“Definitely not what I expected.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bellgrove B&B

Bellgrove B&B
Ranked #58 of 161 Dublin B&B and Inns
Bronxville, New York
“Definitely not what I expected.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2010

I chose Bell Grove for it's proximity to the airport, as I only planned to stay for one night before departing. I found such great reviews on this site and expected far more than what we got. I only had a quick chat with Paul, but Gussie was very nice and helpful with maps and directions. She offered us homemade soup upon our late arrival, but we declined, as we had just come from a late lunch. I have stayed in numerous B&B's in various parts of Ireland and almost all have had a common sitting room where you could relax and read a book or watch television. Bell Grove does not have that, and our only option was to sit in the dining room. Our small room was not ensuite, with the bathroom across the hall. Yes, it was December, but the bedroom was very cold. The heat had not been turned on before our arrival, so it was a little uncomfortable. As it turns out, we had to leave very early in the morning due to new travel security measures, and were not able to have breakfast before heading to the airport. When I phoned prior, I had asked about negotiating a price, since we would arrive late and not stay for breakfast. I was told we could discuss that in person, but the conversation never happened and I still had to pay full price. I believe we were the only guests for the night, and I just think it was unfair to pay for a cold room with bathroom across the hall, nowhere to sit comfortably, and no breakfast. We let ourselves out in the morning and never saw our hosts again. Apparently, this is a good location to travel to Dublin city center, but I would not recommend it if you are looking for something comfortable.

• Stayed December 2009
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ansky49

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2009

Wonderful Hospitality, Excellent Service, Friendly and Informative Hosts, Clean and Comfortable Rooms and Delicious Breakfasts!

I stayed at the Bellgrove B&B for two nights with my mom and sister. We had the en-suite guest room. It was very tidy and welcoming, comfortable and a good size for three people sharing. Gussie and her husband are wonderful. She offered the best advice on how to make the most of our time in Dublin and really contributed to a great experience. The public bus route runs right along Howth Road and there is a stop (going in each direction) right outside Bellgrove. Yet, even being on one of the main public roads, our room was not noisy as all.

My mom, sister and I do not need a lot of Frills to be impressed or satisfied. However, cleanliness, comfortable accommodations, hospitality and a personal touch are always very important and the Bellgrove House did not let us down.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FlyingGinger
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

We stayed 4 nights with Paul & Gussie - 3 nights at the beginning of our vacation and 1 night at the end. It's the perfect location - not far from the airport but an easy bus ride from outside their door into the city, getting off at the last stop (so easy!). And coming back by bus we had about 4 or 5 buses to choose from so never had to wait long. But besides the perfect location, Paul and Gussie were great. They provided comfortable rooms, delicious breakfasts, and lots of useful sightseeing advice.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

Stay here. That's all I can say. But if you need more: Gussie and Paul are warm and welcoming, charming, and helpful. We stayed only one night, but I would definitely book again for a longer stay. The location is just minutes from the City Centre, literally right at the City Bus stop, and also ideally located for the airport. Our room was large and very comfortable, attractively decorated. Gussie's breakfast with homemade scones was the best I'd had in 3 weeks, and my only regret was that this was the one meal I truly wanted to linger over, rather than dashing off to the airport (the cab, summoned by Paul, being right on time). I couldn't have asked for more, other than more time to stay in this pleasant and home-like haven.

• Liked — Proprietors
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Espoo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2007

We stayed at Gussie's and Paul's Bellgrove in Dublin 3 nights and really enjoyed our stay. The place is excellent, service, rooms, breakfast, location, everything. Bus stops and a railway/DART station very near by. We went to see wonderful sunset in the harbour villages of Howth and Dun Laoghaire, their piers. That was very easy with the DART.

Gussie gave us useful advice (attractions, shopping, transportation etc), both in advance by e-mail and when we were in Ireland. The place has even won awards (Highly Commended Award Winner 2004 & 2005 and Certificate of Merit 2006), and it is certainly worth of them. M&M&S

Stayed August 2007
5 Thank MikaP
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dublin
No photo provided
Cashel Lodge Bed & Breakfast
Shantalla Lodge B&B
Shantalla Lodge B&B
#17 of 161 in Dublin

Been to Bellgrove B&B? Share your experiences!