“Great Food, Sit Inside”

Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: Set in the heart of Temple Bar, Dublin’s Cultural district, The Shack Restaurant is a bustling and friendly place to come for the best of Irish and European cuisine in a contemporary and relaxing atmosphere. If you dine with us and you are happy. Please tell the world. If you are not happy. PLEASE TELL the MANAGER on duty who will do their best to ensure you ARE happy
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Right across the street from THE Temple Bar pub in the Temple Bar Square section of Dublin is this elegant little restaurant. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but it is actually pretty nice. If you sit outside, you're making a huge mistake. People will bug the hell out of you for cigarettes, food, money, your wallet, etc. The ambiance inside looked nice, but we unfortunately sat outside.

We had this delicious and light salad/appetizer which I no longer see on the menu. It was shrimp and salad topped with a garlicky salad dressing. The bangers and mash: HUGE and perhaps the best bangers and mash I've ever had.

If you're in the area--which, of course, you will be--this place is definitely worth the stop.

DavidPaulEllis, Owner at The Shack Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Thank You for your Review and for taking the time to write. Im really sorry that you were tormented outside, this is a fact of life here in Temple Bar and it is a great turn off I agree. The Council whom we pay large taxes too dont seem to give a dam, again I am sorry for this. Thanks for the positive comments regarding our food, its always great to be able to pass on great comments to our team. I hope we will see you again at the Shack. Regards.

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

After a heavy night off guiness and a day of being dragged round the shops and irish coffee breaks. The set menu done us well. ?13 for crab cake, mussels in white wine and a dessert. Just the job!!!

DavidPaulEllis, Owner at The Shack Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Thank You for spending a little time in letting us know of your experience, it’s great to hear you had a good experience. The Bord Plata Bia was inspired from the Japanese bento Box and has proved to be a great success since its launch early in 2012.

Thank you for your positive comments and hope to see you again at The Shack.

Best Wishes

Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

We went here as it was recommended on one of the sightseeing buses.
Service-quick, friendly and happy to explain what's in the dishes.
Atmosphere-lovely and cosy
food-it came quickly and was lovely
price-its not cheap but we had a 2for 1vouchers on the main meal only. The voucher came from the red sight seeing tour bus just ask the driver when you buy your tour ticket.
All in all a lovely restaurant located in the middle of temple bar area

Thank You for taking time to write your review. I am honoured and Grateful with your visit.

Im delighted you enjoyed your experience and that the Red Bus Tour proved to be successful in taking you to my Restaurant.

Thanks again and Best Wishes

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Every time I visit Dublin on our annual shopping spree we always eat at the Shack, I think its been at least 6 years running at this stage.
So again we ate there for dinner this time. The shack has a very good menu and you can make it as expensive or cheap as you want.
My experience here this time is that there is a new manager who seems very good at his job and has a word for every customer and the customer comes first.
As for the food starter portions are good we had pate and crab cake both were good. For mains two of us had steak and another had Monk Fish. Our steaks were luke warm so we sent them back and got them back again with fresh vegetables and potatoes. The steaks were cooked to perfection.
I have two problems with the food first of the vegetables were carrot and frozen peas therefore I think it lacks alot of imaginaiton why not red cabbage, mashed swede or cauliflower with sauce I felt very boring and should be better for price we paid.
My other problem is that the steaks dont come with mushrooms or steaks which you would think would be fairly standard so we ordered a portion of onion to share and it costed €3.95 this is simply not good enough for properly equivalent to one onion that got be bought cheaply and throwing a frying pan therefore they would really would want to reduce their side order prices which all came in at that price.
Saying that i will return again next year.

Thank You for being a long standing customer at my Restaurant and Thank You for the feedback. Firstly let me say, I have owned and operated this Restaurant for 18 years, and it’s been a pleasure throughout that time. We don’t have a new manager, John has been with us many years and thank you for the kind comments about him.

I’m sorry you don’t like the Vegetable combination, I certainly will raise this with the Chef, however, we don’t use Frozen Peas, these Peas came from my own Vegetable Garden in Wexford. Although we just cannot grow all our own vegetables, we try to use what we can from our own gardens.

I’m also sorry you feel the Steaks should come with Mushrooms, it’s something we can look at and I will raise this issue with the Chef also. However, your comments regarding the Onions is a little unfair." one onion that got be bought cheaply and throwing a frying pan". There is far more involved in the whole food production and cooking within a Restaurant kitchen than just "throwing in a frying pan", and staffing and overhead and indeed the cost of an onion all has spiralled not to mention taxation.

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts, and I will raise them with the Chef team. Best Wishes.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

ate here for an anniversay meal

everything was great except the gravy on my lamb tasted more like a granulated gravy rather than one that was made fresh.....bit of a let down for me as it was one of the main components of the dish

Overall good though, just a bit over priced for type of place

DavidPaulEllis, Owner at The Shack Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

Hello and Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am disappointed that you were not 100% satisfied with the Gravy, I can assure you, we do not use any premade or instant sauces, so it was made fresh, however, you did not like it, therefore, it is an area we must pay attention to and refine. So thank You for this feedback. I also note you felt that we were a little pricy, again Im sorry to hear this as with the cost of food soaring at present, food produce is not costing us double to what it was four years ago and we have not put our prices up since 2002. I hope your experience will not deter you from coming to dine with us again in the future. Thank You again and best wishes.