“If you're okay with no-frills, then seek Kildare Street Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kildare Street Hotel

Kildare Street Hotel
Ranked #51 of 161 Dublin B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“If you're okay with no-frills, then seek Kildare Street Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Kildare Street Hotel for one week this spring. It's certainly a "budget" hotel, and if you're okay with no-frills, then consider this place for your upcoming trip to Dublin.

The price? Just right, if you're hoping to avoid a serious dent in your bank account. We stayed six nights at under 60 Euro per night. That's not a bad deal at all, especially given the hotel's proximity to some noteworthy attractions. KSH is within reasonable walking distance of several landmarks, including (but not limited to) Grafton Street, St. Stephen's Green, Trinity College (across the street!), and Temple Bar.

Although we managed to save some change, we also had to realize that we were getting what we paid for.

The rooms are modest -- cozy enough, but somewhat dreary. (Our room had torn wallpaper, for instance.) Our bed was remarkably comfortable, however, which was perfect for those chilly nights. The bathroom, on the other hand, was very cold (until the shower turned on - and that provided ample hot water.)

This wasn't necessarily a problem for us, but this hotel does lack an elevator/lift. If mobility is a problem for you, please consider this detail before booking.

The staff were attentive, overall, but not perfect. In particular, the staff at the adjacent restaurant, The Blarney Inn, kept us waiting for almost an hour before taking our order. (Long story short: Chefs were switching shifts, but our hostess didn't do a very good job of notifying us of this -- and we had a planned tour to catch.) Keep in mind that check-in is at 3 pm; our flight arrived very early (thanks, Aer Lingus!), and we were able to stow our luggage while we ate breakfast/took care of small errands. (But little did we know, after returning to the lobby and waiting until the 3 pm check-in time, that our room was done way ahead of schedule. The concierge, who was making small talk with us, forgot to tell us that little detail while we were internally clamoring for a warm shower and comfy bed - but he was very apologetic.)

One final detail: There is an adjacent bar/restaurant (as I already mentioned), as well as a nightclub. We were on the second floor, but barely heard a peep and slept well every night. I can't speak for the first floor experience, but it may be worth requesting a room on a higher level, to avoid any potential noise pollution.

Kildare Street Hotel is fine for what it is: A budget hotel in a very central (and safe) area of Dublin. I wouldn't say it exceeded our expectations, but it provided us with adequate lodging during our week in the city. If you can sacrifice a few amenities -- and make peace with a few other shortcomings -- for the sake of saving money, then consider this establishment.

Room Tip: This hotel has a bar/restaurant and nightclub adjacent to it. Request a higher floor, if possible, i...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

standard rooms with tv all tea coffee making facilities. Towels shampoo shower gels all provided.
Breakfast was very nice and all the staff are really nice and very helpful. Cleaners very good too and Evan folded all out clothes and tidied our room!
all in all brilliant weekend and the hotel was fantastic x thank you will definately come again x

• Stayed May 2012
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

I picked this hotel out of curiosity more than anything else. 39 euros a night including a full Irish breakfast and getting good reviews I was finding it all very hard to believe. Here is what I think having spent one wet Wednesday night there: Entrance with nice bar to the left and charming staff make a very good first impression. I spotted the sign for the nightclub underneath but it was a Wednesday and in fairness the website had warned that this is not a hotel for people who like to sleep super early.
My room was on the third floor and there is no lift which did not bother me as I was only staying a night and had a small bag but it would have been a lug otherwise. My room 324 was newly done up with spotless bedsheets and what looked like a new carpet and curtains. I was also impressed to see a selection of complementary tea coffee and muffins in my room. The bathroom was old but clean and shower worked well. Now for the downsides so you can judge if they bother you: The building is old, there are cracks in the windows and stains of leaks on the ceiling and a small bit of one wall BUT when I went in the evening it was toasty warm I have to say! Bed was comfy and there was either no nightclub that night or on the third floor you don't hear it, however you can hear everyone going into their rooms, the door must be thin as this appeared to be quite loud. If I'm honest the signs on every floor in yellow pointing out that there are CCTV cameras in operation on every floor may have made me a bit wary and so peaked my hearing too! The view from the room is quite depressing, I'm Irish so it didn't matter too much but a tourist might find it a big big pity to look out on a construction site. Also there was some serious drilling at 8am which woke me up. Of course the drilling only lasted 10 minutes but it was bright then and though I tried to lumber (long enough to miss my Irish breakfast at 10am) I didn't manage to sleep again.
All in all I do not regret at all my stay here, I don't think I could have found somewhere better value in such a good area. If I was traveling with someone I think I would chance it again but admit that as a solo traveller those CCTV warnings did perhaps play a part in my sound sensitivity....even if given that it caters for hen and stag parties this is quiet an understandable installment!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Peter O, Manager at Kildare Street Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thank you once again for booking with The Kildare Street Hotel and thank you also for your review.
We appreciate and encourage all feedback from our guests as your perspective is essential to achieving and maintaining the best possible standards.

I am very sorry to hear your night was disturbed. We will be addressing the issue relating to the closing of doors over the coming weeks as part of phase 2 of the hotels refurbishment. The appearance of damp in your room had been resolved but we were advised to wait before redecorating. With regard to the view from your room, while we have some fantastic views over Trinity College, like all city centre hotels some of our rooms face the rear of the building. These rooms are usually quieter ,however, there is temporary construction on an ajacent building. We are in constant contact with the site Project Manager in order to keep the noise to a minimum. These works will be completed in June.
We hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future and help us improve the experience through your very honest and constructive comments.

Thank you again and if i can be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,
Peter
Reception Manager

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

€90 for two nights for two people including a really good cooked breakfast is great value for a hotel in this location. There are negatives such as no lifts and a shared bathroom with a timid shower, but the room was huge and really well decorated. The bed was suberb, the common areas were in great nick, and the staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Book on the hotel website for a free breakfast.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

We recently spent four nights at this Dublin hotel and I would highly recommend it for those who want to be in the center of the city, but in a well-priced, quiet and refined location across from Trinity College. It is an historic three-story walk up, with simple but clean and pleasant rooms, and a very accommodating and friendly staff. It also has a lounge, a good reasonably priced restaurant and wifi in the lobby, but not the rooms. Location is excellent, within walking distance of many museums, and the airport shuttle.

Room Tip: This hotel has a great room for a family of two...with a double bed plus two comfortable singles.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

I recently stayed for one night here with husband, baby and 5 year old.A very pleasant experience and half the price of where we usually stay, especially as there is a special offer of free breakfast at the moment if you book through the hotel's own website. Room was spacious, clean and comfortable, though not to the standard of more modern hotels, and needing some attention to detail, but the price reflects this. Clearly has new carpet and was recently painted. All staff we met were very welcoming, friendly and helpful. Breakfast was a help yourself buffet PLUS you could order lots of different hot breakfasts, including smoked salmon and scrambled eggs,from a menu which were then cooked to order. The buffet had cereals, juices, bread and toast, mini pastries, a great fresh fruit salad, yoghurts, muffins , cheese and ham. We enjoyed it so much that we did not bother with the hot breakfast. A great central location near Trinity College, Grafton street, Temple Bar, National Gallery etc. We stayed during the week and were told it might not be suitable for families at the weekend because of the nightclub on the premises. However it was perfect for our one night stay and we would definitely stay there again. We paid 65 Euros in total for all of us, for a room with one double bed and one single , en suite bathroom , including breakfast. Way better than we had expected and fantastic value.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the street, others may have noise from the nightclub at weekends, so check befor...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Peter O, Manager at Kildare Street Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
We are nearing the end of our first phase of refurbishment under the new management and will continue to improve both the rooms & facilities over the coming months.

Kind regards,
Peter
Reception Manager
The Kildare Street Hotel
Tralee, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

The Kildare St hotel is a 2 minute walk from Grafton St so the location can be described as prime. It is being refurbished on a phased basis and the room I had was one of the newer ones, spotless and very comfortable. There is still apparently a small number of rooms that have shared bathrooms so anyone bookinh should be aware of what exactly they are getting. The hotel seems to cater for stag and hen parties at the weekends but as I stayed midweek this was not an issues. The full Irish breakfast was good and the dining room staff were very nice. The hotel staff overall were very friendly and chatty.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the street can be noisy from passing traffic I was told.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business