Kildare Street Hotel by theKeyCollection
The Merrion Hotel(Dublin)
Excellent 5/5
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewstrinity collegegreat locationnassau streetnational librarytop floortemple barfamily roomnight porterreception desktea and coffeeenjoyed my staydouble bedcity centreduplexirelandstephenspubs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Whilst the location & staff were excellent, I wouldn't recommend this hotel & won't be staying again.
As previously described this hotel is well past it's sell by date. If the The sports bar TV doesn't keep you awake then the near by night club will till 3am! Its true, you get what you pay for so Pay the extra money & stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank GathersJ
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed here for three nights. The staff was friendly and the room was big and clean. We shared a bathroom, which was not a problem. We only had to share it with another room. The location is very good: close to Trinity College and other tourist sights and not far from Grafton Street, Temple Bar and the Liffey. There is a club next to the hotel, which made it slightly noisy, but that didn't bother us. If you want a quiet room, you'd better ask for a room that doesn't face the street. Alll in all, good value for money!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This hotel was very reasonable priced, but now I know why. The room, bathroom, and hallways were all very dingy and without an elevator, it was quite the job carrying a large amount of overweight luggage up the stairs. The location is ok, but for the quality of room I recommend staying elsewhere.

The redeeming qualities: The woman at the front desk was very helpful, gave good directions to nearby restaurants, and gladly stored our HUGE amount of luggage after we checked-out. The bar attached to the hotel was quiet and a fine place for a night cap.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Meaghan H
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The Kildare street hotel offers a good value, friendly place to stay in the heart of the city. The bedrooms are clean and the bed comfortable. By modern Hotel standards the rooms are on the small side, but are more than adequate.

The staff in this Hotel were extremely friendly and went out of there way to accommodate us. I would have no hesitation in staying in this hotel again

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2013

First I'd like to say I nearly never write a bad review. But, holy cow, I feel it my solemn duty to warn others about this place. The location is good, bordering the Trinity College grounds and in what seems like a nice area of town. My friend and I checked into the hotel and were instantly feeling a bit uneasy just by the look of the lobby. And secondly I'd like to say I have no problem whatsoever staying in budget joints, I don't need fancy, just safe and clean. The place just is so run down, the awful, super old pinstriped carpet looks like it's been there for decades. It looks like if it was steam-cleaned it would disintergrate. The small, old, discolored 11 x 7 art prints are in the cheapest frames as you climb the stairs. And you will be climbing stairs because there is no elevator. OK, so I can handle that. Our room, 205, looked OK upon first entry, two beds and a little effort made for some nicer bedspreads. And then the smell hit us. A smell you could taste and made it hard to breath. A sickly sweet smell that reminded me of old carpeting in a super old seedy bar, like vomit, pee, booze, and God knows what else. The "closet" had doors you could barely open. The carpeting was crunchy under our feet. The bathroom window, which faces other buildings, is perfectly clear without any drape or blind or anything. I found that out after walking in there in my underwear only to notice a fellow in a window in a building opposite. That's the fastest ducking I've ever done. After about 15 minutes we knew this whole situation just wasn't going to work so we went downstairs to see what could be done. John, the nicest guy ever, told us he could move us the next night, and into the owner's favorite room, but they were all booked up that night and we would have to stay in the dreaded 205. So we did, but not before we went walking around to find another hotel, which we booked for our following two nights in Dublin. I did something I've never done before; I cancelled the rest of our stay at the Kildare and paid for two nights while only spending one, but John took off the breakfast charges, which I completely forgot. We each had two double Jameson's to knock us out so we could sleep. We awoke in the morning and the two people at the front desk we genuinely upset we were leaving and clearly felt bad. The fellow mentioned that room had just had some type of treatment done to it that all the rooms get it and it is suppossed to be alright for people to be in within 48 hours. He said they leave it for a week before they let guests stay in the rooms again. What was it? I don't know, but it was still just seedy, old, tacky, and out and out funky. I strongly recommend not staying at the Kildare Street Hotel.

Room Tip: Not 205 whatever you do.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends