“enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #96 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
brighton
“enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed here over Jewish New Year and chose it because of it's location near the Synagogues, Rathgar is nice little place and plenty choice for eating out. The guesthouse is run by lovely people friendly and very helpful, we had the Kosher breakfast which was very nice a cheese and fruit platter, kosher cheese and bread. They are very aware of the dietary requirements and most helpful. Decor is a little shabby but as this is a very large Victorian villa it kind of adds to it's charm, bed was very comfortable, and we had very good nights sleep, the area is quite so no noise problems. Driving through Dublin was also easy when we arrived (it was Sunday) and we managed to squeeze in a visit to the Jewish museum and a visit to family.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank midgetBrighton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Lugano, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

If you don't mind taking a bus/taxi to get near st stephens green (dublin city center) this is a great place.
although on arrival, our reservation had been lost, Monica immediately taken care of us giving us a room.
Our room (a twin room) was big enough for the two of us, the beds were comfy and the neighborhood is really silent at night so you can sleep very well.

Monica is the best !

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the building doesn't have windows that can open
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mark_6900
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Nice guesthouse, and despite the slightly old fashionned decor, the beds were extremely comfy, and the bathroom was clean! The lady running the place is lovely, very nice, helpfull and she cooked us a fantastic Irish Breakfast the next morning!
The available parking was ideal for car users, it is close to the city centre, so all in all, we were very satisfied with our stay at Abrae Court Guesthouse!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank C B
Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

This B&B is a bit shabby for being so far from the city. Usually accommodation gets a bit cheaper and nicer as you move away from the city centre. Overall the hotel is easy to get to and located in a quiet area, but after staying there twice before I don't think I'll return.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank gadgetamor
Jerusalem, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

I was in Dublin for a course and conference which would keep me through Shabbat, so I decided to take a room for the whole week at Abrae Court Guesthouse. During the week it meant at least a half hour bus ride downtown, and many times another 20 minute walk from Eden Quay to North Wall Quay to the CCD. However, having a real, normal Shabbat with community made up for it.

You can call and book your dates and reserve a mini fridge use for ease of keeping kosher. About a block and a half away is a Quinn Supermarket. Get the kosher list and keep your food expenses to a minimum. I was out most of the day at the Convention Center, so I didn't take advantage of the microwave use they offered me. I also didn't have time in the morning to have breakfast down stairs in the dining room (an additional 6 euro), so I made my coffee in my room (brought a dark roast with me), and had cheese, crackers, fruits and vegetables, my preferred breakfast.

Since I had long days at the conference, I ordered some packed kosher sandwiches from Kosher Ireland. They are very, very expensive, but my per diem was enough to cover it with room for my groceries for evening and morning. On Thursday I walked the 10-15 minute walk to the synagogue to pay my bill for the sandwiches. They really came in handy at the conference and made my life easier.

Nina and Monika were very helpful and welcoming. The room was clean, as was the bathroom. My room had only a shower,no bath tub, but that was fine with me.

A few caveats: Stairs, skeleton keys, no safe in room. There are stairs from the parking area to the front door, and stairs to most of the rooms. I was on the main floor, but there were stairs down and up on that landing alone. Heavy suitcase owners should beware.

The skeleton key for your room feels less secure than a card-lock or door specific key. I suppose it's not really any less secure. There is no ensuite safe. I brought a lock for my netbook and kept valuables with me most of the time.

The guesthouse is not a fancy hotel, but it is a cozy place to stay. I particularly enjoyed the neighborhood. There is plenty of public transport. I even took the 16a Dublin Bus from the airport to the stop right in front of the synagogue. It was a bit further of a walk than I had anticipated from there to the guesthouse with suitcases, though. Better would be to take the AirLink into city center and transfer to the 74a which drops you off about a block from the guesthouse. Even the 14 would drop you close.

There was also free wireless, daily room cleaning, and a coffee corner. I liked it.

The important bit for me was that on Shabbat there were other Shabbat observers, it was a close walk to the synagogue, and all in all pleasant. I will definitely consider returning anytime I am in Dublin.

Room Tip: Ask for room on main floor to avoid more stairs.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank travelmarm
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

This B & B far surpassed our expectations. The building itself was a beautiful Georgian mansion and the location was perfect - close to the city centre, yet secluded enough that noise was not an issue. Our room was bright and clean and the large bed extremely comfortable, (great to come back to after a long day of sightseeing!) The bathroom was spotless and we were pleasantly surprised to find a full bathtub and not just a shower!

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the traditional Irish breakfast was delicious. I would recommend this B & B to anyone planning a trip to Dublin and hope to visit the city again soon.

Stayed in September 2011, from Freiburg, Germany.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carros37
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dublin
Kilmainham
4.0 of 5 stars 1,409 reviews
IMI Residence Dublin
#2 of 2 in Sandyford
3.5 of 5 stars 194 reviews

Been to Abrae Court Guesthouse? Share your experiences!