“The most disgusting room ever......”
Review of Fatima House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dublin
Fatima House B&B
Ranked #126 of 151 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is a copy of an email I sent to Mr Duffy (the propriator of the guest house). I will also be sending a copy to the Irish Tourist Board amongst other interested bodies. I have also downloaded photographs.

Dear Mr Duffy

Thank you for your Email.
Whilst gratefully acknowledging a refund of a portion of the charge for our accommodation in room No 10, I wish to put on record some points that should be made with the level of service and accommodation that my partner and I received during our stay at your premises.
Quite frankly, after we had climbed to the highest point of the house and shown the room, I was in no state to either accept or reject it as my thoughts were more for the health of my partner Barbara. You will remember that we discussed the fact that she suffered Acute Brittle Asthma and C.O.P.D.
I asked you at the time if you had any other accommodation and you replied that there was none. On reflection, I now remember that you thought we had booked a twin room….why did you not offer this room as an alternative?
When we finally ensconced ourselves, I became appalled at the decoration and general state of the room. I will list the worst:
1. The shower is disgusting. The inlet water pipe joints to the shower unit are in such a state as to be biologically unhealthy.
2. When in use, the shower is so loud that at times we were expecting an explosion. The unit actually trembled and vibrated on the wall during use.
3. The shower tray fills to overflowing by the time you have finished at the pipes are blocked.
4. Where are you supposed to position the shower rose…the shower rail has the wrong attachment and you cannot fit the rose into it.
5. The basin tap can come away in your hand when it is turned on or off and the sink is not secured to the wall firmly as it moves when in use.
6. The shower is generally very dirty and the lock on the door doesn’t work
7. The towels were not changed on our second day and we had to make do with wet towels on our return in the evening. The waste bin was left un-emptied and was overflowing by the time we left.
8. The television does not work properly and the handset works when it wants to due to the missing rear cover.
9. You have already highlighted the breakfast problem and you are correct in your assumption that it is not up to standard, quite what that standard would be is left to the imagination. I was told bluntly by your staff that there was no bacon when I requested it. Imagine my surprise when on the appearance of 6 other guests, bacon mysteriously appeared when they requested it….power in numbers seemed to be the trigger there. At that point I had become angry and left. We ate at a local café as I couldn’t put myself or my partner through that charade again.
10. The photographs given on Trip Advisor are thoroughly misleading. The assumption given when viewing the pictures are that all rooms are of the same decorative state. I will advise people that they most certainly are not.
11. The shower curtain in the bathroom on the second floor is quite frankly disgusting and needs to be changed before anybody else uses it.

Room Tip: Do not accept any rooms above the fist floor....there are 4 floors
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank keokocasper

Reviewed July 16, 2012

My partner had stayed at Fatima House last year for 5 days whilst attending a course and he 'warned' me that it was basic but clean (he stayed in an economy single room - shared toilet and shower room).
We stayed in Room 6 which had a double and single bed which were really comfortable. There was a small en-suite containing a shower and loo in one corner of the room. It was clean and certainly adequate. There was also a wash basin in the room itself. Having read the reviews about having to wait for hot water we left the shower running for 3 or 4 minutes before getting in and the water was then hot and plentiful.
The room was situated at the rear of the house and so we had no problems with street noise and slept soundly both nights we stayed.
We enjoyed the breakfast on day 1 - the porridge was lovely, as was the fresh fruit bread. We didn't try the full fry. We had to leave very early on day 2 so Niall arranged to leave us some milk and cereal which was very helpful.
We would have liked a kettle in the room but we were out most of the time and so never asked. I suspect it would not have been a problem if we had!
The walk into the city centre was 15 - 20 minutes and straightforward.
All in all a really friendly B&B. It is cheap and cheerful and we will be staying there again on our next visit.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear avoid street noise. Ask for an en-suite.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband Bill and I recently stayed at Fatima House in Dublin. Our host Niall was fabulous and turned out to be the best tour guide. Lily and the staff in the kitchen made the best hot, made to order, full Irish breakfasts that we looked forward to each morning. Just a short walk to the City Centre and our accomodations were great and didn't hurt the pocket book at all!!
We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would return if we ever get the chance..
thanks again Niall for taking such good care of us!!
L&B from Niagara Falls, Canada

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I stayed in fatima house with afew of my friends, it was okay and it was reasonably priced. Our room was abit small and the ensuite bathroom was really tiny(rm.2), there wasnt much privacy as the sliding door between bedroom and bathroom wasnt working the best. We thought our breakfast (full irish fry) was abit disappointing - 1sausage, 1 bacon, 1 egg and 1 cherry tomato. Not really your typical full irish but it was nice all the same and we got toast and cereal too. Bathroom and bedroom was clean and i was happy with that. It is about 10minutes in a taxi away from the city centre which will cost you about €10 approx. and it is about 15mins walk to croke park.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 6, 2012

this b/b is a really lovely place to stay myself and partner stayed there in room 12 it was lovely and cosey we would stay there again nial duffy is a lovely man he made us very wellcome very homely place staff are lovely and nials daughter is also a lovely person all in all we would recomend fatima b/b to anyone it really is the place to stay im nt a very good sleeper myself but the bed was so comfortable i slept really n breakfast was great

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank valerie h
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Very cozy small hotel almost in the heart of Dublin. With lovely Victorian style design. I think, my (not ensuite) room was nicest in the hotel:))
Very friendly and welcoming stuff, always ready to help. Breakfasts was hearty and delicious.
I like this place, and my friend who came to see me said, that next time she is sure to stop here. And I hope visit it next time.
Greeting from Anastasia))

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
nelly001, General Manager at Fatima House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2011

It is nice to hear a guest praising one of our basic rooms. Anastasia is correct, of course, Room 11 is a very nice and cosy room. We describe it as 'our garden-level basic single room'. Many people will not be aware that we have a small city garden to the rear of our Georgian house. Those who occupy Room 11 or Room 12 will be right beside the garden. There is a glass-panelled door in Room 12 which leads directly into the garden!

Thanks to Anastasia for praising the Fatima House breakfast and the staff!

Anastasia is a student of Gaelic who hails from Moscow.

Beir bua...

Reviewed November 7, 2011

We had heard from our friend Cathy in Tasmania about Fatima House and
several other places to stay in Ireland.

We liked what we heard about this Dublin city centre location. We also
had read reviews about the owner who goes out of his way to entertain
guests. We loved it from the minute we arrived. It was clean and
comfortable - breakfast wonderful.

Cathy assured us that we would be happy basing ourselves in Fatima
House while in Dublin and this was the case!

Will return again (maybe in two years)!

Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple