“One of Dublin’s Top Five”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of L'Ecrivain

L'Ecrivain
Ranked #211 of 2,547 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: French, Irish, European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dublin, Ireland
“One of Dublin’s Top Five”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

"Ranked No.68 of 1,132 restaurants in Dublin” according to Tripadvisor. Your reviewers must be mad - I reckon it has to be in the Top Five. I have had lunch here a few times, including today when I, along with eight other travel writers, was the guest of a high-end tour operator (Boutique Journeys by Brendan Vacations, if you need to know) - so I wasn't paying the bill. However, cheap it isn't - but you get great value for what (and when) you do pay.

The ambience is good, the staff friendly and efficient, and the food and wines excellent.

My choices today were Free Range Chicken Terrine, Braised Shank of Venison, and Cheeseboard (foregoing Chocolate and Passion Fruit Caramel). You do not go to L'Ecrivain (or other great ones such as Chapter One or Pico's) if you are in a hurry, but I had a deadline to meet and so in the end I had to forego the Cheeseboard too.

If you have plenty time to spend (admittedly quite a lot!) over a lunch of excellent quality, then L'Ecrivain will not disappoint you. No.68? Come on, guys - perhaps you mean No.6 or No.8 out of 1,132!

• Visited February 2013

• Hebrew first
dublin
“Disappointing Steak and over priced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

When you pay €222 for a meal for two, you expect to have a pleasent evening meal.
The positives;- excellent, pleasant staff, beautiful ambiance and spacious tables and very welcoming. Scallops a beautiful starter, wine reasonable priced, cheese board good.
The BAD;- Hereford steak was chewy and tough, not what one woulf expect for €44, and sparse vegs.
V BAD;- Mens toilets had a request to place nappkins in bin. However, bin was overflowing and wasn't emptied in the time the 2 hours we were there. My wife found the seat on the ladies toilets was poorly screwed in place and needed a balancing act.
While we expected to pay a high price for a top rated restaurant, we came away disappointed and felt poor value in todays market. Not worth a Michelin Star.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank surfandturfDublin
Dublin
“One of my favourite restaurants in Dublin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife and I chose this restaurant to host our Wedding reception last summer. Its also where we had our first official date. Needless to say we love it a lot.

I've been meaning to write a review since they gave us a wonderful wedding reception lunch ... so I'm using our most recent visit as my excuse ...

This is the place we go for our special occasions because for us it is expensive ... but we love our food and when you add the excellent service and great atmosphere of this place it is difficult to beat it. Its a good place to bring a date ... but may be over the top for some first dates (thankfully I got away with it ;-)

The menu is changed regularly and with the seasons which is a reflection of a chef who understands a lot about good quality food needing good quality ingredients. Presentation is always very good and the emphasis is more on this aspect than providing a big pile of overcooked food as with other Irish restaurants ... but you needn't worry - you get enough to eat! Quantity does not equal quality ... good fresh simple ingredients combined well make for a great eating experience and place deserves its Michelin Star.

During my more recent visit I had a wonderful piece of John Dory accompanied by an excellent glass of Gruner Ventliner which was recommended by their excellent Sommelier ... For dessert we shared a sumptuous Jaffa Cake (no .. its got nothing to do with McVities silly!) ...

I also recommend getting there a little early to enjoy a cocktail in their atmospheric little cocktail / piano bar ... the barman has some great inventions for you to try!

• Visited December 2012
Dublin, Ireland
“Relaxed classy Irish restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Ate here recently with some colleagues. We all though that every aspect of our meal experience was seriously good. We were five in total and none of us ordered the same dishes for any course. Therefore we all tasted 5 starters,5 main courses and 5 desserts. The food was outstanding. Presentation, taste texture. One dish more memorable than the lt. The service matched the quality of the food. Friendly unpretentious and efficient. There seemed to be a good mix of people there that night, business people, couples and family parties. I suppose the best indicator was it was full in January and it wasn't a weekend night. Highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
“Great ambiance, attentive staff, amazing food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic menu to choose from. Scallops and chicken terrine was so flavoursome. The amuse bouche was delicious as was the sorbet. Textures mingled and the experience of each dish was just awesome. Very attentive staff, lovely room and great buzz for a Wednesday in January. Nice outside area if you are a smoker and good wine advice and expertise. Will be back.....hopefully soon!