“Great Irish food in the heart of Temple Bar area”
Review of The Boxty House

The Boxty House
Ranked #79 of 2,640 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant has been at the beating heart of a dynamic, contemporary community for over 25 years. Our customers experience a genuine taste of modern Ireland, full of eclectic talking points and the warmth of that country kitchen down the west. Today, our restaurant caters for up to 2000 local and international customers a week. The relaxed, warm atmosphere provides a natural habitat for conversation to flow easily and to share stories. Come join us in the heart of Temple Bar, and discover what it means to be Irish. Totally Irish.
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Didn't book but managed to get in on a crowded Thursday night. Excellent Irish food, really helpful staff. Only complaint was that we ate too much but of course that was self inflicted. Good value about 35 euros a head including drink and tip.

BoxtyHouse, Public Relations Manager at The Boxty House, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Hi and thank you for taking the time to share your experience of The Boxty House with others, We are so pleased that we were able to accommodate you and that you had such a great evening with us. If your only complaint was that you ate too much because it was so good then we can live with that!!! I hope you plan on returning again for another feast!

There are newer reviews for The Boxty House

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I eat here every time we come to Dublin. We love the Gaelic Boxty, Chicken Boxty, and the Corned beef. Staff is always friendly. Food is fresh and delicious. Eat early to miss the crowds.

1  Thank Nicole78374
BoxtyHouse, Public Relations Manager at The Boxty House, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

hi Nicole,
Sounds like you have become a regular guest to the boxty house and for that we are truly appreciative. We are just so happy that we are able to continuously provide a great experience for you. Please let us know when you plan on returning and don't hesitate to contact us if there is anything we can do to make your next visit even better!

Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Came here on the recommedation of the locals. I had the Guinness sausages. They were spectacular!!! They did not serve Guinness. Which I would imagine would've against the law in Ireland but never the less the Beamish I could highly recommend! My partner had the 3 stew combo and they were also delicious. A good option in Temple bar if you want something diffferent. The service was also good!

Hi Travelora,
we are so happy to read that you were pleasantly surprised with your trip to Temple Bar!

As you noticed we do not serve Guinness however we do offer our customers a very good selection of Irish stouts and craft beers. We like to offer something a little different and have made sure that all the beers we serve are of a very high standard and just as tasty!

We are delighted you enjoyed yourself so much and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Four of us enjoyed a great dinner at Gallagher's Boxty House on May 27. Although we were early for our reservations, we were seated quickly and warmly. Our waiter was very friendly, helpful, and, in fact, entertaining. We ordered a variety of items from the menu, and all were good especially the corned beef and cabbage and the platter featuring beef, irish, and seafood stews. The starters were good too. My only complaint is that the dessert featuring apple pie with basil was an ABOMINABLE insult to the apples and the ice cream. Basil and apple pie are just not a good combination. Tell the dessert chef not to experiment with a "tried and true classic". I would highly recommend this restaurant and would go back.

BoxtyHouse, Public Relations Manager at The Boxty House, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thanks a million for taking the time to review us, we really appreciate your comments and are so happy that you really enjoyed the food and service.

The apple & basil crumble is a fairly new addition to our menu and we realise that perhaps the combination of ingredients may not suit everyones taste, however, a lot of our customers LOVE it!!
Sometimes it is hard to get every menu item to suit all tastes, but we would love you to return and try one of our many other desserts, which I'm sure you will love as much as you did your meal!

Your comments have been passed onto our chef, we truly appreciate customer feedback, so thanks again for the great review. We look forward to serving you again soon!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

My partner and I came here in March on our first day in Dublin and were pleasantly surprised to find this place. From the outset the service was simply excellent. Unfortunately I didn't catch the name of the gentleman who served us but I remember he had quite a beard and a lovely disposition, if any customers are lucky enough to have this chap wait their table they will be hard pressed to find a more genuine or happy soul in all of Dublin! He even offered to take a picture of us when he realized that we were tourists! The food was just out of this world. I had boxty dumplings in a honey mustard sauce and my partner had lamb in a Boxty pancake, and both were just unbelievable. I have never had such lovely, tender dumplings and to have the meal washed down with a lovely alcoholic ginger beer was just such a lovely experience. We went on to have three more days in Dublin but weren't able to find a restaurant with an ambiance and great food that could beat Gallaghers. Would recommend to anyone who wants to sample some authentic Irish food at a good price!

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review, it really sounds like you both enjoyed our hospitality, food and atmosphere. It is our absolute pleasure to do what we do and when we receive feed back like this it assures us that we are doing it well!
I can see by your great photos that you visited us just before we renovated the restaurant so we would hope that you will return again some day and let us know what you think.
Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again.