“Budget hotel reaching a good standard”

Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel
Ranked #108 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
London, United Kingdom
“Budget hotel reaching a good standard”
Reviewed March 8, 2011

I stayed in the Travelodge at Ballymun for a week, also known as Travelodge Dublin Airport South, which can be slightly confusing.

All was fine, check-in was swift, although it's worth noting that there seem to be some recent issues with bookings becoming corrupted, and the hotel has different booking information to Travelodge themselves. The receptionist denied there was a problem but Travelodge e-mailed me to say it's a known issue.

The hotel's location is between the airport and the centre of Dublin, it's walkable, but you're better to get the bus. The number 13 bus goes from the city centre to the hotel, and there are airport buses to take you to the centre. Consider buying a ramblers bus ticket, for 1, 3 or 5 days, worked out good value, and it takes you to and from the airport, and to the doorstep of the hotel.

The room was clean and well presented, as was the hotel generally. On several occasions I saw staff cleaning areas that could easily be forgotten, the lift, areas of reception, and it appeared to be well in hand.

Price-wise, if you book in advance, the hotel can be very good value, just 19 Euros a room. It goes up, but is still very good value unless you book very near to the booking date, and even then, is comparable. There are many hotels competing for the airport market however, so shop around if the price seems expensive.

I found little to mark the hotel down, the doors of some rooms seem to require pulling tight very loudly, which can be of a minor annoyance when trying to sleep. The cleaners, who were very helpful and polite, did though appear to be recreating a dance of stampeding elephants at 8.30am. I understand they have a hard job and have to get on with it, but some guests might appreciate the quietness to keep sleeping.

Food is a big problem though for the hotel. Standards are not good, and the numbers eating in the hotel seem shockingly low for a large hotel. There is a problem here, the all you can eat breakfast promised by Travelodge's central web-site, and indeed on the booking flow of this hotel where you can pre-pay, isn't what is offered in the hotel. Food is over-priced, and appears to be microwaved. The latter is possibly inevitable, but a hotel this size should be doing something better with food.

Internet wi-fi is expensive, 35 Euros for 5 days, and again, Travelodge in the UK are quoting the wrong price on the web-site for this (or were at the time of my booking), they quote the much cheaper 20 pounds for 7 days cost in the UK.

Overall though, and especially if they sort out breakfasts and food, this is a very good hotel, and room rates can be very attractive. Recommended.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank annadavenport
LouiseManager, Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Good afternoon,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to review our hotel. I will pass on your complimentary comments to our housekeeping staff and our reception team, we at Travelodge pride ourselves on our friendly and courteous service that is given to each individual guest.
I would like to advise you that only in the last month our restaurant and bar has been taken over by a new company and I can advise you that there has been a marked improvement both in the quality of food and also in the quality of service provided in both the restaurant and bar.
I do hope that you will come and visit us again and sample our new menu.

Kindest Regards,

Louise and the Travelodge team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2011

Positives:
The staff were very friendly and helpful
The room was large and warm
Good parking facilities

Negatives
The food! - Both my evening roast dinner and morning full breakfast were very obviously pre-prepared and shoved in a microwave - deduced by the fact that both took about 3 mins to arrive and were pretty unappetising
Wireless has to be paid separately
No shampoo or shower gel provided!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Hi,

Firstly, i would like to thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel.
Thank you so much for your kind words about our staff, we at Travelodge pride ourselves on our excellent customer service skills and our friendly approach to all our guests.
I am very sorry that you had a such a bad experience with our restaurant, our Metzo restaurants have just recently been taken over and I am sure that when you visit us next you will see a marked improvement in the restaurant overall.
I hope that this has not put you off and that we will see you here again,
Kind Regards,

Louise and the Travelodge team.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2011

Stayed her a while back on a flying visit to Dublin. To be honest at first I was a bit put off. The cab driver said I was brave to be stopping in the area, but when I got there, there seemed to be nothing wrong with it. Check in was fast and efficient with a very friendly receptionist who gave lots of tips about the area. The room was nice and big, nice bathroom, big comfy bed and was of a very high standard.

• Stayed April 2010
LouiseManager, Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.

I am especially pleased that you found our reception staff to be friendly and courtoeus, we pride ourselves here in Travelodge on our high level of Customer service at all times.

Please do come and stay with us again,

Ennis, Ireland
Reviewed February 20, 2011

this hotel is conveniently located near dublin airport and transport is very accessible into the city centre. i had stayed in this hotel previously and did not have any problems then however during the night a very drunk person gained access to the hotel and positioned thmselves loudly outside my bedroom door. i opened the door after 20 minutes and asked them to move. they didnt so i contacted the hotel reception and they dealt with it. the police had to be called adn i discussed it with the receptionist the next morning. the security used to be tighter there in that you needed to use your room card for the lift and carpark etc but they removed some security measures due to complaints about too much security i guess!
i would prefer the old system!
the room was very bare and no shampoo provided adn if you are coming from the airport chances are you wont have these things if you are a ryanair customer!
a little welcome pack would be great with a toothbrush and toothpaste even if you had to pay a couple of euro for this.
the staff are really lovely and have not changed and are from the locality so have wonderful knowledge. they are very helpful and there is a tesco store across the road so you can buy fruit etc.
there are no spoons in the room just stirrers so i was disappointed when i bought yogurt that i had no spoon!
these rooms are great value if you have 2 or 3 people as a tripple room is the same price as a single room but i thought it was not great value for 1.
hotels in the D4 area are the same price and alot more comfortable.
Once again my main issue is security.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
LouiseManager, Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
Hello,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I would like to apologise for the fact that you were disrupted during your stay at Travelodge, the security changes that have taken place are due to the fact that the key card machine in the lift kept breaking and therefore causing delays in the lift when it was called. We do still have a security lock on the main door between reception and the lifts to the rooms were you do have to have a key to get through.
We do not provide shampoo, toothpaste etc in the rooms so that we can keep the cost of our rooms at a lower price, we are however looking into getting a system whereby you can purchase these items either at reception or from a machine for a small price.
I am very happy that you found our staff to be friendly and courteous, in Travelodge ballymun we pride ourselves on our Excellent Customer service provided by our staff at all times.
I do hope that you will come back and stay with us again,

Galway Ireland
Reviewed February 17, 2011

I stayed in Travelodge the night before a long flight. When i arrived i was pleasently suprised, it was bright, spacious, clean and simply decorated. The receptionist was a local and extremely friendly and helpful. She recommened the local shop and restraunts. After the friendly check in, i went to my room, it was lovely. Had a very good nights sleep. There is a bistro in the hotel, food is tasty and priced to suite anyones budget.
I was highly recommend the Travelodge Ballymun if you are on business in the area, need to catch a flight or otherwise.
The price was excellent, if service and price's remained like this, it would definatley be my 1st choice of hotels to stay in around the airport!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the hotel to be good value for money and the staff friendly and courteous

I hope that we will see you again for another visit.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2011

We stayed there last month. the hotel is very clean, rooms are really nice and beds are comfortable,the staff is amazing- really friendly and helphful.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Travelodge_Manager1, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2011
Dear Shannon055,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel.

I am really pleased you found your stay value for money, the rooms clean and comfortable and you liked our team.

I hope we see you again in the future!

Kind regards,

Laura and The Travelodge Team.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2011

I stayed with my partner and her sister at the weekend for 1 night and it was in my opinion one of the worst places ever. The beds were not clean and also when we arrived we had to be moved three times until we were given a room that the toilet functioned in. Also when we settled on the third room the shower didnt work, so I gave up and resigned to the fact that I wouldnt be getting a shower. I have to say the reception were always friendly, but standards are not good enough at this place!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Travelodge_Manager1, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2011
Dear Susuke,

I am very concerned to read your comments and would like to discuss with you further the issues during your stay. I would be really grateful if you could email me at laura.stopforth@travelodge.ie with your name and the room number you stayed in and if you possibly remember the ones you were moved from and I can assure you I will investigate it further.

We pride ourselves on the standard of our rooms and also our customer service and if on this occasion we have not achieved this I would like the opportunity to put this right.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Kind regards,

Laura Stopforth.

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dublin
Kilmainham
Sheldon Park Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#67 of 151 in Dublin

Been to Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel? Share your experiences!