“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of L'Ecrivain

L'Ecrivain
Ranked #203 of 2,526 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: French, Irish, European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
North Berwick, United Kingdom
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

We've been to Dublin many times but this was our first, and hopefully not last, visit to L'Ecrivain. We were greeted warmly and the service was attentive but not intrusive. The food was delicious without being pretentious ( a big plus for me) If you're in Dublin this restaurant is a must. Oh! and great cocktails too

Visited February 2014

• Hebrew first
Dublin, Ireland
“Lives up to billing again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Visited here on a wet January evening, just the two of us, myself & my girlfriend.

This was our second visit here, the previous one had been for a birthday about a year and a half ago.

We thoroughly enjoyed the first evening so it was with great delight that we returned expecting an equally impressive dinner and luckily we were not to be disappointed in any way.

From beginning to end this was a fantastic evening.

We had the 6 course tasting menu, starting with the amuse bouche of pea panna cotta with mackerel and an apple? foam. I really enjoyed this, it was perhaps the only course my girlfriend didn't like but that was more due to not liking the panna cotta rather than anything else!

Starters were salmon for her & rabbit for me. The rabbit was the pick of these, exceptionally tasty with beautiful presentation, as with every course here, and a wide variety of items that work very well together on the plate all cooked to perfection.

Next a palate cleanser of lemon sorbet with a nice twist on it with mint& lemon rind.

Mains were both spectacular dishes, I had the pork belly & my girlfriend the cod.

The dessert was probably the highlight for both of us with the salted caramels. This dish is a masterpiece to behold and even better to taste.

Finished with the petit fours. Again a lovely twist on these with accompanying dips. I'll let you experience for yourself if you visit.

The wine (just a glass of red & a glass of wine) was beautiful.

The service is probably the best in Dublin, the staff are all exceptionally well trained but also have personalities and will chat away to you (if you want that, if you don't they'll just continue on with their jobs professionally!).

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Galway, Ireland
“Wow a Michelin star restaurant at its best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

As a couple of foodies it has been our ambition to eat at L'Ecrivain above all other restaurants for 'ever' and we were not disappointed. We opted for the 6 course tasting menu which had a choice of 2 items for starter, main and dessert, that's my husband pleased straight away we can have everything. From the amuse bouche of crab topped with celery foam to the chocolate lollipop petit fours the whole meal was an extravagance of flavour and culinary perfection. Service from greeting to good night was excellent and the restaurant itself a delight.
I won't keep interested parties waiting any longer - the food.
our starters were cured salmon for him and rabbit for me of the 2 the rabbit was the preferred choice. This was followed by a palate cleanser of sorbet topped with lemonade which you were to stir and drink like a shot very nice and refreshing.
Mains were for him pork belly and for me cod both excellent and full of flavour served with the 2nd best baby potatoes we've ever had.
Dessert consisted of a very rich slow cooked chocolate sable for him and for me a delice of caramelised pineapple and passion fruit mousse served with the most amazing coconut ice cream that I have ever tasted.
The wine list is extensive and pretty well priced. Our total bill came to €240.00 which included drinks, wine and the 12.5% service charge.

Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent food and service - top class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Ate here last week for the first time. Overall an excellent experience and deserves its very positive reviews.

Staff are welcoming, friendly and attentive from arrival. Area for a drink downstairs before dinner is a major plus. The high-ceilinged main dining room is very tasteful and well-appointed.

Crab meat amuse-bouche had some very fresh flavours to get things started. Starters of salmon and quail were top-class. Fantastic presentation and attention to detail. Quail beautifully cooked. We both had pork belly. The cut of meat was excellent and very nicely cooked. Combination with black pudding and an orange (I think) jus was beautiful. Desserts of caramel and chocolate also excellent but chocolate slightly heavy overall as a dish. Wine selection including by the glass is very good and the dessert wine recommendation was perfect. Restaurant was full and atmosphere is good.

My only criticisms would be that the time between courses is very short so worth mentioning it to staff in advance if you want to take your time. Also, describing as a '6-course tasting' menu but counting amuse-bouche and palate cleanser as courses is a bit of a push.

Overall excellent. At 65euro for this standard of food the value is superb. A great experience and top restaurant to have in Dublin. Some reviewers far too harsh and maybe expecting the impossible just because of the star above the door. Will be returning.

1 Thank RestoRecords
“Service was good but overall not worth a Michelin star - sorry”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Service: The guy at reception wasn't that nice and he could be friendlier! However, credit to the waiters who served us. An Asian guy and this blonde Irish young girl were lovely! There were only 3 people working on the service team when we visited. Comparing to their supervisor/manager who was working as well, these 2 people from the team were excellent lovely and did a really good job looking after us.

Food: major let down! we went for the 6 course tasting menu. Comparing to other starred restaurants, it was below average. Especially with the pork belly I had - we understand that the best thing about pork belly is the crunchy bit on the top - but mine was hardly crunchy at all! which is very disappointing!The knife they provided for the main course was hard to cut in to the piece of meat too! They should have gave me a steak knife. I wonder if that was the problem with the knife or if it was the texture of the pork itself.

I personally won't even consider the "tasting menu" as a "tasting menu" - is more like a 3 course meal with refreshers and petit fours; unlike a proper tasting course that you can try 6 small portions of proper food... ... .... Price/value wasn't the issue; it was the quality of food.

2nd course was Quail - which I think was only 5/10; edible but not even that nice.

The have cod on the menu too (choice between the pork belly and cod) - defo go for the cod, it was nice. and comparing to the pork belly, it was way nicer!

Wine: The supervisor/manager chose a good bottle of wine for us - which is good.

Dresscode - smart casual is fine; is not that fancy so don't even worry about dress code, something appropriate would do you fine. Guys: Shirt/Jumper/Jeans is fine (runners might be a bit inappropriate); ladies: anything nice is fine and you can even get away with flats.

Bathroom on the main dining area - which is the second floor (first floors is the bar) was tiny. only one person can use at a time (1 male/1female) for a fine dining place, they could defo do something about it.

It was the first Michelin starred restaurant I have been that is way below average. Even some non-starred restaurants in Dublin are better than Lecivain. I would hesitate to go back.

I enjoyed the cup of coffee at the end.

• 4 of 5 bubbles