“You get what you pay for and its great”
Review of Zen Restaurant - CLOSED

Zen Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: One of only two Chinese eateries in Ireland to be recommended by The Michelin Guide, Zen Restaurant, is thrilled to be celebrating over 22 years in business. Situated in the unique setting of a 150 year old church hall in Rathmines, Dublin 6, Zen is known for expertly serving up authentic Sichuan food.
Dublin, Ireland
“You get what you pay for and its great”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I'm not a fan of Chinese food (well the food they serve in your average take away or restaurant), BUT Zen is amazing. the food is so nice you get a good amount of meat/fish in your meal. some people think its expensive but you get what you pay for. I would recommend this to anyone who loves Chinese or doesn't like Chinese because they will start to after Zen. The staff are very professional and polite, the service is really good. The restaurant is a bit small but that's fine because you can have a conversation with out it being to loud the décor is nice and authentic looking. I have been here a few times with family and friends and the restaurant suits all. Over all try Zen.

• Visited February 2014

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
“Lovely food, good service”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We tried this restaurant with a value voucher and were more than happy with what we found. The food was lovely and presented at a high standard. The won ton soup was great and I'd highly recommend having this. The food we ordered for main was lovely and plenty of it. It is at the higher end of cost, but our voucher really helped make this a very reasonable experience. We would go there again.

• Visited September 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Over priced but better than your average Chinese”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

There is no doubt that the food is a cut above your average Chinese in Dublin but at €17 to €19 for main courses it is pricey for what you get. We had the duck with pancakes to share as a starter which was €18. It was very nice but there were some bones in the shredded duck. The main courses were tasty but not substantial so you would definitely need one per adult.

The service was efficient and friendly but we were there on a Thursday night and it was fairly quiet, so its hard to judge the service.

The dining room is comfortable and understated. The toilets were fine but were a little grubby as in they looked like they had been cleaned in the morning but not been cleaned after lunch.

One nice little touch was that they gave the children lollipops when we were settling the bill.

• Visited August 2013
dublin
“The best Chinese restaurant in Dublin”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

This is by far the best Chinese restaurant in dublin. The food is excellent, it's clearly made from high quality ingredients without any MSG. It's the only Chinese food I've ever eaten that hasn't made me feel uncomfortably full and I've been eating it for 10 years. The menu is pricey and the restaurant itself is dull but the food really is worth it.

• Visited August 2013
“Like I remember it...”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Having written an averge review last time I went to the Zen - I am delighted to say that our last family occasion was spot on! I just don't understand why the restaurant is not more full, especially on a weekend night. It should be.

It was nice to see some specials on the menu and the starter chicken wings was very good. The garlic chili beef was fabulous - a real spicy kick. All the food was lovely - the pang pang chicken especially. The portions were generous and all plates were emptied with gusto.

The Polish waitress was lovely and she was very helpful when selecting the wines. It was nice to underestimate the bill at the end of the night - considering we had starters, mains, desserts, wine and some alcohol coffees. I'm looking forward to my next visit already.

• Visited April 2013