“Michelin - TAKE BACK YOUR STAR ”
Review of L'Ecrivain

L'Ecrivain
Ranked #184 of 2,728 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We had a three course dinner menu which was woefully overpriced at €75 per person. Incluing our bottle of wine our total bill was €220 for what I can only describe as AVERAGE food. It was a lovley dinner except that there was nothing special about it that merits the bill we paid. The bread was good. The amuse bouche was SO bizzare. It was chicken salad with a mayo foam. I had some kind of salad course which was apparently forgetable since I dont remember what I had and I ate there only 3 days ago. The Halibut was very nicely prepared and my husband had no complaint about his venison; it just was all so underwhelming for the price. It seems like from the other reviews that lunch is a better value. It certaintly merits no Michelin star but it is a solid meal. Just know this in advance and maybe you wont be disappointed.

4  Thank Travelsfar1234

Reviewed January 1, 2014

The amuse bouche was far from amusing and the foie gras was like a bush tucker trial. Also, the chef sent a member of staff to find out why I hadn't eaten my foie gras, which I found kind of embarrassing. Halibut slightly under cooked. Venison, one piece medium and the other well cooked, on the same plate. Flavouring, in general, would have been nice! Over priced for less than average food. However, friendly staff.

3  Thank Kee_M3
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Enjoyed a 3 course lunch for $25 pp. Our waitress was very pleasant and knowledgeable. Noticed that many locals were taking advantage of this luncheon special as well.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Michelin starred it maybe and on the basis of one meal it gets very close. However there was one nasty moment which was not addressed in any way.
I am an absolute sucker for foie gras but mine was so full of gristle and other "bits" it was uneatable. I pointed this out to the waiting staff - no apologies & no reduction in the bill (which I admit I should have done myself) suggests that this place is not aiming as high as it once did.
I was also surprised that they "churn" the tables. While this does not necessarily put pressure on the diners, it is clear that the kitchen are under extra pressure to keep up standards and therefore mistakes will happen. I think that is what what happened with me.
A visit to a Michelin starred restaurant is an event which costs!!! It should therefore be an experience of the top order.
As compared to other similar rated restaurants, this establishment falls short of the mark.
My feeling is that while they have a coveted Michelin star they are robbing their clientele blind.
I do not believe that this restaurant will continue to have their star for much longer

5  Thank ChooksonTour
Reviewed December 20, 2013

On a trip to Dublin a few months ago, we decided to dine in L'Ecrivain as it was near our hotel. We opted for the tasting menu. While the service was excellent, we were left disappointed with the food. All courses were quite average and my main course of chicken was served with a bacon powder which was far too overpowering.
It's not a good sign when your favourite dish of the meal was the palate cleanser (mojito sorbet, which was extremely tasty).
Perhaps our expectations were too high as we read that this was one of Dublin's finest restaurants, but the restaurant in our hotel was far nicer and seemed quite the hidden gem.

4  Thank MezzarM