“Great steak, old-world service, but pricey”

Shanahan's on The Green
Reserve with OpenTable
Shanahan's on The Green is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #335 of 2,772 Restaurants in Dublin
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: American Style Steakhouse and Seafood Restaurant featuring Certified Irish Angus beef and the freshest seafood and produce from Ireland's local bounty. Shanahan's ethos is simple and sophisticated. Your experience begins upon arrival. Enjoy an aperitif in the Oval Office bar. Take a moment to inspect the impressive collection of memorabilia adorning the walls. Each item commemorates the U.S. Presidents with an Irish connection or ancestry. Marvel at the bar's centrepiece, JFK's rocking chair from Air Force One. Dining in Shanahan's is a delight. The elegance of the food and service, is maintained in perfect harmony with the warmth, which personifies the Shanahan's team.
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Ate dinner here with colleagues, and was mightily impressed with the food - I wanted steak, and steak was what I got. The side dishes are very large, so if you're a group, a couple to share is more than enough.

Service was very good as well, and we enjoyed a drink at the bar downstairs before our table upstairs was ready. Ambience in general was great - class and sophistication seem to ooze from the walls in this place.

Location is excellent, being right opposite St Stephen's Green and close to most hotels that business travellers at least would frequent - we walked 30 seconds from the Fitzwilliam and we were there.

The only thing to remember is that this place is pricey - not for the faint of heart, or those who need to keep an eye on the hole in the pocket. If you can afford it though, definitely worth it if you're feeling like a civilised Dublin evening.

2  Thank Wandering_Saffa

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We have eaten at some of the best steakhouses in the US, Bohannans in San Antonio, Hall's Chophouse in South Carolina, Prime 44 @ Greenbrier Hotel, Virginia, and Gibson's and Chicago Chophouse in Chicago... Shanahan's can compete in all areas except service. The food was priced well for the quality and quantity. The dining environment was consistent with a good steak resturant (Georgian style home that had been renovated). The location, right beside St. Stephens Park, made for a lovely after dinner walk. The only issue was the service, which was brisk, unfriendly, and passive at best. Steak was cooked incorrectly, water glasses remained empty, we waited for a long time for the dessert menu and then again to pay our bill. The service left you feeling like you were bothering the waitstaff, which was unpleasant. I would go again, but would likely be less tolerate of the poor service, the steak was that good.

2  Thank Tracy H
Reviewed June 17, 2013

A very nice steakhouse, staff are friendly and very helpful.

It's certainly not cheap, but then again, we expected the bill to be astronomical and just hoped the food would be as well. They have a set menu now which is 3 courses for €45 per person which isn't too bad either.

It certainly didn't disappoint, we had the Chianti Classico red wine which was very nice. The waiters were always very helpful. Complimentary bread is amazing, just don't fill up on the bread - easier said than done when the bread is so nice!

Steaks cooked to perfection as was the rest of the food. Definitely worth a try for a special occasion or splurging out

1  Thank William P
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I wasn't blown away by my 511 gram sirloin, especially for €48.50. While it was a big portion, was very tender, and was cooked to perfection - rare, as I ordered, there wasn't a great deal of flavour. Worse still, you have to order side separately, and pay upwards of €6.50 for things like onion strings, fries and spinach. That said, the servings are immense.
To be fair though, it is possible to eat more cheaply from the specials menu, which offers three courses for under €50.
Service is polished, but very formal, as you might expect from a restaurant with carpet.

1  Thank jedro11
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I recently had dinner with a friend here prior to a theater performance at the Gaiety. The atmosphere at Shanahan's is refined, very calm and very friendly. The menu offers a good variety. While my friend enjoyed one of Shanahan's famous steaks (he was VERY satisfied with it), I chose the sole. I should explain that - by all means - I do enjoy exquisite food in a nice setting and I don't mind paying for such luxury. But.... at nearly EUR 40 for a piece of fish with five tiny spring onions and a handful of cress-salad I expected that there would at least some side dish. Instead, an average portion of potato mash (called: whipped potato with butter) at almost EUR 10 accompanied my meal. No, I am not criticizing the food - all tasted nice but in the end it was just a piece of fish with mashed potatoes. Nothing even exotic or unusual that could have justified this exorbitant price. It's a pity but despite the good food I felt I had tripped into one of those restaurants where the tourist pays for the name rather than the food.

1  Thank Gert V