“Dublin Airport Hotel”

Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel
Ranked #110 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed April 21, 2014

great location and a great price rate for night before departing stay. some rooms overlook active courtyard - noise can be an issue in the evening. walls not so sound proof inside hotel as well. free and plenty of parking available.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
1  Thank Jane R
There are newer reviews for Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel

Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is okay, but due to the location and what you get in your room, it is incredibly over priced, it's a clean facility but for the amount we paid we expected quite a bit more, but the staff were quite nice! And it's just a short ride to the airport

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Dana M
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I was in Dublin at a prewash tourist time and could not get reservations at a place closer to the heart of the city. Other than the location (which is resolvable since it is well connected by bus) the Travelodge was clean, tidy and affordable. The people were also very accommodating and helpful and took good care of all requests.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Travellerjuly
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I'm really not one to leave bad reviews willy nilly, and always believe in praising somebody when they have done a good job, but frankly, this hotel does not deserve my time, my praise, or my effort in which to do so.

Firstly, the hotel is located in a pretty rough area of Dublin that you really wouldn't want to walk around in after dark.This is not the hotels fault obviously, but you feel as if the hotel should provide some sort of refuge from this atmosphere. It doesn't.

A lady at reception checked us in. She wasn't rude to us personally, but was quite abrupt and didn't crack a smile once. We let that one go as we proceeded to go into our room for the first time. The halls stank of stale smoke, occasionally intermingling with the whiff of weed. Outside of our room was a Tesco shopping trolley filled with bin bags full of rubbish which continued to stay outside our room for the duration of our stay. It was later joined in further days by a basket of dirty laundry. The room absolutely stunk of stale smoke. The curtains had dirty stains on. The window didn't shut properly letting in more street noise. The remote control was filthy, sticky, and missing a battery cover. There were white plaster marks on the walls were holes had been filled in and not been repainted. The bathroom tiles had cracks in on the floor. I found a few dark hairs inside our bed. The peephole on our door was missing leaving a big hole in the door which we had to block with tissue for privacy. We decided to let this go the first day as we were aware that this was a budget hotel, plus we were tired from travel.

We were staying in room 126 for four nights as a base to travel into Dublin. Thankfully, we had hired a car as the hotel is located neither closely to the airport or close to Dublin. Coming back the second night our key to our hotel door didn't work. From that moment on, whenever we used our door key the key would become invalid and my husband would have to trundle downstairs to get the key reactivated. This was mighty annoying. That night we were woken up by noisy parents shouting at their kids in the room next door. There was an adjoining door in our room to the next room. It was locked, but allowed all the noise from next door to travel through between the rooms. We didn't get much sleep that night.

The next day, I had a shower. I went to use the hair dryer provided by the hotel and it didn't work, in fact it illuminated red, got hot, didn't blow any air and smelt like burning wires which didn't seem safe. I went to make a cup of tea for me and my husband and one out of the 3 cups provided was dirty. I went down to reception to ask for more sachets of milk (these were not restocked once during our stay) in the afternoon and was given some more by a lady on reception. I went down again later in the evening to ask for more milk sachets (as I drink a lot of hot drinks) to be told very abruptly by a man viewing your CCTV system simply "No". There was no pleasantries, he didn't even bother to check. I find it hard to believe that you had no milk for any of the rooms at all.

By the third day (Saturday) we came back to the hotel to find there was karaoke in the bar. The music and noise was really loud and could be heard in our room two floors away. This kept myself and my husband awake, while the rabble outside swore and fought amongst themselves with language I don't want used in front of my husbands 13 year old daughter who was travelling with us.

By the fourth day, we didn't sleep all night because of a new resident in the next room, who's television kept us awake all night through the locked adjoining door. We left the hotel at 5am, hours early for our flight home, unwilling to stay in this place any longer. We couldn't get out of there quick enough.

I understand this is a budget hotel, but there's a difference between being a budget residence and being lazy, and that's what has happened here: laziness. I notice there are other bad reviews on tripadvisor, all detailing the same things I have experienced and the management have clearly not done anything to address the issues raised. The rooms are dirty, the location is awful and despite Travelodge being a well known hotel brand, it failed to meet the standards of any other Travelodge I have stayed in before and had no problems with what so ever.

I would not stay here again and thus leave my first ever 'terrible' review based on how depressed we felt having to come back to this hole every night. It ruined what was other wise a good short trip away.

Save your money and book somewhere else!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank mini_rar
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed in this Travelodge as a place to base ourself during a trip to Dublin. Due to the poor quality of this hotel, I'm actually quite glad to get home.

The area isn't the best but this shouldn't be reflected in the quality of the hotel. Unfortunately, it is and in so many ways.
After check-in, which was quick and easy but not welcomed by the happiest member of staff, we went up to our room on the first floor. As we exited the lift, what hit us was the incredibly strong smell of smoke (and, on one occasion, weed!) which followed us into our room. We got to our room by passing a Tesco shopping trolley which stayed in the hallway throughout our stay, occasionally filled with rubbish.

Initially, our room looked an average hotel room (aside from the smoky smell) but we found various things wrong with the room.

- Decoration - we found various holes in the wall of the room. Some had been patched with plaster but the wall hadn't been repainted. It made the room untidy.

- Noise - In two ways, the room was noisy. Being on the first floor and at the front of the building, the noise from outside was quite loud, as well as noise from the bar downstairs one night. Worse that that, there was a door in the room we thought was a cupboard. However, we discovered it was a door to the adjoining room and every noise next door was heard.

- Dirt - the curtains and nets were dirty as was the TV remote control and the shower curtain in the bathroom.

- Bathroom - In the bathroom there were dangerously cracked tiles on the floor, the shower head was filthy and the fan didn't work.

Overall, the place didn't appear looked after properly and the staff seemed like they didn't care about the job or the guests in the hotel.
What has made this worse is that there are reviews on TripAdvisor detailing similar faults with the hotel, and yet there has been nothing done about them and the faults remain.

Next time, I'll be paying extra money for another hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank paulsharpe
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Our first choice of Travelodge near Dublin airport, having stayed here more than 10 times we know what to expect and it has always suited our needs.
We go on price so if Swords is cheaper we stay there but usually we find a deal here.
Ballymun suffers from a past reputation that is hard to shake off but we really like the area and feel times have changed here and it will always be our first choice

Room Tip: We usually stay at the back with a few times at the front possibly a small amount of noise at the fr...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Clean basic hotel close to the Dublin Airport. Shops close by and a bar and restaurant in the hotel. The Ballymun area looked a bit dodgy though and isn't somewhere I'd fancy walking about after the sun goes down.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dublin
Kilmainham
Sheldon Park Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#69 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel? Share your experiences!