“A Dublin Institution just needs a bit of Polish!”
Review of Thorntons Restaurant - CLOSED

Thorntons Restaurant
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: Thornton's Restaurant is an award winning Michelin starred restaurant located in the heart of Dublin City overlooking the leafy expanse of St Stephen's Green. Innovative and exquisite cuisine, presentation referred to as 'artwork on a plate' and service often compared to a theatrical performance make for a truly memorable experience at Thornton's Restaurant. There is attention to detail in every aspect of the experience, from the intricate food through to the impressive wine list and professional service. Our changing menu reflects the seasonal and local produce available to us and underpins our passion for reigniting the importance of the seasons. Working closely with our providers that supply us with the highest quality of ingredients, we can ensure that our produce is ethically sourced, sustainable and most importantly the best we can obtain. Head Chef and Proprietor Kevin Thornton is widely regarded as Ireland's best chef. Having featured in everything from the Irish Times to the New York Times, Thornton's is celebrated as one of the best restaurants in Ireland and is also internationally commended.
Reviewed January 11, 2011

I visited Thorntons on a quiet January evening. We were greeted by friendly young staff and taken straight to our table. My wife and I opted for the Eight Course Tasting Menu @ €125 per person. We would have liked a glass or half glass of wine with each course but I had a budget of €330 which would not cover that even though by any standards its a lot of money for two people! Anyway we were there for Kevins food (he was off) and that would suffice . I eventually chose a bottle and a half of listed wine within our tight budget.
Our food was delightful, creative and decadent with a few minor flaws which are relevant at this level of gastronomy. our bread should have been warm to appreciate the array of flavours given. Appetiser of smoked trout with lime consomme which tasted of shellfish but no lime. Foiegras and Partridge ace!, Beef Carpacchio underwheming, cherry tom with skins! Scallop & Truffle Mousse Great!! Prawns Light And Flavoursome, Foie gras and Truffle Dust intense and great, Foie gras assiette, the seared foie outshone all!!, Our two fish courses disappointed both john dory and seabass were marginally overcooked which didnt let them shine with the complex garnishes, Beef And Venison beautifully Garnished but again marginally overcooked for me. Tasting of apple had nice flavours but too much firm texture, Chocolate Fondue Ace did nt need acc. marshmallow and 100yr old balsamic. Petit Four very very good. Overall a Great restaurant kevins signiture dishes still shine strongest, some of the newer more complex dishes might need attention for the sake of consistancy and the heady standards set by this gifted chef. Service thoughout was attentive and friendly, the sommellier particularly stood out despite the fact he could not make a call on wines by the glass for my budget, i think some flexibility would help for people who really want to experience Thorntons.

Reviewed January 8, 2011

wanted to try Thornton's after having tried the other Michelin starred restaurants in the Dublin area. I enjoyed the dinner, with the extra apetizers, pre-dessert and complimentary chocolates with the coffee. I did find the wine-list poor for a 1*. There are actually some extremely fine bottles, but I found it difficult to get wine by the glass matching my choice of dishes.
Still worth going there as presentation and food make it one of the top Dublin restaurant.
Atmosphere was really quiet, but the restaurant was hardly half full.
Service very good, present but discrete.

Reviewed October 18, 2010

Three years ago we dined here and we were blown away by chef Kevin Thronton's food and his restaurant's concept. This time, both the food and the service had some sour notes. At this price point we were disappointed.

We ordered 5 dishes from the vegetarian tasting menu. One of the dishes featured white truffles that were not fresh and had taken on a funky ammonia aroma characteristic of a truffle past its prime. Granted, I'm sure acquiring a fresh truffle from Alba has its risks and challenges but if you're serving white truffles and charging a lot for them, then you should serve fresh ones or none at all.

One of the dishes featured cepes (porcini) ravioli but the pasta was tough. Both the cepes in the ravioli and the seared one on top of the ravioli were full of sand. Yikes.

As for the service.... It was good to start but towards the end of our meal and as the restaurant become busy, we were ignored. After the savoury courses were done and cleared, we waited for about 20 minutes for dessert to arrive. I finally gave up and had to ask the waiter when dessert would be coming. What arrived wasn't what I ordered. I had ordered the "Cashel blue cheese with grapes, apple and grape juice" and what arrived was mostly an assortment of French cheeses. I pointed out to the waiter that I didn't order French cheeses. (I live in France and eat them all the time) I had ordered the Irish Cashel Blue cheese. He then brought over a stingy little slice of Cashel Blue. The Muscat grapes that were served with the cheese were delicious though.

During dessert I asked to see the tea menu but no one ever took my order so I had no tea. By this time we had run out of patience and asked for the bill. We arrived for dinner at 7:00pm and left at 10:30 - way too slow for a 5-course tasting menu. I don't think we'd return nor recommend it to others until they sharpen things up a bit.

Reviewed October 7, 2010

Whatever prejudices you might have about this place should be parked. The dining room is cool, the chef's table is a treat, the staff are courteous, affable and professional and the food is superb. It is the brightest star in the Dublin firmament and the food is quite as good as I have eaten anywhere.

Reviewed September 14, 2010

This was my first visit to this well regarded restaurant. I thoroughly enjoyed lunch; the food was fresh, interesting, beautifully presented and well conceived. This is creative cooking without the sense of needing to make a point of to prove its worthiness. Thornton's represents an excellent dining experience in a beautiful restaurant in a prime Dublin locale.

My one criticism was with the sommelier. I felt pressured into going for by the glass selections when what I wanted was to choose a half bottle. As someone who collects wine and knows his way around a wine list this was a tad off putting; I shall put it down to the sommelier's youth.... Though the by the glass recommendations were good.

The staff on the whole were simply wonderful. I will be back on my frequent trips to Dublin.

I would also like to commend the Thornton's team for having a superb vegetarian menu. It's wonderful to see a fine dining establishment not treating vegetarian diners like second class citizens.