“Gone downhill”

The Port House
Ranked #221 of 2,543 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European, Spanish, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: Located at 64A South William Street this beautiful and solely candle lit wine cavern has been stripped back to its original features. As a traditional Spanish tapas bar it boasts a fantastic selection of authentic tapas. The Port House wine menu is varied and full of interesting wines, ports and sherries at a very reasonable price, carefully selected from Spanish and Portuguese regions. It is the ideal place for one to relax, enjoy some tapas with a glass of wine and soak up the ambiance that makes this spot a must try.
Killarney, Ireland
“Gone downhill”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

My first visit here was very pleasant, I enjoyed the food, the service and ambiance.
However I've since returned twice, and maybe my palette has developed and changed, but I really find the food disappointing. Some dishes are a little oily, and others lack serious flavor. They all seem quite bland and just not up to scratch.
Staff are great, great menu, great ambiance, but for me the food needs major improvement and for that reason I won't be returning of my free will anytime soon

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Mary C

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
“Great atmosphere and tasty tapas!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

I have to admit that i haven't been to many tapas restaurants in Dublin but i have to say i really enjoyed the food, very tasty! I went here with a friend of mine who really enjoys the food here and it didn't disappoint! The downstairs is very romantic and spanish themed where as upstairs is a little more modern and a little less romantic but has a really nice atmosphere. The service was really good and our waitress was very friendly and helpful. Really enjoyed it and will be back to eat here again.

• Visited June 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Finally Authentic Spanish Cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Gorgeous authentic Spanish food in unique cave like restaurant. Very helpful & friendly staff, even if seating & service was a bit slow. Very good wine menu and food menu. Will definitely go back

• Visited May 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Little saviour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Found this gem whilst staying in Dublin for the 6 nations final (Go Ireland!), we had left it really late to eat and didn't think we would find a restaurant still serving as it was around 11pm/12am. After asking what felt like 100 restaurants if they were still serving, one recommended The Port House to me as a place that serves late so we went to try our luck there.
The restaurant itself is beautiful inside, stone walls with a lot of candles and ALOT of wine. The menu was excellent, with a lot of choice so you can order a bit of everything. We went for having 3 tapas each - the portions were a lot larger than we expected so this was more than enough.
I loved the Spanish omelette and my boyfriend said the chicken wings were one of the best he had tasted!
If you're in to your wine then you'll love this place. I asked for a wine list expecting a single sheet of paper - what I was handed was a full novel of wines, this included their ratings, origins, flavours, ect, ect. The red wine I ordered they happened to not have so the waiter recommended a different one - I'm not much of a connoisseur so this wine was probably better than the one I had ordered anyways; it was beautiful - especially with the Spanish food :)
The biggest surprise of all was when the bill came - the value for money here is insane!
Highly recommended!

• Visited March 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Was brought here for the first time. I have never had tapas before. The tables were a bit near to each other but the ambience and the service was top notch. It was perfect the way how the food gradually came out. Each portion was amazing and the flavours were delicious.
I will definitely recommend this restaurant.
The staff are super friendly and know what they are talking about. There is nothing worse if a waiter doesn't know something off the menu so well done, I know the restaurant was full and I had a lot of questions as I never had tapas before so thank you for your patients and time.
I will be coming back.