“French Culinary Star still Shining in Dublin City”
Review of La Mere Zou - CLOSED

La Mere Zou
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: A few yards away from the Shelbourne, the Conrad and the Fitzwilliam hotel, La Mère Zou was opened in 1994 and specializes in Classic French Cuisine; we also offer a large selection of fish and seafood selected directly from the local fishmarket. At La Mère Zou you can relax in a warm, familial atmosphere while enjoying the very best in cuisine and service. Our unique decor and simple seasonal food have made us a byword for fine dining in the centre of Dublin.
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I cannot believe that it is now over a year since I first wrote about this iconic establishment. How times flies! Of course, living in Dublin I have been here quite a number of times in the intervening months. I dined here again yesterday and I am pleased to report (as the other reviewers for this restaurant have indicated) that the standards are still as high as ever and that nothing at all has changed. Long may this happiness continue!
The food is excellent, imaginative and always has a comforting Gallic feel to it. The wines are well chosen, always elegantly served at the perfect temperature and the servers knowledgeable on the subject. The staff are welcoming and are invariably pleasant and helpful. The set menus represent very good value for money, particularly at lunchtime. Don't forget however to look at the blackboards for even more choice.
One tip however, it is advisable to book your table before arriving as the place can get quite full unexpectedly, which is really no surprise given its central location and well-deserved reputation.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I took two Canadian visitors to this restaurant last night.We had the early bird meal which was quite unusual and also very tasty.We found the staff who are mainly french to be so friendly and full of fun which made for a very enjoyable evening.I have visited this restaurant a lot of times over the years and always come away with a good feeling.Our visitors were also very impressed.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

What a cosy and atmospheric little restaurant! It's in an excellent location, right on St. Stephen's Green, perfect for going out for drinks after the meal.

The staff were fluent in French and very welcoming and attentive. We chose from the early bird menu, 3 courses for 26euro which was good. I had the duck starters which I have to admit I didn't really like that much. The cod, chorizo and egg for main was delicious! As was the trio of icecream and sorbet for dessert.

The only downside was that the wine list was quite expensive, in our opinion. The house wine was around 27/8 euro. I'd definitely recommend this restaurant though.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Authentic, fresh, beautifully presented real French food - the staff are fluent in French, a bit of the French experience if you're not planning on making it that far. Nicely tucked away it can get crowded at weekends so make sure to book a table in advance.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is the best restaurant in Dublin, and has been a consistent success since I first visited it in 1994, when it opened. At that time, few Dublin restaurants were in the phone book, as it took over a year to get an entry, by which time they had closed down. Zou has been consistently good value for excellent French cooking (better than most provincial French restaurants) and is entirely French staffed, including waitresses. Service knocks spots off anything in the same square mile.

1  Thank Alan W