“Superb”

Cuisines: European, French, Irish, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Recently ate at Chapter One. We received a magnificent welcome, and opted for the tasting menu and paired wines. Both proved to be superb choices throughout the night. Service was personal and the tables provided good space. The whole experience I found to be beautifully done.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,043)

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Decided to have lunch here last Tuesday with partner and mum in law before heading to the cinema. Restaurant was full and busy. The usual warm welcome, we all had the 3 course lunch and a lovely bottle of Pouilly Fuisse. The food was delicious as I always find it to be. The service however on this occasion was a little confused, this I believe is due to new staff, as I have dined here many a time and there appeared to be a few new faces. Couple this with a very busy restaurant and I can understand the slight confusion and us receiving another tables entrees. This of course did not take from our enjoyment as it might someone else who may have been first time diners at this establishment. Reading some of the previous reviews, the comment about 'is this a special occasion', being asked by the host, i think is a lovely touch. In our case it was not, but then as my mum in law responded 'being alive' (she is a fabulous 88) i think was as good a reason to be a special occasion. Chapter One is a very popular restaurant. If you wish to dine here at the weekends, book well in advance, and by this I mean at least a couple of months. Otherwise you will have a better chance with a table earlier in the week but this of course is not set in stone. I made our reservation on the morning of the day we came for lunch and to be honest I was most happy and quite surprised. I think I might make a speedy return visit before the month is out.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I recently ate at Chapter One with my husband and another couple. We had to book ages in advance to get the table, that didn't bother me at all.
First off the staff.. they were all lovely. We were greeted and seated straight away. I think if the bar had not been full we would have been escorted there, but we were told it was packed.
Every member of staff said hello to us all through the night if eye contact was made. I went looking for the ladies and one of the staff walked me to the door.
The food. I purposely didn't look at the menu until we were in the door. I can be fussy with food !
The menu is small and there were a good few dishes that I would not eat, but I was brave and went for it. I had beetroot to start, that was lovely. My second starter I struggled with, I ordered the smoked haddock, it was explained to me that it was served cold, but I went for it ! it was tasty but it looked raw, obviously it wasn't but I didn't eat it all....I had the lamb for my main, it was just divine!. IT was served with carrots and sweetmeats and mash. I didn't eat the sweetmeats.
The men in the group ordered desserts, my friend and I ordered cheese, there is a large cheese menu and we picked 4 each and shared them all. The crackers etc that were served with the cheese were beautiful along with the jelly (im not sure of the proper name for it).
The wine list was long and excellent, some of the prices are eye watering, but we found a lovely one that wasn't too pricey. The men were on beer and from what I can make out they have quite a small selection of beers, I think only one on tap, canned Guinness and a couple of bottled beers.
My husband was drinking one of the bottled beers, he ordered a second and because it wasn't cold enough they brought him a pint of Heineken on the house until his required beer was cold enough. I have eaten in places were things have gone wrong and you wouldn't even get a glass of tap water on the house.

One of the loveliest things about Chapter One is that there was no rush at all. We ordered our wine beers and it was a good 30 mins until our order was taken. I like that we had plenty of time to chat etc. I hate being rushed.

So overall I was really impressed with Chapter One, will I go back ? I doubt it. Whilst the food really is beautiful, there is a lot I wouldn't eat ... but that's just down to me.

1  Thank lea b
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Ate here with 7 others in October during the week, Place was buzzing and not an empty seat in the place! No recession here! We were taking guests from the Middle East and we were all very well looked after by the staff. The vegetarian option was fantastic for our guests and the wine not too overpriced! The non Veg menu had just a hint of being over smoked for my liking over all courses. Overall a great experience and I would go back.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

My wife and I had a disappointing meal experience in Chapter One recently. Like so many other reviewers, we had difficulty getting any available Friday or Saturday night for a table for two and were advised it would be January before one might be available. We decided on a Thursday night and we were delighted to get a table for the following week. We have had two great previous meal experiences although it was a couple of years ago.
On arrival we were warmly welcomed and advised that the bar was full and would we mind ordering pre-dinner drinks at our table. We agreed and were shown to a very nice table. We were given the wine and dinner menus and were advised someone would be with us to take our pre-dinner drink order. A couple of minutes later the same person arrived back to take our meal order. We explained that we had not yet ordered our pre-drinks. We placed our drinks order which arrived a few minutes later. Really from then on, while the food was excellent, our service experience went 'down hill'. There were long gaps between courses with no apology given. Our meal server was not pleasant and did not engage with us at all, even with regard to explaining again what we were eating when we were served. I was asked not to brush the bread crumbs on my table to the floor - that it would be dealt with quickly. We had to remind the server a few minutes later which was not appreciated. The Sommelier rarely engaged with us and in fact when we asked our sever if the Sommelier could suggest a dessert wine to us. A waiter came to the table when half way through the dessert course with a wine, which we declined. We would have expected the Somalier to engage with us to talk through options available before the dessert.
Overall, for what was a very special occassion for us, turned out to be a very disappointing experience. I'm sure a Michelin Star incorporates not just the ambience and food experience but the customer service experience too. I expected the attention to detail to be of a much higher standard than we experienced. Unfortunately we wont be back.

4  Thank Silverwedding25