“Good food, exorbitant prosecco!”
Review of Bijou Restaurant

Bijou Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Bijou Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #677 of 2,756 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: European, French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Rathfarnham
Description: Located in the heart of Rathgar village, Bijou is a bistro in art deco style with an outside terrace perfect to enjoy a drink & relax. We source local & fresh products to serve what are now signature dishes. Our style is relaxed, open and friendly. Come for everyday’s lunch, weekend brunch, our famous 3 course evening meal or anything in between!
Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

I like Bijou but I think it has changed a bit over the last few years. It was initially the kind of place where you knew you would get no frills, tasty food at a reasonable price and were always guaranteed a laid back, enjoyable night out without previously having to make a reservation. While the food and staff are both still excellent, it seems to now feel a bit more like an upper end restaurant and I think prices have crept up to match this. There are certainly still options for mains that are in the high teens / low 20's but starters and the more expensive items on the mains (steak for €30) seem a bit higher than they were. An example would be the silly price of €9 they have started charging for a glass of Prosecco. It wasn't exactly an earth shattering glass of bubbles and I think €7 would have been about right. All in all, still a good night out with lovely, warm staff but it is now firmly in the "special night out category" as opposed to somewhere I would have gone on a more regular basis in the past.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Have heard lots about Bijou - and finally got around to going there myself! WOW!!! This place is out of this world. The decor and attention to detail is fantastic. Great choice on the menu and the food is AMAZING!!!! I went for both the special starter and main course, asparagus with poached egg and parma ham - I have never tasted anything like it every mouthfull was delicious. Scallops and pork belly for mains was also a delight ( I've never seen scallops that big in my life!! ). There is a beautiful outside area upstairs with an open fire and heaters and when the hubbie, who is a die hard smoker, heard that you can book a table on the terrace for lunch or dinner he thought he'd died and gone to heaven! Staff very welcoming and service was excellent from start to finish - we booked a table for next weekend on our way out and are looking forward to it already!

Reviewed April 18, 2012

Having dined in a few city centre places, a taxi driver mentioned this place, about 10 minutes drive from Trinity College. What a find, its reasonable, great quality food and excellent service. The leather armchairs are so comfortable somehow I didn't think I was in Dublin. It was busy with customers coming and going - all happy. I chose the Fish and Chips, the batter was light - I also had a few beers. Amazing - with good staff. Great Saturday Night atmosphere.

Reviewed April 18, 2012

My last night in Dublin and i was at Bijou,Saturday night and busy. The waiting are good , they definitely go that extra mile, I asked for a Gin and Tonic with Tanqueray Gin,which they didn't have on their list, they literally ran across the road to the local Off Sales to buy a bottle - now that's what i call customer service. The waitress serving us was delightful. The food ,oh it was delicious ,having eaten in some best places in Dublin, rank this one high - it was also recommended by the receptionist ! To start we had Prawn Cocktail , which was excellent and for mains i opted for the Lamb Shank which fell off the bone, my guest opted for the Beef which was top quality. Yes this is one of the top places in my book - will revisit .

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Up in Dublin for the night. Went to Bijou for dinner - tried to get the early bird special but was 5 minutes too late. The portions are meagre - fish cake one small cake that you could consume in one bite, a few salad leaves and a daub of garlic mayonnaise. Fish cake consisted mainly of mash potato and had that preprepared feel about it marks 3/10 - mean, unimaginative and totally forgettable. Main course lamb shank - the lamb was obviously at weight watchers as there is about three bites of meat around the bone for €16.50 and three table spoonfuls of mash and a slash of gravy - in fact cardinal sin no.1 not enough gravy. Marks 2/10. In fact you could do a lot better yourself at home with little or no effort. We told the waitress and asked her to mention it to the chef and she totally ignored us. We found the service smiley but distant - if in doubt smile and you get away with a multitude! Waitress barely knew what the specials were, had limited wine knowledge and did take complaints. I made the mistake of going back - I won't this time - nice atmosphere, shocking music, limited smiley service and I had to go home for a sandwich after my meal. I told the waitress that but she ignored me again. €75 for 2 including tip and 2 glasses of wine - real value of the meal in my opinion €25.

2  Thank CondemnedDublin