“Eye opener for me!”

1916 Rebellion Walking Tour
Ranked #11 of 225 Tours in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Dublin's original 1916 Tour founded in 1996 and guided by author Lorcan Collins and other experts in Irish revolutionary history. We run daily tours from the International Bar on Wicklow Street.
Gorham, Maine
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Eye opener for me!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was a last minute event that my wife set up for us. I wasn't particularly in a good mood just having spent an hour in line to see the book of Kells, only to find out the vault that they keep it in was jammed and we were told it could be a day to 10 weeks before it was fixed.

Anyway, the 1916 tour....Monday, August 26th, 2013 11:30am......
We were blessed with very pleasant weather, no rain, mixed sun and clouds, about 74 degrees F.
Our guide was Lorcan, he couldn't have been a more enthusiastic, well informed guide. We were first greeted by him outside the Millenium Bar, decided to cross the street to the Butlers coffe shop for a snack where we met two ladies having tea. They asked if we were doing the 1916 tour as I had the brochure in hand. Thinking they were going to be negative about it, I braced myself for some negativity. Instead they offered 2 free passes for the tour as she had mistakenly paid for 4. She wouldn't take payment for them either. The day was looking up. I took the saved money and bought two of his books!

I had no real knowledge of the rebellion, it was an eye opener for me.
I have since read other reviews that said there was too much information offered and it was confusing and hard to take in. I completely disagree, the information flowed wonderfully, Lorcan took the time to get to know each of us ( the group was about 15 in all) and answered all questions thoughtfully. We live in New England (Maine) and found his humor to be just as dry as would be found here. Lorcan is an erudite in the best sense of the word. Our tour was supposed to last about two hours, but it ended up being more like three hours.
I hope when he gets to Texas this fall, Houston is where I believe he will be giving a lecture, that his audience appreciates his intellect and knowledge. And he gets out to try some "Chicken fried steak". Thanks for a great tour!

Dublin, Ireland
“walk and talk”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Excellent and very entertaining. Lorcan took the time to talk to us all. Very highly recommended. Ar fheabhas at fad.

Oxford, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Second time I've taken Lorcan's tour”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Since my first 1916 tour a couple of years ago I have wanted my family to experience it too. Lorcan is perhaps the most engaging tour guide I have ever met. If you really want to get a feel for the Easter uprising, this is the way to do it.

My sixteen year old daughter had the same feeling that I had. As a Brit you feel quite uncomfortable about that feeling of responsibility and being on the wrong side. It's a credit to Lorcan that his tour can reach your emotions like that. It's two hours that you will not regret!

Visited August 2013
“Very informative and engaging!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Lorcan is a great story teller with extensive knowledge on the subject. While the actual sights may not be as scenic ad other parts of Ireland, the history is fascinating and Lorcan did an excellent job of holding attention. Very interesting tour!

Ilsington, United Kingdom
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Exceptional...”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Exceptional tour. Lorcan brings the whole subject to life. Entertaining and engaged with everyone on the tour. Thought the subject might be a little dry and "republican" - but he added humour and not afraid to look at the rebellion from all sides. For me, it challenged many of my preconseptions about both Ireland and the rebellion itself. Thought provoking and has made me want to look at the whole subject in more depth. Not many walking tours do that...!!

There is no such thing as a "free" walking tour so a pleasant change to just pay up front rather than having the guide make constant plugs for a tip at the end!!

1 Thank Essexboyz123