“Not as good as it used to be”
Review of Tante Zoe's - CLOSED

Tante Zoe's
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I've been dining in Tante Zoe's for about 20 years but hadn't been there for quite some time when I returned with my husband at the weekend. They've obviously tried to make things a bit different and while there are a lot of familiar dishes on the menu, they have 'reinvented' some of their classics like Dooky Gumbo and Blackened Chicken. The result is somewhat disappointing and a real case of "if it's not broken, don't fix it". They've even meddled with their previously scrumptious Mississippi Mud Pie and given it a ginger biscuit base. Why oh why??? This has always been one of our favourite restaurants but unfortunately the food is now decidedly average. On the positive side, the atmosphere was still nice and the service was very good.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

My friend had a Groupon deal and we could order anything on the menu without exception. So we were on to a winner to start with - 3 courses each and a bottle of wine - all for €40! That aside. I would say this restaurant is between average and very good i.e. GOOD - but I have to say that I thought the service was great and I am very particular about service because it makes such a huge difference to dining out. We had a table booked but it wasn't ready when we arrived......It didn't matter as their seated waiting area is very comfy. My only criticism would be that the lovely (& I mean lovely girls ;o) waiter did not offer a drink while we waited......they could make more money for the business so they need to clue in there.....however, when our table was ready, he could not have been more helpful and so naturally pleasant. The menu was interesting and the food smelt and looked wonderful as we passed other tables as we were shown to our seats. What I chose was pleasant but not exceptional. The Prawns I chose for a starter were over cooked & I would have like a little crusty bread to have scooped up the tasty chilli and garlic oil when the generous portion of prawns had been devoured and the Fish Cakes to follow, I decided, would be a better choice as a starter (which my fiend had) than for a main. They were nice but not as flavorsome as I had anticipated however, the potatoes wedges were lovely My friends steak looked and smelt gorgeous and she said cooked to her specification and she enjoyed it. Deserts were divine!
All in all I would return but mainly to check out the cute waiter again rather than for the food. It is on the verge of being a real little gem this place but they just need to inject more flavor into the food. Its a bit of a diamond in the rough.....

Reviewed April 10, 2013

First of all, this restaurant should do upgrade - the seating is really bad, 2 tables together which are not the The service - here I could go into details and if the owner reads it they would probably get fired. If it wasnt owner who served us:-)
Unfortunately I cant recommend

1  Thank scooby30
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Have been there twice and while we enjoyed the food the first time we felt the service was dreadful and the premises was cold and gloomily lit. Nevertheless, we gave them the benefit of the doubt (maybe an off day) and we ventured again recently. I'm sorry to say the "Eatindublin" reviewer put it perfectly, there is "no concept of time", absolutely none.

There is just one waitress trying to serve everyone. While she is a very friendly girl and she meant well God bless her, but it seemed the busier it got the more time she spent chatting to people at their tables. While a friendly chat is nice the poor girl seemed to think that is all there is to table service and she took it to the extreme. She would spend an inordinate length of time chatting at one table while the rest of the guests were twiddling their thumbs. The couple next to us said "we felt guilty about all the time she spent with us while you were still waiting to place your order". I responded that I felt sorry for them that she was still talking five minutes after she had written down their order.

All this time the owner/manager stood behind the counter chatting (to her daughter we were told) and never came out to lend a hand, no matter how busy it got. In fact while we and other guests were still awaiting service, she and her daughter disappeared out the front door to "do some shopping", despite attempting to attract her attention on several occasions. She had seen us and others come in and knew exactly how long we had been waiting to be served.

The lenghty wait was compounded by the coldness of the place. There appeared to be no source of heat anywhere. Both my wife and I and the couple next to us left our overcoats on, and the fact that there was a cold wind coming from the kitchen didn't help. The waitress informed us that "the chef likes to keep the back door open".

While the young lady owner (who eventually returned) is equally as friendly as her sole waitress, between them they don't seem to have a clue. It's a pity, because such nice people. I sum up by re-iterating "absolutely no concept of time whatsover !" I'm afraid we won't be giving them the benefit of the doubt a third time.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have been eating in Tante Zoe's restaurant in Dublin for over 20 years and our latest visit was 2 weeks ago. We were a little disappointed with the revamped menu and the service had certainly declined. Whilest we enjoyed our visit it will probably be our last. We were waiting about 20 minutes for our order to be taken even tho the restaurant was not very busy at the time. The food was good but the new menu was a little disappointing.