“Great place for a relaxed dinner”

The Canal Bank Cafe
Ranked #155 of 2,721 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 18, 2013

OK so it's 100 metres from the Grand Canal but once you get over that bit of Blarney this is a fresh open and gregarious place with friendly efficient staff, a decent wine list and an upscale casual menu.

I had excellent Hake on a bed of really well cooked celery (not easy) and a fine effort at a mezze starter. The other guys had chicken Caesar, burger, chiekc wings...youm now the score.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

As the title implies, the whisky sours made a huge impression on me. We tried to go back the next night so we could have another one! But the restaurant was full up.

It's a very busy place so a nice buzzy vibe and good people watching.

Food was very good, service while not unfriendly at all was a bit offhand we found.

The restaurant is upstairs so it is lovely to look out onto the gorgeous old buildings across the street.

Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

We discovered this restaurant when we were staying at the Leeson Bridge Guest House. It is only a block away. We ate there twice and had good meals both times. The first night I had the smoked salmon salad. It was meal sized, creatively prepared with greens, tiny potatoes, parsnips, and other goodies. The second night I ordered the mussels. They were delicious. My husband is a fan of spinach salad and liked his so much he ordered it both nights. There are nice wines and desserts to round out the meal. When the restaurant is crowded it is very noisy, so if you want a quiet meal go on an off night.

1  Thank Marion A
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I could tell this place was going to be good from across the street. So many attractive things on the menu it was very hard to choose - absolutely my favourite sort of food eg goats cheese with thyme honey, hazelnuts, silky prosciutto and very fresh salad leaves, excellent dressing. Lovely glass of pinot noir, friendly efficient staff, good buzz of conversation from evidently regular customers. It was just close to my hotel and I was working hard so I ate two suppers and one breakfast there - perfect poached egg (a good test of a kitchen), sourdough toast, generous slab of proper butter and such good bacon I got them to give me the name of the supplier. Flat white spot on and delivered with the food as requested. Highly recommended.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We tried this as a recommendation and having eaten at restaurant across street for 2 days straight we decided to give it a go for a change. First of all this must be the only restaurant that does NOT have Guinness and that was a shock. We had steak and fish and chips. It was all
rather ok, not terrible, not great.