere and he then nodded his head towards my partner and said in an accusatory tone, "I asked if everything was ok". My partner said that he had approached the table when I had gone to the bathroom to ask if everything was ok, but my partner had been unaware that I was gagging on tough squid at that point - all he knew was that he was eating bland food which he was prepared to say nothing about.

I have had dinners in restaurants that I know to be great or where I am a regular that were just bad dinners. I knew they were once-offs but I still complained. The danger if I didn't would be that I wouldn't go back or that the problem wouldn't be fixed. I have never eaten in this restaurant before and never will again because firstly the food was mediocre at best - I have had Thai food that was just as good from local takeaways, and secondly, the customer service was deplorable. When raising the complaint I was made to feel as if I was a raving lunatic and that my comments were unworthy of anything but disdain. The waiter was rude at best and offensive at worst. I will NOT use my deal voucher here but will give it to my friend who recommended the place. I will never eat here again. Ever.

3  Thank EmmaR73
There are newer reviews for Sawadee

Reviewed February 15, 2012

I'm never sure what to order with thai food but thats my fault!!

Reviewed May 29, 2011

Wonderful menu and staff. I have eaten in the better Dublin Thai restaurants and this is my favourite. Staff are very attentive. Food is well presented and always the best ingredients used. Certain larger Dublin city center Thai restaurants have forgotten their roots.
Instead of flipping tables they should concentrate on quality and service. Something which Sawadee has in abundance.

1  Thank POBLI
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Good value for early bird but a la carte can be expensive for Thai food. Nice surroundings and friendly, attentive staff. Definitely worth a try.

1  Thank roscowhitney