“Expectations exceeded”

Ranked #6 of 150 Dublin B&B and Inns
Europe, Middlepart
“Expectations exceeded”
Reviewed July 24, 2008

We had a business encounter rather short term, so we were glad to get a room for a reasonable price last minute. Our expectations were not very high, but the hotel has already had good reviews, so we booked.
And the Leeson Bridge Guesthouse exceeded all expectations. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Our room was at third floor, but the hotel has a lift. The room was nice and clean, with fitted carpet, LCD-TV, boiler, iron, hairdryer, alarm clock and a selection of tea and instant coffee. The bathroom was ok, the toilet was clean and seemed to be desinfected, but a bit too small for big sized persons. The shower curtain was a bit too short and not completely clean, but nothing big. The ventilator was a really good fitment, since it was quite warm.
The breakfast was served as a continental buffet, with a really huge selection (bread, rolls, juice, coffee, tea, sausage, cheese, croissants, cakes, cookies etc.) and without limit. Great.
After check-out we could leave our luggage in a separate room for the day, since our flight was in the evening. The aircoach stops right outside the hotel as well as several lines of regular bus. A SPAR market is 50m across the street.
We had a really pleasant stay and would recommend the Leeson Bridge Guesthouse, especially for the price we paid: 69 Euro (+ 10 Euro pre-check-in fee).

• Liked — service, breakfast
1 Thank Flatterviech

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed July 20, 2008

This was our second trip to Dublin, so we knew our way around, but had not stayed at Leeson Bridge before. Spent five days there, and it was outstanding! Very reasonable price compared to the other hotels and guest houses near the inner city.

It was easy to make a reservation using their website, and then calling for a follow-up to make sure they had everything we needed. Part of the time our daughter, son-in-law, and two-year-old grandson stayed there. They had an extra room with small kitchen and laundry. The baby could sleep in his tent in that room. Laundry was very useful. The guest house also has a laundry for general use if you don't have it in your room.

Good location. Easy walk to St. Stephen's Green and across it to Trinity College, Temple Bar, shopping, etc. Stop at the playground in the green for the baby. There is a pub on the canal just a block south of the B&B, and a restaurant there too.

The breakfast was great - juice, cereal, pastries, cold cuts and hard boiled eggs, tomatoes and cucumbers. We will definitely stay there again on any trip to Dublin.

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank WoodsWanderer
surrey
Reviewed June 14, 2008

Lovely Georgian building about 10 mins walk from Grafton Street. Pleasant staff who made us very comfortable during our stay. The only problem was that the room was too hot because of the water tank in the room. If we opened the french doors the noise from the carpark was annoying. I think that it was the location of the room and if we had stayed on another floor it may have been better. The room was clean with a great jacuzzi bath and clean white towels every day. The breakfast was continental with a nice range of choices. This was a very pleasant guest house which I would recommend in terms of professional staff, comfort and location.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the carpark was outside our window
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank supercoolandtrendy
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 7, 2008

Booked via Laterooms, which was part of the problem

The parking space which we had booked and for which paid extra (10 euros) was not available when we checked in and we had to pay five euros for street parking until it was. Derek (manager?) gave me some BS but didn't care and didn't offer to reimburse us!

The "double room with bath ensuite" had a bathroom that was only accessible by crossing a public hallway that had huge uncurtained ground floor windows opening on a busy city street!

Uncomfortable bed. Room & common areas not very clean. Bathroom stank of something. Staff tended to be Eastern European, very pleasant but not very bright or well-trained - I guess the Leeson Bridge doesn't pay too well! Derek (Manager) was Basil Fawlty with an Irish brogue. Stay away from this one!

I am so glad that my wife now has Dublin out of her system and we never need to go back there!

• Liked — I'm trying really hard to think of something...
  • Disliked — the fact that we were unfortunate enough to stay there
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kevin M
London
Reviewed March 31, 2008

I have never written a review before, but felt that this Guesthouse was such a rip-off and so far away from the marketing that I had to!! The room was shabby - the carpets were stained and frayed, the hems of the curtains weren't finished and the "bathroom" smelt of damp. We had a huge fully equipped kitchen in our room but a tiny shower room which I think was supposed to be a wet room. It didn't matter anyway as there was no hot water at all and the receptionist just shrugged when we told her. It was awful and a total rip off for 120 euros for one night!!!!!

• Liked — Good location
  • Disliked — The accommodation
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dancincate
Leeds
Reviewed March 30, 2008

Stayed at the Leeson Bridge for two nights mid March. We were travelling on a budget for a friend's birthday and booked this in October 2007 for March - There was a Rugby match on that weekend so everything was getting booked up really quickly.

We paid €110 per night per room at the Leeson Bridge. I was expecting it to be awful to be honest - I was really surprised though. The room was clean, warm and homely - nicely decorated.

The B&B is split into two different parts - old and new..So the new part you check in then have to walk out of the main reception area and there is another entrance just around the corner.

We had friends in the old part - their room was bigger that ours but was of the same standard.

It is located on a busy main road, however it was good for catching taxis and the aircoach to Dublin airport stops right outside. Its about a 10 min walk to St Stephens green.

The breakfast wasn't up to much but for the money we were pleased :-).

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — No cooked Irish breakfast.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travel_mad83
Hampshire
Reviewed March 24, 2008

On first impressions I was pleased - my room had its own Sauna, it was tidy if a little worn in places. It had clearly had a referbishment reasonably recently, but it hadn't extended to the carpets in the rooms (they weren't terrible, just noticeable).

I noticed 3 hairs in the bathroom of my room in different places (and the toilet wasn't fixed to the floor). Only minor, but if I see them on looking around, so could the cleaning staff, so that always annoys me.

The room had a good view and modern security, it was quiet, warm and easy to ventilate. The bed was firm (my preference) and it had a large open duvet - all in all perfectly comfortable.

Breakfast was continental buffet. The spread included a very good selection including fresh pastries. It was this part that I was probably most disappointed with - I really look forward to a cooked breakfast in a guest house and nothing was on offer. I couldn't help but wonder how fresh each item was since there are a limited number of rooms and a wide selection - the pastries I tried were all fresh so I have no evidence that concern is justified. I just wanted a cooked breakfast!

The only other issue I had was parking. I'd booked a parking slot for both nights - there is a secure area at the back of the hotel (and with the excess on my hire car I was keen to take advantage of it). The first day was fine - there were no spaces at the time I arrived (I was early) but the chap on the desk took my key and moved the car later. The second night we arrived back late from a long business meeting and there were no spaces - the guy on the desk that evening told me he couldn't drive and that someone was leaving at 7am the next morning so I couldn't block them in unless I got up early or parked in the street. The whole exchange was a little tense, but given I had booked a slot (required in order to park, and you pay for this) I was left feeling frustrated at this treatment (he even admitted someone was probably in the carpark that shouldn't be - so why have a booking system and give people the wrong expectation!).

So in summary, quite a nice guest house - comfortable rooms to a good standard for this price and provided you don't want a cooked breakfast served to you in the mroning worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business