“Awful !” 1 of 5 bubbles

Thorntons Restaurant
Ranked #322 of 2,529 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: Thornton's Restaurant is an award winning Michelin starred restaurant located in the heart of Dublin City overlooking the leafy expanse of St Stephen's Green. Innovative and exquisite cuisine, presentation referred to as 'artwork on a plate' and service often compared to a theatrical performance make for a truly memorable experience at Thornton's Restaurant. There is attention to detail in every aspect of the experience, from the intricate food through to the impressive wine list and professional service. Our changing menu reflects the seasonal and local produce available to us and underpins our passion for reigniting the importance of the seasons. Working closely with our providers that supply us with the highest quality of ingredients, we can ensure that our produce is ethically sourced, sustainable and most importantly the best we can obtain. Head Chef and Proprietor Kevin Thornton is widely regarded as Ireland's best chef. Having featured in everything from the Irish Times to the New York Times, Thornton's is celebrated as one of the best restaurants in Ireland and is also internationally commended.
Dublin, Ireland
“Awful !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2009

Michelin starred restaurants are thin on the ground in Dublin and, having dined in Thorntons, I fear that there may be even fewer next year. Our dining experience was quite simply awful. There is ABSOLUTELY no atmosphere in the restaurant, and the owner considers himself to be above criticism, which he most certainly is not - when we politely expressed dissatisfaction at the long delay we had to endure before we were seated ( one hour later than our booking time), and the subsequent lateness of some of our courses, the owner very rudely blamed us for being late in the first place (we were 5 minutes late) and then said that our vegetables were cooked to order and that was why they arrived 15 minutes after the rest of the main dish!!! And this in a MIchelin starred restaurant! Indeed, it was his deplorable attitude and tone, and his horrible condescending manner, which irked us more than the food, which was in fact very good. The staff were also very helpful, in fairness to them.
This man must understand that people normally dine out at expensive restaurants because they want to be pampered and treated to an enjoyable culinary experience, and not to be ticked off for being 5 minutes late and made to feel inferior because they make a legitimate complaint. The bill - €626 for 4 persons (3 courses each, 3 bottles of pleasant wine, mineral water, tea/coffee) was outrageous, given the awful experience we had. There was absolutely no effort made to compensate us in any way for the delays we experienced so we had to pay the full amount. We did not leave a tip, which I somewhat regret, because it was not the fault of the staff. I am sorry to say that it was the disgraceful behaviour of the owner, rather than the food, the wine or the staff , which disappointed us. This place has already lost one star and it will probably lose its remaining one unless the owner changes his attitude to the people who pay his bills. Awful. Avoid.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank baqbaq

Dublin
“Average Michelin-Star Experience. - Needs It’s Own Premises.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2009

Went here last Saturday night as a birthday treat.
We both had the 5-course tasting menu. Some of the dishes were unique and delicious, while others I am struggling to remember. In general though, the food was very enjoyable, - as you’d expect for a restaurant of this class.

The waiters were courteous and professional without being over bearing. Not one of them were Irish though (why is this?).

The wine list was substantial, though the vast majority of the wines (red) on the menu were over (many way over) the €100 mark, which may be OK for those on a business account, but for the rest of us, there should be more choice around the €50 mark.

A nice touch was the head-chef himself came out, and asked guests how they liked their evening.

Overall, this was an average Michelin-star experience. However, I never like the idea of eating in an establishment which is part of a hotel. If this was in it's own bright premises, rather than in a dark room, 2 flights up some hotel stairs, I would have given it better marks.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BrilloAido
Oslo, Norway
“Wonderful food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2009

Visited Thornton today on a spur for lunch. We were met with friendely, smiling staff who got us a table. We were imidiatly asked what we wanted to drink and were served lovely bread rolls. The menu was small, but very interesting. We choose smoked John Dory for starter and had rabbit for main. The fish was very good, but we were pleasantly surprised how good and interesting the rabbit dish was. For dessert we had lemon pie. For all this we paid 25 Euro each. I say it was a bargain.

Dublin, Ireland
“Dissappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2009

it is easy to write a bad review on the net so firstly I wrote to the restaurant and pointed out my feelings, to which they replied. More later.
My wife and I visited for our 1st anniversary. We both left quite dissappointed. On arrival we were shown to a 'dark' table while all the window tables were free, we missed out the view over the park. Then we were only offered the Taster menu which was considerably more expensive that the a La Carte menu. The waiter recommended the Surprise Taster menu, so we had that. It took 4 hours to complete and I must say I was hungry leaving the restaurant, though I helped myself to my wifes leftovers also! The food was nice but certainly not amazing and definetly not enough of it (where was the meat??). They must have had a few spare Asparagus as it featured more than once in the meal!! The cheeses were absolutely gorgeous though.
The response I got from Thorntons to my letter was also less than sastisfactory, they pretty much blamed me, saying it was my fault that I was still hungry!!! They also said they will ensure that all customers are offered the a La Carte menu....too late for me!
I believe that a meal in a restaurant extends to more than just the food, it is an experience. I have eaten at alot of the top restaurants in Dublin and some around the world and cannot compare Thorntons favourably with any of them.
In short, my wife nor I will return willingly to Thorntons.

4 Thank fionny11
Flanders
“My most exiting culinary experience in Dublin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2009

In a short vacation period, I have been visiting 4 of the most recommended kitchens in Dublin. Concerning the restaurant quality, I'm lucky to live in Belgium and to have a lot of experiences in high quality restaurants. So, believe me that I'm very critical.
The place to be was without doubt the Thornton's Restaurant, where kitchen and serving results in an extraordinary experience. On top, I aprreciated a very good balance between price and quality.
Congratulations to the chief and his team ! ! !