“Overall still great”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Growing up in Ireland I always visited Burdocks once a month, always a great experience. After 25 years away I returned to this shop 2 days after returning home and brought my wife. We really enjoyed the experience and brought back great memories. We have visited 5 times since, and introduced our friends who visited from the US to Burdocks in Oct and I must say it was great. While we will continue to support this great store, I will say that the quality remains great however it has been a little inconsistent regarding portions, we go for the cod and haddock with chips and it never the same potions, it tends to get smaller. Overall we still highly recommend Burdocks, no tables or chairs, all wrapped in paper, get extra salt and vinegar,,,,, DIG IN.

1  Thank John C

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Had a smoked cod and chips in temple bar friday and I have to say it was amazing :P the guy that served me wasn't bad either ;)

1  Thank Avadelaney
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Went here last weekend for the 1st time in years and have to say was less then impressed.
Ive eaten from Burdocks for nearly 30 years and where rebound for there portions and fantastic fish.
My wife and I bought fresh cod and chips and the portion where half of what they where 5 years ago, also scrimped on the salt and vinegar.The chips where a little greasy as was the fish.
I get a lot of visitors in my place of work and have always recommended them to pay Burdocks a visit when in Dublin. I may have to down grade my enthusiasm when describing Burdocks in future. May just recommend Macaris as their fish and chips is tastier. Sad to see this once fantastic fish and chip shop go down hill.

2  Thank JayB747
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I've been here a few times, and I was just back last week - my Irish friend said to go to the one by Christchurch since that's the original...I am sure they are all the same, but that was closer anyway. Then, the American friend I was with randomly told me he doesn't like fish on the way there... so he got chicken nuggets of all things. But, they looked good. I like the way they cook it a lot - some people think it's soggy on here - but it's just a little softer in the middle and crispier on the edges. It has a lot of extra batter on the edges but that's kinda good. It's probably 1500 calories but whatever. How often will you eat it? The fish tastes really fresh. (I just had the original cod & chips) I ate it around 7 PM and wasn't hungry again for the rest of the night...probably cuz the chip portion is huge too. I should have asked for extra ketchup though. The guy in the place was funny - I asked how much the water was and he said the price and added "though it's cheaper around the corner" - which was true...ha. I normally eat outside on the concrete step things nearby during the day, but it's kinda dark and a little sketchy at night..but .it survived the 10 minute walk back to the hotel and was still hot. Between the two of us - we still couldn't finish the chips.

1  Thank Inverary09
Reviewed October 28, 2013

It's not a five-star restaurant by any stretch of the imagination. Burdock's is what it is, and it's really good for an indulgent lunch that you can eat in the park. The only place I know on the East Coast of the States that comes close to this is A Salt and Battery in NYC.

1  Thank t0eplitz