“Great gem in Dublin”

Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: Chameleon in Temple Bar is an intimate, ambient restaurant that specialises in Indonesian rice-table (set menus) as well as a large selection of tapas dishes with the flavours of South East Asia, from Javanese short rib to our super tasty steamed bao to free range chicken satay to our delicious desserts, all made in-house! Since opening in 1994, its owners, husband and wife team, Carol & Kevin have made a point in using as much locally sourced Irish produce as possible, including only using free range Irish chicken and locally caught, seasonal Irish fish.Chameleon is ideal for a romantic get together or indeed, for your birthday party or Christmas party, as they can cater for groups of up to 40 in our private dining rooms. 100 Best Restaurants in Ireland 2013 - 2017
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I first heard about this restaurant via tripadvisor 2 years ago especially since it also caters for vegetarians..I then heard about it by word of mouth from other dubliners. I've been living abroad and only tried it out now.

It is a very unique and quaint little restaurant which is hidden from the hussle and bussle in temple bar. I was a bit surprised by the need to order a menu. I ordered the vegetarian early bird menu. It was simply delicious. It would have been nice to have slightly more curry but overall there was plenty of dishes (starter butternut squash spring roll, Asian salad, spicy rice and yellow curry). The service was professional and polite.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant to others.

There are newer reviews for Chameleon Restaurant

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Had a wonderful time at Chameleon restaurant with a group of 14 friends last night. The food was absolutely delicious and the atmosphere was not like anywhere else, everyone loved it.

Kevin O'Toole - chef proprietor, recommended the Opium room upstairs, where you sit on the cushions in front of low dinner tables (check their website for virtual tour). I was initially worried if everyone will enjoy this kind of set up, but fairplay to Kevin, he knows his job well cause everyone was delighted with the unique and fun atmosphere and enjoyed the dinner comfortably.

We ordered several Rijst-tafel 3 - Lombok and Rijst-tafel 5 - Sumatra to share between us and the food was simply amazing! My favourites among many mouthwatering dishes were "javanese short rib of beef" which was so tasty and was melting in my mouth, and black tiger prawns with chillies all served with basmati rice.

I had red wine Luigi Bosca, Malbec, Argentina which I liked a lot.

The stuff was very nice and friendly and did their best to make our time in the restaurant enjoyable.

The pricing is a bit more than the range given in TripAdvisor, but it is well worth it, and you can also see check it on the official website.

Overall everyone was impressed and we are already thinking of going there again!

Reviewed March 29, 2014

I arrived at chameleon at 10.55 on a Saturday night with my wife. It would have been easy to tell us the kitchen had just closed. Instead the staff set up a table and we had what can only be described as one of the best meals of our lives with amazing staff attending to us and to top it off we had the privilege of meeting and chatting with the owner who is so passionate about the restaurant that it's infectious. I can't wait to visit to Dublin again just to eat here. I can't recommend this restaurant enough. Do yourself a huge favour and take time to eat here when in Dublin.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Had a great meal here a couple of weeks ago on a Friday evening. Only just got in so advisable to book if you can. The food was fab we chose a set fish and a set meat menu (you have to try the crab cakes!) and were seated on the top floor sat on the cushions which was fun and different. The service was great and prices very reasonable. Would certainly recommend especially if your looking for a different dining experience. We will definitely be returning, oh and have a lychee bellini but be warned they go down way too easily!!!!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stumbled across this little place as a group with no idea where to eat! It turned out to be a little gem, the waiter was very helpful helping us choose a selection of set menus so we all had things to try and we weren't disappointed. There was so much food, but all well explained and lots of different things to try, meat fish and vegetables both spicy and mild. Very interesting and upstairs a few cosy corners with cushions around low tables which added to a great atmosphere. Highly recommended and do try the set menus!