“A place for a special evening”
Review of L'Ecrivain

L'Ecrivain
Ranked #184 of 2,665 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We found L'Ecrivain to be a balanced blend of top notch cuisine efficiently served with a refreshing absence of pomposity. I was surprisingly pleased with the mushroom consomme starter, despite the fact that I don't much care for mushrooms. My husband declared the foie gras - a favorite of his - excellent. We opted for down home entree choices of beef and chicken. These ordinary sounding dishes were anything but. I wish I could remember what the chicken was served with because the result was a combination of flavors that was possibly the best I've had.
We had a pre-dinner cocktail and a bottle of sancerre. The bill was pretty hefty, but we felt the experience was worth it.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Ate here last month, 4 friends who love eating on holiday in Dublin. We had the 7 course taster menu with wines at €120.00pp. We had a drink in the bar where we were personally welcomed by one of the chefs-what a lovely touch and taken up to our table when we were ready. We were shown the menu, although we had pre-ordered, to make sure that it was still OK, brought a variety of freshly made bread and then the evening unfolded. I won't go into the menu, you can look at it on the website. Each dish when it came was explained in detail, which was wonderful because there were many constituent parts. The accompanying wine was served just prior to that with a brief explanation of the wine itself and why it had been chosen to go with the dish. I can't think of enough superlatives to describe the food. The combinations were superb and the flavours exquisite. The time and effort which had gone into this meal were extraordinary so, unlike previous reviewers, we all thought it was good value for money. The portions were small but the amount of food just right.
Service was attentive but not overpowering. There is nothing stuffy or pretentious about this place. The staff were relaxed and happy to chat and answer questions about the food. The wine waiter was on his first night and nervous but told us that and did a great job. Sure he's in full swing now!
We also loved the decor which is elegant but understated with a beautiful indoor stained glass window which is backlit and looks like it is bringing daylight into the restaurant.
Everything, food, service, atmosphere came together to give us a memorable evening, without doubt the highlight of our holiday and up there with the best meals we have ever eaten.
Highly recommended.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

We had dinner in L'ecrevain last week and we really enjoyed our night. Martina the brilliant sommelier that she is brought us to our table and helped with the wines. She has fantastic knowledge of her wines and you could see that she was the captain of a very efficient team on
the floor. The menu has great variety and we both had a fantastic four course meal. We shared
our dishes and every one of the courses had great flavour and elegance. We had a brilliant food and wine experience and it was great to see how excellent the staff were even when Derry and Sally-Ann were not present. We will be back very soon.

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I came here for a special night. We had two main courses. A fillet for me cost €45, my partner had the veal, this cost €42. The portions were small. We got boiled potatoes, all else came at €4.50 a vegetable portion. The house wine came at about €10 a glass. An expensive night for us , I just felt we paid too much for too little... It reminded me a little of the " return of the Celtic Tiger"....

1  Thank MrGalway
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I've never been one to splash out on Michelin star restaurants. However, I came across a fairly decent special deal on a six course tasting meal at the famous L'Ecrivain and was intrigued enough to give it a go. The food was quite lovely and portions much bigger than I had imaged.
Our amuse buse of beetroot jelly with goat's cheese mousse and toasted pine nuts was delightful. A classic combination elegantly presented in a shot glass. For starters we both went for the loin of rabbit which was cooked to perfection and served with sauerkraut and wilted spinach, both my favorite vegetables. Then the palette cleanser arrived, again in a shot glass, of green apple sorbet topped with neatly cubed cucumber and mint chiffonade. It was clean, crisp and refreshing, absolutely did its job. For main I opted for belly of pork. The crackling could have been a little more crispy. The flavours were good and the meat was tender, but the skin was attached to a rather thick layer of fat which prevented it from crisping up. A rookie mistake if you ask me. My husband's corn fed chicken was nice if a little boring. He also claimed that the accompanying Dauphinoise potato was not as creamy and hearty as my own version. Desserts were by far the biggest disappointments. My passion fruit delice was perfectly adequate but lacking the zesty punch you wouls expect from passion fruit; whereas the better half's chocolate tart turned out to be quite dry and chewy, served with a quenelle of bitter and split chocolate something. Coffee was of good quality although I've had better espressos in small artisan coffee shops. The petit fours were a touch too big and overly sweet for me, but they could well have delighted someone with a sweeter tooth.
One another note the managers seem a tad overworked. It took one of them three tries to get my wine order right as she was rather distracted and run off her feet. The wait staff were very efficient and polite, if a little too stiff for my liking, but I guess that's what's expected of them. All in all it was a pleasant evening and it was certainly an interesting experience. Can't say we'd be running back for another meal any time soon though.