“Thanks to all @ Donnybrook Hall”

Donnybrook Hall Hotel
Ranked #5 of 162 Dublin B&B and Inns
Galway, Ireland
“Thanks to all @ Donnybrook Hall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2011

Lovely Guest House, great breakfast especially the fresh fruit and pancakes. Nice rooms well kept. Clean and friendly atmosphere. Terry & staff were great. Would stay again.

3 Thank Penny2203

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2011

This is a well run family guesthouse. The staff are pleasant and helpful and I wouldn't hesitate to return there on my next visit to Dublin. It is in a great location for access to the city centre, right near a bus stop.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank NTee
Lanarkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2011

Stayed for two nights as me, my two sons, and two of their mates were going to the Ireland v Scotland football match at the nearby Aviva Stadium.
I picked Donnybrook Hall as it's a 5 or 10 minute walk from the stadium, and also from the reviews it had on trip advisor.
Our arrival was delayed by about 14 hours because our ferry had a mechanical problem so we didn't arrive until nearly 02.00, but the owners ensured we got access to the house. My single room wasn't en-suite, but with the bathroom only a few feet away it wasn't a problem, the boys had a joined twin room with en-suite which looked very nice as well.
The breakast was superb, porridge with fruit, full Irish fry-up, toast and tea, a great way to start the day, and because the boys had slept in for breakfast, Terry, the owner made up breakfast sandwiches for them when they got up.
The house can be a bit noisy first thing in the morning, but you have to remember this place is fairly old, and it doesn't have the benefit of modern soundproofing, but it's all part of the experience of staying there.
Granted the district of Donnybrook is a bit away from the city centre, but there is a great bus service, or walk as we did, for about 30 minutes or so with lovely georgian townhouses lining the road until you get to St Stephen's Green.
Terry, Rosemary and their staff were helpful beyond the call of duty to ensure our stay was as comfortable as possible, so I have no hesitation in recommending their place to anyone. I can assure you the next time we are over in Dublin we will be staying there.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank FORB's
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2011

I stayed at Donnybrook Hall with friends in May for a night. It was a reasonably priced guesthouse & therefore I wasn't expecting 5 star standards, however some things were just not up to scratch.

Pros
Location - 2 minutes walk from the bus stop into the City Centre - €1.65 brings you on the 5 minute trip to Dawson or Suffolk Street
Price - it was very reasonable for a single room
Parking - free at weekends

Cons
Rooms - I was given Room 7 which at first glance was clean and adequate, although the tiled floor was a bit offputting. The following morning, I realised that it was was right beside the kitchen which began breakfast prep at 7am. The soundproofing was non-existent so I was awake from very early which wasn't exactly what I had planned. I also faced into the garden which acted as a passageway to another room (Room 8?) located in the garden, so I got to hear all about their night out, whether I liked it or not. Very little privacy in this room, so I'd recommend you avoid it if at all possible.

Wifi : I asked for a code which was given to me on a piece of paper which I had to return to reception ASAP (surely giving each room a printout of the access code wouldn't be hugely taxing...). The wifi dropped constantly during my stay with very poor coverage at all times.

Room Tip: Avoid Rooms 7 & 8
5 Thank Babaduck71
Cork
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

Location wise this was great, close to Donnybrook Village and the bus routes. Also the owners were very welcoming on arrival and friendly throughout our stay.

However given the choice I would certainly not stay there again. The main reasons being.

Due to a lack of ventilation there was an overwhelming smell of food (fried breakfast foods in particular) at all times.
As another reviewer mentioned the lighting was poor.
Hot water was not available at all times.
The initial room I was given (The Garden Room) was in my opinion, inadequate as it was basically a converted shed which felt very exposed and far away from the main house. I asked to be moved and was initially told no but after I pushed I was given a choice of rooms, however these were right next to the kitchen or to the front of the house which was quite noisy.
Though there were TVs in the rooms you were unable to change the volume (my friend and I were in separate rooms and both tried) so the TVs were either extremely loud or very low.

4 Thank siobhan07
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

I received the warmest of welcomes, slept in a most comfortable bed, ate a hearty breakfast in a delightful, and sunny dining room, and was treated with the greatest kindness.
The decor is most charming, with a homely appeal which pervades all aspects of this hotel. Across the road is a splendid restaurant and on mentioning the hotel I was given a free glass of wine, and a good one at that.
I can not find any fault. Terry and his staff's whole purpose is to make my stay comfortable, and they succeeded. The Donnybrook Hall is a complete gem. Thank you.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank DcnAndy
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

We stayed for 5 nights here, and it was definitely worthwhile for the price. It's in a quiet and safe neighborhood a short bus ride from the city center. It also had free wi-fi. The first two nights were in a smallish room with a bathroom down the hall. Frankly, for what we paid, that was perfectly fine. We had a quality free breakfast (eggs, beans, and sausage, made to order) in the morning, and everything else we needed. We left Dublin for a few days, and then returned the next weekend. The staff were willing to store a bag for us during the time we were gone, and accommodated our very late check-in with absolutely no problems. When we returned, we had a much larger room with an en-suite bathroom, for the same price as before.

The guesthouse was very easy to get to via public transportation. It's about 1 block from the 46A bus to the city center (costing about 1.65euro), as well as the Aircoach to the airport (costing 8euro). The bus runs until around midnight each night, so we never had a problem.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends