“Nice stay”

Hilton Dublin Kilmainham
Ranked #20 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Enjoyed my stay at this Hilton. Pros: The deluxe room was in good shape, clean and met my needs. Though the chairs near the desk was a bit cramped together. Checkin and checkout processes were quick. The front desk staff was helpful in meeting my needs. Cons: The hotel is not close to the city center, so you need to take a bus or taxi to get to the center. But the bus stops for bus #40 and #13 on Emmet Rd (about 200m walk away from the hotel) will take you to the center.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed January 7, 2014

My impression of this hotel is that it charges the same as big name city centre hotels without offering the benefits. They get a few things so wrong that I usually avoid the hotel where possible. I also sense that they're cost cutting as much as possible. So, this review is based on charging rates equivalent to Four Seasons, Westbury etc.

How they handle wifi is very antiquated...you get a piece of paper with a user name and code, someone must have to print these out and cut them up...seems such a poor process when most hotels have implemented a better system based on room number.

TV channels suck, no premium channels like Sky Sports, either in your room or the bar. As a business user, one of my few requirements is to watch "the game", but they are limited here and not many alternatives in the immediate area.

The room service and bar menu is pretty limited, calorie heavy and doesn't change often, so as a regular guest it gets very samey...again with issue that theres not to many options nearby.

Pillows are hard in my opinion.

The good points are that generally the place is well staffed and they seem to stay, so you get friendly people who get to know you.

The area is nice (but well out of the city). It is very close to the Gaol and Cemetery, Hospital gallery so excellent tourist attractions nearby.

There is a decent gym, but it gets busy as it seems to be open to public?

But overall, if I had a more convenient option I would generally avoid this because the basics of good wifi and good tv (for a business guest) leave something to be desired.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We chose the hotel for its stylish look with the added bonus of leisure facilities available. The rooms are spacious and cleaned daily although on a busy main road the noise was limited. Breakfast was excellent with a choice of hot or cold food and with so much to choose from, we really were spoilt for choice. There is a bar in the hotel and they do bar food as well, or like us we booked a meal in the restaurant. For a 2 coarse meal it was 25 euros plus your drinks on top, meals were nice if a little small in quantity. There are leisure facilites in the hotel like a decent sized pool and jaquzzi with a well equipped gym next door. Also there is a sauna and steam room located around the pool area.

The hotel is ideally located for the Killmainham Gaol which is across the road and a short walk away from the Guinness Storehouse which is a def must see when in Dublin ( book online and get 10% off as well) Only downside is the out of city location, its a good 30 minute plus walk to the city centre, there is however plenty of buses to save your legs. It's a 10 Euro taxi fare from the main train station where you can also get the 747 bus to the airport ( they run every 10 minutes as well ).

All in all a good choice for a hotel with little extras that make a stay more enjoyable or special.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Jennifer D, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Dublin Kilmainham, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear stevejb4u

Thank you kindly for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel so central. We are very fortunate to have the Hop on Hop off bus right on our doorstop with the Luas Tram and Dublin Bus just minutes’ walk.
Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your meal, I have passed your feedback to our Head Chef to share with the team.
We would be delighted to welcome you back to the Hilton Dublin Kilmainham.

Kind regards
Jennifer

Reviewed January 6, 2014

arrived by train houston st 10 mins walk to hotel no problem with check in luas 6 mins walk suir rd stop very convienant in to abbey st 15 mins would reccomend one day flexi ticket 6euro 40 cents covers all lines for day hope this is helpful adios amigos pat

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2014

hotel ideally situated for access to city centre , far enough away to escape hustle and bustle of a vibrant city centre . access to hop on hop off tour bus across road ,16 drop off points allow easy access to all attractions and connection to tram system is easy from drop off points .kilmanain jail is a must to visit as is guiness store house .only downside was 2day break very enjoyable but much too short l

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Robert Peter K

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Our location is great as you get a quite night’s sleep, while the madness in the city centre is just a short distance away.
Thank you also for mentioning our close proximity to the hop on hop off bus, we really are very lucky to have it on our doorsteps

Regards Jennifer

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Firstly, what was good. Everything in the room was spotless, good facilities with free wi-fi. All the staff we dealt with were courteous and helpful. Good location. Expensive bar as you would expect but right opposite is a pub, The Patriots, and down Kilmainham Lane from there is the Royal Oak, a very old, very traditional Irish pub, well worth a visit.

But for a hotel of the standard of a Hilton there were a few silly rules that let it down. The lift only allows access to the bedroom floors by using the room card which often didn't work. But the stairs immediately next to the lift had no security so it did seem a little pointless. Stingy with the tea, coffee and sugar in the room. Breakfast is buffet style but every morning we found crusty old fried eggs and had to ask for fresh - no one seemed to be monitoring them. Another silly rule - you couldn't take a cup of coffee out of the restaurant, it had to be decanted into a paper cup even though it was the same china in the rooms. Room service at night could not be ordered in the lobby or closed bar, it could only be eaten in the room which was bizarre and somewhat crowded. The pool is really a big jacuzzi and again had a strange rule that you had to have a swimming cap, which they helpfully offered for sale at 2 euros each. So 8 euros lighter we went for a splash only to find, both times we went, that there were loads of people with no caps, and again no one was supervising. It is a Living Well spa so this is not the fault of the Hilton but really! And the dressing rooms were absolutely freezing!

Usual problem with inadequate numbers of plug sockets - everyone has mobiles to charge overnight these days but one had to be done on the floor!

Do visit Kilmainham Jail right opposite the hotel. Absolutely fascinating and will feel familiar to anyone who remembers the jail scenes in the original "Italian Job". Also visit the Guiness Museum, well worth a trip for anyone who likes the black stuff, and we had the cheapest meal we had in Dublin there. Otherwise we recommend the Ryans Steakhouse on Parkgate Street, a 10 minute walk from the hotel and very good food.

Everything in Dublin is very expensive to visitors from the UK, a glass of ordinary wine was routinely 7 euros so we stuck to the Guinness. Meals also very expensive, expecially in Temple Bar where we paid 100 euros for one course of so so food and four glasses of Guinness!

Dublin at New Year was great, saw Madness who were just as good as ever!

Room Tip: If fresh air is important to you make sure you ask for a room with a window that opens.We had to cha...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Leicstourist
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I travel a lot for business across Europe.

As there was some sort of conference, all hotels were booked and my company put me in this Hilton. Which on first sight looks good; new and good venue, large fitness and large indoor pool.

The location is quite remote from Dublin city center.

When I arrived in the evening, I got a disabled room. I was told the hotel was fully booked and no alternatives were offered. I mentioned that my company was not notified that it was a disabled room and that I would have looked for an other hotel in advance, but it was not mentioned on the reservation.

I have bad experience with disabled rooms - although they look the same with some aided equipement, one time I had an experience of receiving a disabled room in another hotel, and the matras was wet! So it's just like having bad experience with a certain dish, and you don't want to eat it anymore - due to the first experience.

As there was no alternative and it was 11PM in the evening, I accepted the room.

Next day I made it clear again, that it was not mentioned on the reservation and that it's not entirely honest. The woman of the front office desk understood my complain, and promised me to get back to me personally to provide me any gesture.

Guess what, I never heard back anymore.

This is not the way how to treat your corporate customers with a direct corporate deal.

About this reviewer:

I hope this review will help you in your travel. My reviews are objective, independent and unbiased. This reviewer is an experienced international traveler, especially across Europe and South East Asia; check my profile and other reviews! Please do contact me for any additional information or clarification! And please check out my other reviews.

-------------------------------------------------------
The reviewer is KLM Platinum Elite, SPG Gold member, Marriott Gold Elite and A | Club (Sofitel) (former) Platinum member

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Jennifer D, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Dublin Kilmainham, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Windroos

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to see you enjoyed our meeting facilities and leisure club/
I am sorry to see you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please be assured we do not wish upset guests at any time during their stay. The Hilton Dublin Kilmainham was built to current accessible standards. As you mentioned we were full on the night in question, had a room become available we would of course have moved you.
I hope you might consider us again in the future.
Kind regards