“Amazing suite but the service was not great”

Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Dublin
Ranked #15 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed October 4, 2009

We booked a very lastminute stay at the Radisson for the start of our honeymoon when I was too sick to travel abroad. We booked into a one bedroom suite having been told that now king bed junior suites were available at short notice.

The one bedroom suite was absolutely amazing and great for the special occassion. It was huge, with its own entrance foyer, a bathroom, additional toilet, large bedroom and huge seperate dining area.

I would rate the room as extremely clean.

The entire suite was modern but very tastefully and comfortable decorated. There was a flat screen TV in the bedroom, dining room and in the bath! The bathroom was the highlight of the room for us, the bath was huge and lovely, the rain-water style shower was also very large and great for a relaxing shower.

The dining room was not a great plus for us, although it was nicely decorated, you had to walk out of the bedroom, into your own foyer area and into the dining/ sitting room to get to it and so we only ever went in there to eat breakfast rather than to relax which we did in the large bedroom.

The location of the hotel is fine, no more than 10 minutes walk to Grafton Street/ Stephen's Green and Dublin Castle is on the doorstep. The actual area and views from the hotel are really bland/ residential.

Our room rate included breakfast and we paid €5 per day to have it delivered to the room which was worth it. The hot breakfast was so so in my opinion and I preferred the continental pastries etc. We had room service one night and the food was decent.

The hotel has free wifi which is a good plus, but parking is €10 per night.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel (although I can only speak regarding the suite) in respect of the room, as service levels are not necessarily the most important thing for me.

The service was disappointing at not upto a 4* standard. They asked when I booked whether it was for a special occassion and I told them that it was our honeymoon. Clearly no note was made of this as we didn't get so much as a congratulations when we arrived. So I couldn't help wondering why bother asking?

Despite being a 4* hotel and staying in a suite, when we arrived and left no one ever offered to take our luggage for us, in fact I never actually saw a porter there. Further the staff were not particularly friendly and never said hello etc.

The final nail in the coffin regarding the service was on check out. When we went to check out the lady simply read out the total to me and I needed to request that she showed me the invoice. On review of the invoice I noted that the rate for the Sunday was not the rate I had been quoted (other days were correct), I had booked at the last minute over the phone so obviously had no print out. I had to debate with the lady on check out desk for 10 minutes, with her offering to lower it but not match the rate I was quoted. Finally she agreed to charge the rate I was quoted, but then I wondered why she bothered arguing with me for so long as it simply left a bitter taste when I knew full well the rate I had been quoted as I had double checked it before agreeing (it was €80 less than the Saturday rate). Then rather than the usual "did you have a pleasant stay" or "we look forward to seeing you again" or "do you need any further assistance for your onward journey" or "have a wonderful honeymoon" she was extremely curt, which for the sake of €80 seemed silly as she was now risking our future custom.

My only other complaint for our stay was that on the Saturday night the 7th floor was being used for a function of somesort and there was loud music pumping into the 6th floor suite until about 12:30, which was a shame - so watch out if you are booking into a suite and check whether there will be any noisy functions late at night.

Overall I would stay here again/ recommend the hotel but only because I place room style/ cleanliness over service.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Schmaltzy

Reviewed September 29, 2009

We stayed for one night in August. The actual block the hotel is on is boring; not much on it. Other than that, the hotel is fantastic. Within 10 minutes walk to the major sites and Temple Bar. Completely modern, brand-new hotel. Prices were better than other places by a significant amount. Rates for the no-breakfast, pay-in-advance option were incredible. Really solid place and not overpriced in a generally overpriced city.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Very nice hotel, very close to Grafton Street. Stayed heer night of teh U2 concert. Bar and resturant look pretty cool but didnt use them. The bedrooms though are great, was upgraded to a business room. really cool rooms, mini bar, movies on demand, walk in shower, lounge area. Defintaley will stay here again when in Dublin

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2009

A great location for sight seeing. Dublin Castle and Christ Church are a few blocks away. A modern hotel. Very clean, very zen. Bathrooms are small but amazing. We would stay there again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2009

The hotel staff was very friendly, the hotel was very clean, and breakfast was absolutely wonderful. A tad expensive, but well worth it. Quiet, wonderful stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Nomad413
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Stayed here with my husband and some friends and had a brilliant hotel. Situated in the perfect position for all the sights and a stones throw from Temple bar. Rooms were excellant, clean roomy and well equipedand the bathrooms were amazing. Wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 19, 2009

we stayed in the radisson for 2 nights. the hotel is very trendy and modern with a spacious layout of lobby and restaurant/bar.when we arrived we asked for a sofa bed as we had another friend staying with us. there was a high extra charge but we got the room organized straight away. we were put into a business room that was very spacious even with the extra bed. overall it was first class. no faults at all. the room service we ordered was nice, breakfast was fabulous. with my food intolerance its not easy to stay away from home, but this buffet had everything like soymilk, gluten free bread, diabetic marmelade/jam and lots of fresh fruit.
normally i would stay closer to the city but its only a short walk from the central. the only thing i didnt like was the charge of underground parking for guests, esp. because the underground parking was a main reason why we chose this hotel.
i stayed in lots 4star hotels all over Europe and this hotel is really great. i stayed in the morrisson hotel a while ago for double the money and had the worst experience ever, so from now on i would go for the radisson.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends