“Wonderful experience”

Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2014

A very lush restaurant with clean white walls and a lot of light. The food was quite amazing. I had a wonderful rabbit dish. The service was great. Not pretentious as I was expecting. The truffle chest was immense but wasted after the wonderful meals.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

While this restaurant has been a consistent purveyor of Michelin Star food, I have noticed an improvement in quality and a move to the more modern European style cooking of Scandinavia and Germany the over the last 3 years.
The other night we went for the 10 course tasting menu, and found it faultless in execution - Scallop, Halibut, Foie Gras, Rabbit, Venison, Goats cheese and Chocolate desert. Generous portions for a tasting menu, served at a good pace by pleasant and attentive staff on a busy night. The matching wines were as good as I’ve ever had with a tasting menu. The sommelier who has a excellent reputation was not present on the night, but her deputy was very pleasant and informative.
Highly recommended for a fine dining experience or that special occasion. We arrived at 7.30 and departed “all aglow” close to midnight.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

We've been to Dublin many times but this was our first, and hopefully not last, visit to L'Ecrivain. We were greeted warmly and the service was attentive but not intrusive. The food was delicious without being pretentious ( a big plus for me) If you're in Dublin this restaurant is a must. Oh! and great cocktails too

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Visited here on a wet January evening, just the two of us, myself & my girlfriend.

This was our second visit here, the previous one had been for a birthday about a year and a half ago.

We thoroughly enjoyed the first evening so it was with great delight that we returned expecting an equally impressive dinner and luckily we were not to be disappointed in any way.

From beginning to end this was a fantastic evening.

We had the 6 course tasting menu, starting with the amuse bouche of pea panna cotta with mackerel and an apple? foam. I really enjoyed this, it was perhaps the only course my girlfriend didn't like but that was more due to not liking the panna cotta rather than anything else!

Starters were salmon for her & rabbit for me. The rabbit was the pick of these, exceptionally tasty with beautiful presentation, as with every course here, and a wide variety of items that work very well together on the plate all cooked to perfection.

Next a palate cleanser of lemon sorbet with a nice twist on it with mint& lemon rind.

Mains were both spectacular dishes, I had the pork belly & my girlfriend the cod.

The dessert was probably the highlight for both of us with the salted caramels. This dish is a masterpiece to behold and even better to taste.

Finished with the petit fours. Again a lovely twist on these with accompanying dips. I'll let you experience for yourself if you visit.

The wine (just a glass of red & a glass of wine) was beautiful.

The service is probably the best in Dublin, the staff are all exceptionally well trained but also have personalities and will chat away to you (if you want that, if you don't they'll just continue on with their jobs professionally!).

Reviewed January 17, 2014

As a couple of foodies it has been our ambition to eat at L'Ecrivain above all other restaurants for 'ever' and we were not disappointed. We opted for the 6 course tasting menu which had a choice of 2 items for starter, main and dessert, that's my husband pleased straight away we can have everything. From the amuse bouche of crab topped with celery foam to the chocolate lollipop petit fours the whole meal was an extravagance of flavour and culinary perfection. Service from greeting to good night was excellent and the restaurant itself a delight.
I won't keep interested parties waiting any longer - the food.
our starters were cured salmon for him and rabbit for me of the 2 the rabbit was the preferred choice. This was followed by a palate cleanser of sorbet topped with lemonade which you were to stir and drink like a shot very nice and refreshing.
Mains were for him pork belly and for me cod both excellent and full of flavour served with the 2nd best baby potatoes we've ever had.
Dessert consisted of a very rich slow cooked chocolate sable for him and for me a delice of caramelised pineapple and passion fruit mousse served with the most amazing coconut ice cream that I have ever tasted.
The wine list is extensive and pretty well priced. Our total bill came to €240.00 which included drinks, wine and the 12.5% service charge.