“Good Hotel”

Hilton Dublin Kilmainham
Ranked #20 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed at this Hilton just after traveling all day by taxi, train, ferry boat, and taxi. The hotel is located on the western side of Dublin - just across from the Gaol - which unfortunately we did not have time to tour. Hotel is clean and rooms larger than expected. Check in was quick and efficient and staff very friendly, even directing us to a very nice pub for dinner.
Breakfast in the morning was buffet style. Eveything was fresh and kept nice and hot with coffee service efficient.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank GAretiree
Deirdre M, Director of Sales at Hilton Dublin Kilmainham, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Hello,
Thanks for sharing feedback on your recent short visit to Dublin. I hope we get the chance to welcome you back in the near future, when a tour of Kilmainham Gaol Museum is a must!
Deirdre Moriarty

Write a ReviewReviews (2,186)

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel twice before. Its always been very reasonably priced for a hotel of its quality. My room had a big comfy bed, was well appointed, a bath and a separate shower, flatscreen tv and laptop safe. Add to this good food in the restaurant and the spa pool/gym it really is a nice hotel. The hotel also has free wifi throughout, good if you need to keep your emails in check!

The compromise you make is the hotels location, Kilmainham is a good 40 minute walk from O'Connell Street and the main city centre. There is a good bus service (20 mins into town) and the tram (5 mins walk from the hotel). So, if you're happy to make the compromise, you'll enjoy the hotel, if you are looking for city centre, this isn't it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Scott C
Deirdre M, Director of Sales at Hilton Dublin Kilmainham, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Hello and thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you have chosen us a number of times already, thank you and I hope that we can welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Spend a night here, and it it was ok, but it wasn't up there for a Hilton, or for the price.

My room was at the front, meaning it's at a road junction and must be close to an emergency services station, because I was woken a couple of times by sirens going by.

My room must have been close to the ventilation for the spa/pool as outside my room, as there was a very strong smell of chlorine outside my room (I could NOT smell it inside). Didn't bother me, but I could see it could bother some.

I could also hear a baby screaming in a room close by, so didn't get a good nights sleep.

The room was pretty good, spacious, desk and the bed was fine. Bathroom was fine, and it as all clean.

In room internet was terrible, I'd wanted to spend the evening working, and I needed the internet connection, but continually dropped out, got slow, needed to reboot and so on.

I don't think this is a hotel geared towards business travellers as it doesn't have the executive lounge, so be aware of this if it's important to you.

Breakfast was pretty good, there was a reasonable selection hot and cold, and it didn't run out.

I ate in the bar in the evening, and that was well priced, and good. It was a good choice to eat there.

Staff were all friendly and helpful, from the check in, bar, breakfast and checkout.

Room Tip: room at the back, so away from the road junction. Remember it's on the corner, so there are two...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Kilmainham for 3 nights last week. We picked it primarily because of the great price, which also included breakfast, and the new/modern look of the hotel (especially compared to others in Dublin). While the location is a little further out of the main areas of Dublin, once we figured out how to get around the city, it wasn't difficult at all or time consuming to get to the hotel. We are also runners, and really enjoyed running in the nearby War Memorial Park (there's a very nice running path near the river). The room was very nice. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean and large, and the bathroom was nice. Breakfast was also very good. The pool in the attached health club was amazing! I've never seen such a nice indoor pool at a hotel! The staff was also very nice and extremely helpful in answering my many questions about the area. The only less than stellar comment I have is regarding the restaurant for dinner. We did eat a late dinner in the grill/bar area one night, and I didn't feel the food was very good. Overall, though, a great stay. I would definitely stay here again if I return to Dublin!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel was not that close to downtown Dublin. So if you are looking for action, do not stay here. You'll have to take a taxi at night or tram/bus during the day to get to downtown.

The hotel was right across from the Kilmainham Gaol which is now a museum. Our room was on the top floor with access to a shared (between about 6 rooms on the top floor) terrace overlooking the jail (gaol). The scenery was gorgeous and peaceful. On a warm day, it would be quite pleasant to sit there with a cup of tea.

For some reason we were given a handicap access room with a shower that wouldn't go past a certain temperature. So after our flight from the US, I had to endure a cool shower (outside temperature was high 50s so it wasn't pleasant). We asked them to fix the shower but after the handyman looked at it, they offered to change us into a room with a tub. (I expect rooms in Europe to have a soaking tub in general). When we walked into the next room, once again, it was handicap room. We decided not to push this further since we most likely would just take showers anyway but I definitely preferred a tub (and at about USD 300 per night, hot water and a tub shouldn't be too hard to come by).

The bed was comfortable. Internet service was fast at certain times of the day but at peak hours, it could be questionable. In the room they had a kettle to make tea which was nice.

The pool was quite nice and I believe there was a decent gym there too.

We had breakfast there one morning and that was the only day out of our five night stay. It was quite expensive for the kind of food served.

The front desk in general was helpful and friendly (except for the little room snafu).

Work paid for the room, but if I had to pay, I probably wouldn't stay there. I could probably find a room closer to town center for 1/3 cheaper.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor had a great view out on the terrace. But ask whether they were handicap a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Hello
thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are sorry to hear that certain aspects of the hotel did not meet your expectations. When you are planning your next trip to Ireland, we hope that you will consider us again and if wecan be of any assistance, please let us know.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have stayed in a lot of hotels in Dublin and I can say without doubt that the Hilton Kilmainham has been the best by far.
I stayed here for 2 nights with my husband & 11 year old son in August. The family room really was excellent, of a very high standard with plenty of space for the 3 of us. It was clean, very comfortable, bright and airy and had all the facilities we needed. The pool was great too with a super jacuzzi and sauna.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast absolutely delicious with lots of choice. The location for us was perfect.
I would highly recommend the hotel and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Hello and thank you for sharing your thoughts on your stay with us. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed the hotel and I hope we get the chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed in this hotel and really enjoyed it. We were greeted by very friendly staff on arrival. Lovely hotel. A great variety for breakfast. Ideal location if attending a concert in the Royal Hospital. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple