“Lovely Sfaff great. Didn't want to leave”
Review of Les Freres Jacques - CLOSED

Les Freres Jacques
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: "Quaint but charming French restaurant in the heart of Dublin. This family-run restaurant has a regular clientele who come for the warm welcome and delicious seafood. All the staff are French and the atmosphere authentically Gallic. What's cooking: Classic French fare. Signature dishes include terrine of foie gras Maison with grilled country loaf bread and a glass of Sauterne, whole black sole meuniere and lots of wonderful fresh seafood and seasonal game."
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Early bird menu before the theatre Oh the food was so nice I was tasting it all night nice. Romantic restaurant Have booked it again for my hubbies birthday, Hope to see you there

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I lived in Dublin for over 4 years before moving to the UK for work and after recently visitinf Dublin decided to eat here with my girlfriend as the menu was interesting and well priced. This ranks up there with one of the gastronomic experiences of my life! If it was possible to give it 10 stars, I would! The reason for the cheaper price is because it used cheaper cuts of meat such pork chop and venison haunch but these are amazingly cooked and seasoned. The starters of garlic saussicon and goats cheese wrapped in string pastry are things that would grace any menu! My girlfriend rightly pointed out as we left- 'why has this place not got a Michelin star?'. I concur! The service was also superb and the french waiters are a credit to their profession.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Very good food. Stirloin steak cooked perfectly. Cheese Soufflé perfectly done, delicious rillettes and finally the chocolate cake with the home made ice cream were fabulous!! I have been disappointed so many times in dublin while going in restaurants, but this time, I was really pleased. One reproach: the tables are too close the one from the other.....

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I was invited here by a relation who had a voucher. Our coats were taken and we were seated immediately and asked if we wanted a drink before the meal. A very nice white sherry was given. Water was also provided.

As we were on a voucher the selection was under conditions but the selection was very nice regardless. The soup starter was Tomato, semolina and coriander soup, not overly thick and not a large portion (first of 4 courses).

2nd course was the Soused Herring and the Pork rillettes. The herring was very good and served on sweet tasting beetroot. The pork was served between bread with sun dried tomato and with pesto, though some might find it quite oily with all the pesto but the mix was right for me. Another nice part was they asked if we would like to keep the bread or have more, rather than just take it off the table like so many other places. In our case we let them take it but I missed it a little for the sauces, but if I kept it I'd never have made it to the dessert.

3rd - the mains. One sirloin steak and the Hake. Steak was cooked medium rare and the butter slowly melted over it. The Hake was a good portion and served with a spinach mash which was nice and creamy.

Dessert was the Pear millefeuille and the cheese board. Cheese boards was a selection of Irish and French cheeses, around 9 - 10 of them. Personal favourite was the Guinness cheese. All I recall of the pear dish was that it vanished in seconds despite protests about being too full to eat it.

We had some wine with the dinner, a merlot and an Alsace, both were very good. There is a wide range of red and whites available and there are plenty of spirits etc behind the bar. The food was cooked perfectly and not once did either of us consider asking for any additions. I didn't even notice that salt and pepper were on the table until were removed.

Staff are very polite and very fast, even with stopping to engage with the customers having a joke here and there. There is very little wait time between courses, which for the most part is fine, but I'd have liked a little more time between the main and the dessert (though it didn't occur to me to at the time to simply ask). My relation left to have a cigarette at one point and one of the staff quickly ran to get her a pashmina in case she got cold (and she probably would have since it was very cold out). Bathrooms are down a fairly narrow set of stairs, are small but very clean. There are no hand driers but individual hand towels for drying, which is a nice touch I thought.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Wasn't very impressed. Were using a voucher, choice was poor, menu presented on a plastic card, tables too close together so one felt those at the next table may aswell have sat with us. Service was nothing special, presentation pretty basic, will not be going again.