“Wonderful food and service”
Review of Thorntons Restaurant - CLOSED

Thorntons Restaurant
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: Thornton's Restaurant is an award winning Michelin starred restaurant located in the heart of Dublin City overlooking the leafy expanse of St Stephen's Green. Innovative and exquisite cuisine, presentation referred to as 'artwork on a plate' and service often compared to a theatrical performance make for a truly memorable experience at Thornton's Restaurant. There is attention to detail in every aspect of the experience, from the intricate food through to the impressive wine list and professional service. Our changing menu reflects the seasonal and local produce available to us and underpins our passion for reigniting the importance of the seasons. Working closely with our providers that supply us with the highest quality of ingredients, we can ensure that our produce is ethically sourced, sustainable and most importantly the best we can obtain. Head Chef and Proprietor Kevin Thornton is widely regarded as Ireland's best chef. Having featured in everything from the Irish Times to the New York Times, Thornton's is celebrated as one of the best restaurants in Ireland and is also internationally commended.
Reviewed July 18, 2009

Visited Thornton today on a spur for lunch. We were met with friendely, smiling staff who got us a table. We were imidiatly asked what we wanted to drink and were served lovely bread rolls. The menu was small, but very interesting. We choose smoked John Dory for starter and had rabbit for main. The fish was very good, but we were pleasantly surprised how good and interesting the rabbit dish was. For dessert we had lemon pie. For all this we paid 25 Euro each. I say it was a bargain.

Reviewed July 2, 2009

it is easy to write a bad review on the net so firstly I wrote to the restaurant and pointed out my feelings, to which they replied. More later.
My wife and I visited for our 1st anniversary. We both left quite dissappointed. On arrival we were shown to a 'dark' table while all the window tables were free, we missed out the view over the park. Then we were only offered the Taster menu which was considerably more expensive that the a La Carte menu. The waiter recommended the Surprise Taster menu, so we had that. It took 4 hours to complete and I must say I was hungry leaving the restaurant, though I helped myself to my wifes leftovers also! The food was nice but certainly not amazing and definetly not enough of it (where was the meat??). They must have had a few spare Asparagus as it featured more than once in the meal!! The cheeses were absolutely gorgeous though.
The response I got from Thorntons to my letter was also less than sastisfactory, they pretty much blamed me, saying it was my fault that I was still hungry!!! They also said they will ensure that all customers are offered the a La Carte menu....too late for me!
I believe that a meal in a restaurant extends to more than just the food, it is an experience. I have eaten at alot of the top restaurants in Dublin and some around the world and cannot compare Thorntons favourably with any of them.
In short, my wife nor I will return willingly to Thorntons.

4  Thank fionny11
Reviewed June 28, 2009

In a short vacation period, I have been visiting 4 of the most recommended kitchens in Dublin. Concerning the restaurant quality, I'm lucky to live in Belgium and to have a lot of experiences in high quality restaurants. So, believe me that I'm very critical.
The place to be was without doubt the Thornton's Restaurant, where kitchen and serving results in an extraordinary experience. On top, I aprreciated a very good balance between price and quality.
Congratulations to the chief and his team ! ! !

Reviewed June 10, 2009

We decided to try Thorntons for my wife's birthday, given the high acclaim that Kevin Thornton has as a chef. Throughout the process of booking the restaurant, asking how the "surprise menu" actually worked and asking if there was any chance that something special could be provided for my wife as a birthday surprise, the level of professionalism was unrivalled. Due to the nature of the staff I contacted via e-mail or phone, I knew we were in for a good night.
The dining room is beautiful (despite other reviews I had read) and we were seated overlooking St Stephens Green. We elected for the 8-course surprise menu where not even the maitre d' knew what Kevin would be serving us! You basically tell them any particular foods you cannot/will not eat and sit back and wait!
Even though we were served with a prawn-based dish that we specifically said we couldn't eat, the food and service was faultless. It was simply whisked away (with a very embarrassed apology) and a promise of something "very special".
We left absolutely stuffed to the rafters after the 8 courses and a miniature chocolate piano "opera" surprise birthday cake for my wife, and just about managed to get through the petis fours also!
We were lucky enough to meet Kevin on two occasions during the evening, once as he was "doing the rounds" through the restaurant and also he was in the reception area when we left.
We still talk about the meal now and can't wait to go back.
Trip Adviser - please can you update the address of this restaurant!

Reviewed June 10, 2009

Good service, but no atmosphere. Certainly not blown away by the food. We have gone here as a treat and were less than impressed and will not be returning.