“Great value hotel!”

Maldron Hotel Parnell Square
Ranked #47 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 5, 2009

Yes, this hotel is a bit further from the city center than those in the Temple Bar area, but that is why I loved it. It was about a 10 minute walk, but what was great is that this meant the buses that go by at all hours were not right outside my room. Sure, there was some noise, but this is to be expected when you visit a big city...it's not the middle of the country!

The staff were great and always friendly. They even went out of their way to help us contact the airline about lost luggage. The room was nicely decorated. I especially liked the storage areas and the free coffee and iron and ironing board. The beds were amazingly comfortable and I did not find the room THAT small. The bathroom was clean and hot water was not a problem. The only complaint that I had was the many light switches and poorly designed thermostat, but those were minor and just took some getting used to.

We ate at the restaurant one night and found the food to be pretty good, for a hotel. The wait staff were very friendly, willing to chat with the guests for quite a while.

This was a great modern hotel that was well worth the price. I would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 1, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Maldron Hotel Parnell Square for three nights in October. A good hotel for the price. Room was small, but clean. Spacious bathroom. During our entire stay we did not have hot water in the shower, tepid at best. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to the city center. Overall, good accommodations for the price.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2009

It is spotless and quite good value for the money you pay. I booked through venere.com for 46 euros each night, breakfast excluded, but saw that for about 65 euros you could get the breakfast included.
The rooms are modern, with LCD TVs, and simple things you might need (kettle, iron), but there are some FLAWS dues to savings made on some things: after 11pm there is only one person as staff, who is then barman, receptionist, and anything you might need. So you will wait 30 minutes just to be checked in.
1st flaw: they didn't download the reservation I made through venere. com (and I may add, confirmed by this well known web-site) and they couldn't be able to retrieve it due to the incompetence of the staff. I had to wait for one hour just to help the receptionist retrieve the reservation and check me in
2nd flaw: they overbooked the hotel... hence I was put in the stickiest smokers room after I had booked a non-smoking room.
3rd flaw: on the 1st day they blocked on my credit card more that the money I owed them for the 3 night stay. Some random amount. Why?
4th flaw: the hotel is central, but bordering council flats etc... so central but nearly shabby area... just be aware of that

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2009

We stayed 3 nights and we got one free (118€ all the stay). It’s located near O'conell street but in the far away side from the downtown. It's clean, without great luxurious facilities. Check the discounts in some websites. Great value for money.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Albert0AA
Reviewed February 7, 2009

We have just returned from a short break in Dublin where we stayed at the Maldron Hotel. Yes, as other posters have mentioned, the hotel is not directly located within the city centre but it's only a few minutes walk to O'Connell Street (which has lots of bus routes).
The staff at the hotel were very friendly and accommodating. We had booked through last minute and accidentally booked a twin rather than a double or family room. Upon arriving we informed them and they gave us a family room in a quiet location of the hotel (as we were travelling with a baby). We found the room to be very clean and modern and good value for the price.
We didn't eat in the restaurant but it looked quite nice and with the exchange rate as it is, not that different in price than other restaurants in the city centre.
The local shopping centre is nearby with lots of shops and Temple Bar and the Grafton Street shops are only 10 minutes walk away.
For breakfast we would recommend the Lovin' Spoon (around the corner) or The Kingfisher (next to Tesco nearby).
Would stay there again especially with the rate we paid.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank dee0402
Reviewed January 29, 2009

I booked this hotel for myself and my two teenage children. The room itself was lovely, a bit small but we were only there for the night. We had twin beds and a 'put you up bed' (which was very uncomfortable, the matress was in two halves).

It was a very clean hotel and I presume it had been newly decorated. There was a smashed mirror in the lift, which really should have been replaced.

The room bathroom was lovely, spotlessly clean. There was a lovely long bath and a shower above it. The water pressure was great and there was constant hot water. There was a flat screen tv but only a few channels. The staff were brilliant, I couldn't fault them. Very polite and friendly. We had dinner in the restaurant and it was very nice.

The downside is the area. Its about 5 minutes walk from the back of the Ilac centre which is fine during the day but I wouldn't be happy to walk there at night. We were 5 floors up and it sounded like we were sleeping on the motorway, police sirens most of the night and we got very little sleep. There was also a Pizza place opposite which was open until very late at night.

I'd be tempted to stay at the Smithfield Maldron if I was going again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank magnumlady
Reviewed January 29, 2009

i booked this hotel for me and my husband after reading reviews on trip advisor, and cos it was so cheap on exedia, £44 a night!!

the hotel was nice, big comfy bed and flat screen TV. however we were given a disabled room so we had a big chair in the shower and the room was over a busy road which was quite noisy (didn't wake us up through the night though!)

there was no pay per view movies in the room, which was odd for a city centre hotel, after a busy day walking around we would have enjoyed getting room service one night and watching a movie.

I read that the hotel was in the centre but its actually NOT!! assumed i could wear dresses and stuff for a night and be relatively close to the temple bar area etc, which was actually about a 20-30 min walk from the hotel!
Don't get me wrong, for through the day it was good, because you got to walk past everything on the way to Temple bar, down O'Connell street, through various malls etc, over the bridge. But not ideal for an evening when you wanna roll into your hotel after some Guinness!!

I probably wouldn't stay here again or reccommend it to friends, but i suppose it depends what you want how much your willing to pay!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple