Tripadvisor
Dublin
Post
Inbox
Search

“walked in on first day - went back again - very enjoyable”

Elephant & Castle Temple Bar
Reserve a Table
Wed, 2/19
8:00 PM
Ranked #492 of 3,348 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: Elephant & Castle, named after the London hub, opened in New York City in 1973. It was soon a favourite amongst New Yorkers and visitors alike, with a menu whose dishes soon appeared throughout lower Manhattan restaurants – imitation is the best form of flattery after all! It led us to adopt a motto at the time of “Copied by many, Excelled by none”.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

the food was good, mostly burgers, salads, wings.
atmosphere was good and very busy (we had to wait for a seat to be ready once)
would definitely go back again.

Date of visit: January 2020
PressUpEntertainment, Manager at Elephant & Castle Temple Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi SteveH493,

Thanks for taking the time to review us and we hope to see you dine with us again soon!!

E&C Team

Write a reviewReviews (3,411)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We went here after reading it was the top-rated breakfast establishment in Dublin. It was good but not earth-shattering nor would I say worthy of a top billing.

Date of visit: January 2020

Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Nice friendly staff with a good range on the menu all at reasonable prices. Good busy atmosphere.
The chicken wings are popular as you get half the Irish chicken population in a basket! So many and it will finish you before you finish them.
However as they are soured with vinegar then beware as this can make your lips and cheeks retract.....
Possibly an alternative coating would be an option. Otherwise well worth a visit.

Date of visit: January 2020
PressUpEntertainment, Manager at Elephant & Castle Temple Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Hi Spandau, thanks for the lovely review and we do hope to see you dine with us again soon!! E&C Team

Reviewed January 10, 2020 via mobile

I booked a table for 12 people, I arrived 10 minutes late due to bus being delayed and we were left waiting for 30 minutes, they had no table prepared for us and asked another table to leave so we could sit there. I was very unimpressed with this.

When it got to paying the bill, we all payed the right amount and we were told that we were short, when I asked to recount the money with the waiter he didn’t count correctly and flipped the notes faster than he was counting. I was very unsure of what they were trying to do so I said I would pay for it all on my credit card as I felt they were trying to rip us off. We were missing money, we spent ages trying to figure out where and when I questioned what seemed to be the manager I got a snappy and defensive reply.

I chose here for my 19th birthday and I feel they thought they could push us around because we were younger, I left the restaurant feeling very underwhelmed and cheated out of my money, I will not be returning. The only good thing about it is the food.

Date of visit: January 2020
PressUpEntertainment, Manager at Elephant & Castle Temple Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2020

Hi Ventisiblings,

Your table wasn't ready as the previous occupants were told they had to vacate by 6.30 when given the table, they were reminded of this as you and your guests were waiting. The table was ready at 6.45and all your guests hadn't arrived until after 7pm.

As for the bill, it was left short €53 and it is the responsibility of the table to pay the bill correctly and in full. There was also a service charge on the bill which wasn't factored in when some of your group were trying to figure out what to pay. It is a little unfortunate to see such a serious accusation being made against the staff on duty who were simply doing their job.

When you spoke to the manager she explained that the bill was itemised and even though someone paid earlier it comes off the total and not the individual items. The bill was closed with 3 credit cards which was the correct amount paid with no change due.

If you would like to discuss this mater futher please contact us on TemplebarMOD@elephantandcastle.ie

Reviewed January 5, 2020

Each time I am in Dublin, I have to make at least one stop here. The ambiance is frenetic, the people-watching is fun, and the food is great! On the most recent visit, it was just a quick pop-in dinner while wandering about Temple Bar. Though busy, my fiance and I were able to be seated quickly and our orders were taken without an inordinate wait. The crab cakes were delicious and my fiance is still talking about the tuna sandwich with tomato and guacamole. The location is perfect, the service is efficient but friendly, and the price-point is very good. It can get a bit crowded, an indicator of how good it is, so be prepared to potentially wait for a few for a table to become available during a mealtime rush, but it is completely worth it.

Date of visit: December 2019
PressUpEntertainment, Manager at Elephant & Castle Temple Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2020

Hi Scooby, thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review! We're looking forward to welcoming you back in the, hopefully, not too distant future! E&C Team!