“you get what you pay for” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hazelbrook House

Hazelbrook House
Ranked #130 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Milton Keynes
“you get what you pay for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We chose Hazelbrook House due to its price and having car parking (which most places in the centre of Dublin don't have). Rooms are a bit tired looking but the price is cheap, the location to the centre of Dublin was ideal and they have car parking although this is limited and I did have a few problems getting confirmation that we could have a parking space. Reception staff were very helpful; from giving us directions to the centre of Dublin to recommending somewhere to eat. If you want luxury then don't book here but if you are after somewhere cheap to crash for a night or 2 then this is perfect. I was really worried about this place after reading some of the reviews but would stay here again. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Helen W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Ennis, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Hazelbrook House B&B was an excellent place to crash for the night from. Check in: Sunday, December 11, 2011. We got excellent service by a lady at the reception who I believe was a temp from Austria, very kind staff member.
Parking was very tight though, had to do some manouvering to park our car in the tiny parking up a ramp on the back of the B&B.
I disagree with the other reviewer that is of hostel style, it is not. Rooms are not huge but adequate if one don't ask for much luxury.
The B&B almost felt like I needed to have Hazelbrook Farm ice cream. The colors in the room were certainly of creamy colors.
Very low price we paid via booking.com, like 40 EUR for two people for 2 people sharing + breakfast amazing, what else can you ask for.
The B&B was furthermore in close vicinity of the Bus & Train station, and a short hob from O'Connel St as well.
The B&B does cater for vegetarians as well, and as non-smoking only thankfully.

Room Tip: Ask for an en-suite room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gerben4u
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

In my humble opinion the Hazelbrook House is a suitable alternative to a hostel.

When looking for a place near Temple Bar, I had very limited options as my desired travel time was during the 2012 All-Ireland Football Final in September. Many hotels were either sold out or beyond my price range. I also knew I didn’t want to stay in a hostel again—not for 4 nights!

My travel partner and I agreed that the HH would work since our goal was to do major sightseeing during the day and go out in the evening. We really liked that the location was near O’Connell Street, which is a central hub in the city. Plus, we could walk to and from the Temple Bar area at night; however, we were told by locals that two ladies shouldn't walk by themselves too late, so we ended up taking a cab after the pubs to be on the safe side. :-)

Considering the low price we paid, our stay was a good deal. I haven’t booked many B&Bs in my lifetime, but I assume this one is pretty standard. Yes, the room is quite simply a bedroom…no extra space like a hotel would normally have. We didn't attempt to watch TV, as it was pretty small and didn't have the time. The bed was quite comfy, especially since we had been sleeping on hard mattresses throughout Europe, and the shower worked well. The sink had no pressure though, which made it hard to wash your hands or face in it. The wireless internet never worked while we were there (supposedly it was under construction except for one time); therefore, I did have to visit the internet café around the corner regularly. These are my only hesitations about the place, and if strapped for cash again, I would consider going there once more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cici C
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This place was alright for a crash pad on a brief business stay, and good for a budget stay in an expensive city. The location is excellent just two streets away from O'Connell Street but still quite quiet.

However it has quite a few shortcomings: my double room in the annex was small (ok for one person but squished for two), and there were no spare blankets provided when it was cold in the night. Breakfast was disappointing - scrambled egg was overcooked and they provide sachets of the worst ketchup I've ever tasted! Wifi in the comfy shared lounge was good and free, but it didn't extend up to the annex rooms, which was a shame.

I would go back given the good value for money, but don't have high expectations!

Room Tip: Annex rooms are cheaper but compact, could be noisy if there are people in the corridors.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank phoenix8396
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I found this place after hours of searching on trivago for a last minute trip away with my boyfriend.The location is great because you are literally at 15 minute walk to the city centre.The room was very clean and comfortable.The only complaint I would have is that the picture on the cable tv was grainy,the shower water went cold half way through my shower and the on site car parking is terrible as its a garage in a back alley which is hard to find and is very small.Also my boyfriend was not very comfortable with the policy of having to leave your car keys at reception.I would stay here again but I would not bring the car this time.The value for the rooms which range between €49-€69 is worth as breakfast is included though my boyfriend and I chose to for go as we perferred a lie in. However check out time needs to be extended also

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Titch160190
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Hazelbrook house is located in an excellent location, a 2-minute walk from O’Connell Street . However to be honest it is perhaps more suitable for backpackers or those planning on a 1 night stay . To be fair it was the cheapest bedroom I could find in central Dublin on that particular night (Sunday 30/09/2012 – All-Ireland Weekend) – circa 70 euro and as is often the case …you get what you pay for…. I might have to stretch my budget a bit further next time!

While the rooms were clean, the decor of the room and bathroom was I’m afraid quite tired. Curtains were shabby and did not keep out the light adequately, the bathroom tiles were chipped and the grooving and shower could do with replacing. The beds were low and uncomfortable while the television was too small and the bedside lamps tired looking.

Breakfast (served between 8-10am) was included but I did not sample it – check out is at the time of 11am. I received a polite phone call reminding me of this at approx 11.30! I paid 1 euro for 30min surfing time on the PC in the lobby – however the Internet connection was very poor and therefore it took an age for pages to load. WiFi however is available for the same price.

Staff were professional and the lady who booked me in was particularly friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

a very friendly and helpful host, a beautiful house, nice and spacious, a bit isolated (use of car necessary).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com