“Looking forward to going back”
Review of Les Freres Jacques - CLOSED

Les Freres Jacques
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: "Quaint but charming French restaurant in the heart of Dublin. This family-run restaurant has a regular clientele who come for the warm welcome and delicious seafood. All the staff are French and the atmosphere authentically Gallic. What's cooking: Classic French fare. Signature dishes include terrine of foie gras Maison with grilled country loaf bread and a glass of Sauterne, whole black sole meuniere and lots of wonderful fresh seafood and seasonal game."
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I was invited here by a relation who had a voucher. Our coats were taken and we were seated immediately and asked if we wanted a drink before the meal. A very nice white sherry was given. Water was also provided.

As we were on a voucher the selection was under conditions but the selection was very nice regardless. The soup starter was Tomato, semolina and coriander soup, not overly thick and not a large portion (first of 4 courses).

2nd course was the Soused Herring and the Pork rillettes. The herring was very good and served on sweet tasting beetroot. The pork was served between bread with sun dried tomato and with pesto, though some might find it quite oily with all the pesto but the mix was right for me. Another nice part was they asked if we would like to keep the bread or have more, rather than just take it off the table like so many other places. In our case we let them take it but I missed it a little for the sauces, but if I kept it I'd never have made it to the dessert.

3rd - the mains. One sirloin steak and the Hake. Steak was cooked medium rare and the butter slowly melted over it. The Hake was a good portion and served with a spinach mash which was nice and creamy.

Dessert was the Pear millefeuille and the cheese board. Cheese boards was a selection of Irish and French cheeses, around 9 - 10 of them. Personal favourite was the Guinness cheese. All I recall of the pear dish was that it vanished in seconds despite protests about being too full to eat it.

We had some wine with the dinner, a merlot and an Alsace, both were very good. There is a wide range of red and whites available and there are plenty of spirits etc behind the bar. The food was cooked perfectly and not once did either of us consider asking for any additions. I didn't even notice that salt and pepper were on the table until were removed.

Staff are very polite and very fast, even with stopping to engage with the customers having a joke here and there. There is very little wait time between courses, which for the most part is fine, but I'd have liked a little more time between the main and the dessert (though it didn't occur to me to at the time to simply ask). My relation left to have a cigarette at one point and one of the staff quickly ran to get her a pashmina in case she got cold (and she probably would have since it was very cold out). Bathrooms are down a fairly narrow set of stairs, are small but very clean. There are no hand driers but individual hand towels for drying, which is a nice touch I thought.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Wasn't very impressed. Were using a voucher, choice was poor, menu presented on a plastic card, tables too close together so one felt those at the next table may aswell have sat with us. Service was nothing special, presentation pretty basic, will not be going again.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

the venue was handy and the food was accepatable but nothing special. wine was half price min - Wed but in the end the experience was short of what was expected. waiters were over the top but harmless. Pity.

Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

I had the early bird menu
Slow cooked leg of lamb it should have read slow cooked rubber mutton

The mackerel starter was ok

Overall the quality of the ingredients was poor

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had eaten at this restaurant several times before and it was good.
However on this occasion the main course was terrible. Unfortunately we were totally constrained by the curtain up time at the adjacent Olympia theatre, so we had no time to send back the main courses and get a replacement.
I had the sirloin off the special pre theatre menu.... It is probably the worst sirloin I have ever had. It was cooked medium rare as requested but the actual piece of meat was awful. It made me wonder if a deliberately cheap piece of meat was being used for the special pre theatre menu.
My wife had a fillet en croute at a supplement charge of 10euro on top of the special menu cost... It was also quite poor.
The waiter did ask how the meal was but made no gesture on being told.
The service was in fact good and so was the starter but the pricey main course ruined the whole meal.