“A pleasant (third) stay..”
Review of Griffith House

Griffith House
Ranked #105 of 149 Dublin B&B and Inns
Wexford, Ireland
“A pleasant (third) stay..”
Reviewed March 15, 2011

I have stayed in this B&B three times now as it is near the Marino college wher I attend a course on the first weekend of every month and will most definitely return. I have found the owner and his daughters to be friendly and helpful. Each time I have been asked what time I would like my breakfast and my room has been clean and comfortable. The breakfast has always been very nice...Overall, it is a cosy house run by nice people. In fact the last time I stayed I tried to leave a tip and the owner insisted I keep my money 'The price is the price' he said.. That says it all really. :-)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Monterey, California
Reviewed January 31, 2011

I've waited 4 months to write this review hoping to calm down. We Stayed 3 Nights, It was an awful experience. The WORST place we stayed in ireland or any where! We didn't have a conversation with the owner longer than 5 words. He was rude, in a hurry and to busy to help us, or even care what we needed. We had to communicate though a child. it was very uncomfortable. The house was cold and decor was....tacky Don't stay their.
It's not close to downtown, if you don't have a car, it's a mile walk to a bus stop. Then 15 Min. ride into downtown, If you plan to be downtown at night stay closer
It is on the airport side of town, so if you need a place to stay and your planning on leaving early it's a 20 euro cab ride to the airport. But don't expect breakfast HE IS NOT FLEXIBLE.

• Stayed September 2010
3 Thank smile251

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Wash DC
Reviewed October 28, 2010

Nice place outside the city. The owner was helpful but wasn't very friendly. On the other hand his daughter was a warm and welcoming and when she helped with breakfast we had a wonderful experience. The bed was lumpy apparently too much humpy and the shower was almost impossible to get in and out of. Overall it was a pleasant stay clean and neat

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Amazing B&B.
Clean and tidy, friendly owners and great breakfast. Perfect location (Griffith Avenue is halfway between the airport and city centre, so convenient access to both).

Highly recommended *****

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank blacon
MIDLOTHIAN
Reviewed March 23, 2010

A group of 5 of us stayed in the Griffith House during the recent 6 Nations weekend where Scotland were playing Ireland. Griffith Avenue is a 10 minute taxi ride from the city centre and is also easily accessible by public transport.

We had stayed at a neighbouring B&B 2 minutes away on Grace Park Road 2 years ago and were really annoyed by a last minute change in the price of the stay due to the fact our stay coincided with the 6 Nations. No mention had been made of this in our confirmation.

No such problem existed with Griffith House as Eugene went out of his way from the beginning when booking to give as a special rate and confirmed everything in writing.

We arrived late due to travel delays but despite the ever cheerful Ou welcomed us and made us feel at home instantly.

The rooms are very tidy and in a good state of repair. They are also comfortable with all the features you'd expect to see i.e. tea making facilities, flat screen tv, plenty of storage space etc. Two of my companions mentioned that the shower in their double room was a little cosy in terms of dimensions but it wasn't a problem.

Breakfast was fine and substantial. I'm sure that if there were any specific requirements then Ou and Eugene would have been able to accommodate.

All in all an excellent guesthouse and I would certainly return here again.

A further selling point of the Griffith House is its proximity to the Goose Tavern on Sion Hill Road (2 minutes away). This is a great local pub and I cannot speak too highly off it. The staff are very friendly and their is a great community feel to it. The patrons are older in general and there isn't any music to interrupt the conversation. If you stay at the Griffith House I insist you pay the Goose a visit as well!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank JonnyG7519
UK
Reviewed March 10, 2010

Stayed for two nights at this B nd B and wasn't impressed at all. The main negetive was the cold room which was freezing and the ensuite which was more like a broom cupboard was llike walking into a fridge, but we thought when we got the shower going it would warm up, wrong! the shower would not work and only cold water would come out! we dreaded having to use the bathroom as this meant opening the door and making the already freezing bedroom worse.Desperate for bath or shower i headed off to the shared bathroom which was clean but the toilet wouldn't flush properly and there was no plug for the bath, furthermore the lock on the door was dodgy so the shower i had was a quick one as i anticapated someone walking in it was not a pleasent experience at all. On arrival we had to ask for soap and towels and that sort of set the scene for our whole stay.I brought my husband over to Ireland with me and it was his first stay, as i am from Ireland myself i boasted to him about how Irish B and Bs are the best in the world as this was my experience having stayed in many over the years so i was dissapointed as there was no real Irish feel at all about the place. The breakfast was nice served by a pleasent girl who was attentive but the dining room was freezing too!! I did pass on about the shower and the other bathroom to the girl and she said she would tell her father, he did not approach us about this even though he was milling about, the ladnlady did apoligise and said she had checked out the shower which was now working, Too late for us as we were in the hallway waiting on our taxi to the airport.
My expectations of Irish bed and breakfast are much higher than this the decor in the rooms was dreadful dreary and when we made a cup of tea we couldn't drink it as it tasted awful. Just to many things that were so wrong. the pictures look much better than what you get. sadly i write this review not for me as i won't be back but for you so you don't be dissapointed. I wish other reviews had of warned me but i suppose we all have our different standards.Positive points good location bus stop just down the road to get to the centre and a nice coffee house round the corner to get a decent cup of tea and a bit of heat and warmth.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Saint Paul, MN
Reviewed October 17, 2009

Relatively short drive from the airport and from Dublin's City Center, making it an excellent choice for people who don't want to stay in the city. Very convenient bus routes too. The bedroom was surprisingly spacious, but be careful in the bathroom; it isn't designed for the larger framed person. Evenings in the area are quiet, and sleeping with the window open, you'd never know a major city is just minutes away. Breakfast is delicious, just make sure you go for the "Full Irish".

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple