“Not Bowled Over...”
Review of One Pico

One Pico
Reserve with OpenTable
One Pico is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #169 of 2,728 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: A luxurious Michelin restaurant. One Pico is located beside St Stephen's Green in Dublin 2, next to all the major hotels, it is also just a 2 minute stroll from Grafton Street. Ideally open 7 days for both lunch and dinner with an extended lunch taking place on Sundays. One Pico has a well earned reputation as one of the very best restaurants. Run by restaurateur Eamonn O'Reilly. Head Chef Ciaran McGill cooks wonderful seasonal food with an ever changing menu. Service is lead by General Manager Andrew Scott and a wonderful wine list is compiled by Sommelier Arnold Legat.
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I was really looking forward to trying out this famous eaterie (and already a fan of the Eamonn O'Reilly model at the Greenhouse nearby). I felt the service was not up to scratch on the (not overly busy) Saturday night we (3 of us) dined at One Pico.

I am sure this was not it's par performance but did feel the attention to detail was simply not there for a restaurant at this level and price point. For instance, the bill came with a full bottle of champagne on it despite the fact we ordered, but they did not have as they later explained, a half bottle as per the menu. We agreed 3 glasses from a full bottle would be fine. I rarely read a bill on a night out but once this caught my eye decided to do so.

The food was average at best, no major feature to the dishes I had.

Try the Greenhouse ahead of this but don't be overly swayed by my review, it may have been a bad night for the house.

1  Thank JohnnyGdotie

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Opted for the 5 course tasting menu with matching wine. Excellent value as far as the wine is concerned. An additional €25, would not get a bottle of wine for this price. Was most impressed that none of the dishes served were replicated in the set lunch menu.

Started with Foie Gras served 2 ways accompanied by a lovely Monbazillac. Second course of crab wrapped in Kohlrabi accompanied by a new experience for me which was a sauce made with Calamansi, a cross between an orange and a lemon. Lovely and zesty. Next came halibut which was served with a delicious barrel fermented Sauvignon Blanc from Menetou Salon which accompanied the dish beautifully, the oaky texture accentuating the smoked ham pieces in the dish. My meat course was braised beef cheek accompanied by a glass of Tempranillo. For dessert, a souffle of apple and cinnamon with calvados ice cream. Again, delicious washed down with a lovely glass of muscat from Spain. All in all a lovely experience, the ambience was relaxing, staff attentive and discreet. Arnaud (i think this is the correct spelling) selected the perfect wine accompaniments and was very thorough with the wine description. It was most refreshing to have wines outside of the usual, predictable box. Dining alone, i was reading and before the main course, the waiter who served bread at the beginning, asked if he would leave the bread plate with me as he had noticed that I was using it as a weight to keep my book open whilst eating, which I thought was very observant, even bringing me a clean replacement.

It was great to see the restaurant busy on a Tuesday lunchtime as the last eim I visited was a Sunday and It was rather quiet.

When rating the establishment on Tripadvisor, and giving it a five, one is asked if it was one of the best meals ever had. No, it was not, however the overall experience for me, warranted the excellent rating.

I would not hesitate to recommend this establishment, I have been a few times over the years and have never been disappointed.

1  Thank flynn1812
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I had a fabulous diner with my work colleagues. Food was very tasty and worth every penny. Although, it was a quite busy evening, the waiter took time with our order and brought everything on time. Pleasant service, very elegant atmosphere and delicious food. I can surely recommend this restaurant to all food lovers Great job. The only reason why I rated it only with 4, not 5 stars is because we didn't appreciate the waiter pushing us to order more wine, extra side dishes, more of everything. We felt a little bit like he was up-selling as much as possible. I understand its his job to do so, but please, OFFER don't push. Its a mood killer. But that's all that bothered me, not a very big issue.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Went to this restaurant with friends recently. It was busy that night but the staff were more than capable of keeping everyone served. Food was very tasty, maybe a little pricey... €40 for three courses. Food was well presented, starters came on slate and main courses on interesting plates.There was an extensive wine list and well priced.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

The first time I was here was a few years ago when clients were visiting. It was fabulous and went down as my best restaurant experience in Dublin. I didn't write a review that time, so wanted to make sure I did this time.

Second time didn't disappoint. The staff were faultless - helpful, but discreet. And everything I ate was amazing. The scallops were perfect, the fillet of beef was melt-in-the-mouth and the chocolate fondant (for the second time) was as I remembered.

We were in a party of eight and everyone complimented the food. One person was a real foodie - he sampled everyone's dishes and had such an appreciation for everything he tasted.

I didn't choose the wine, but both the red and white wines were perfect.

At the end of the night, a complimentary assiette of dessert was brought out. We were full, but it was rude not to partake and they didn't disappoint.

This will go down as another fabulous night in One Pico. Well done!

1  Thank nicnac37