“Great hotel”

O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel
Ranked #59 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed in this hotel last night and was so pleased with the service that I had to comment straight away. We actually live in County Dublin and decided to stay in the city centre for my birthday. We chose O'Callaghan's Stephen Green for location and price and we weren't disappointed! The staff were extremely pleasant and efficient and the rooms were spacious and clean - lovely decor too. The bar also had a lovely ambiance. Overall a great night and it was lovely seeing Dublin as a tourist :-)

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank RebeccaandNiall
Dara C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear RebeccaandNiall,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to post your lovely review on Tripadvisor.

We are all delighted you enjoyed your time with us here in the hotel.

O'Callaghan Hotel Stephen Green

Write a ReviewReviews (1,398)

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Just checked out of this hotel after a one night stay.
I had been advised by staff to park my car in Stephens Green Shopping center, and have my ticket stamped at reception.
I was amazed that the car parking for 22 hours in Dublin City Centre came only to EUR14.!
The bedroom in the hotel was bright and airy , with a nice view of Stephens Green across the road.
Ideally located for someone visiting the city center on vacation or on business.
Little disappointed at breakfast, when I had some fresh fruit berries, and found that some of them were actually still FROZEN in the center!
Only eggs in the buffet were scrambled... I asked for poached eggs and they were presented to me within a few minutes.... that made up for the frozen berries!
I would definately use this hotel again in Dublin.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear The_Festy,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I appreciate your comments in relation to the frozen berries on the buffet, they should have not have been placed on our breakfast buffet if they were frozen.

I am glad you enjoyed the poached eggs, it is also very good to read that you found the rooms to be more than satisfactory.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again sometime in the future.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I have stayed at the hotel a few times with friends and its always been a really good stay. The rooms are really good and roomy and the staff couldnt be more helpful and friendly. The breakfast is always really good. I also stay in this hotel on my own for my work and always feel really safe and know if I have any issues the staff would assist me. The hotel is in a perfect location easy walking distance to anywhere we want to go. I cannot recommend this hotel enough and will be back again next year for another weekend !!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Angela S,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted with your comments and will share them with our team.

I look forward to welcoming you back some time in the near future.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

First time at this O'Callaghan hotel (I normally stay at the Davenport every month) but I shall definitely return! The hotel is fantastic; location is perfect, the staff are excellent and very friendly, the facilities are exactly what you need. It's clean, tidy and modern. The rooms are an excellent size. The bar is great and has a simple but good menu at reasonable prices for a hotel of this calibre. Located right in the centre of town on the green itself. Shopping and restaurant areas are all within a couple of minutes walk.

Really, nothing at all you could fault about the place. If you are looking for a hotel in the centre of Dublin - this is the best one!

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking the main street and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Neil P

Dear Neil P,

Wow what a great review - thank you for highlighting your experiences on Tripadvisor.

It is very up-lifting to read your feedback.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Perfect place for the south side city center, two minute walk from Grafton street and across the road from the park. I've stayed for business and came back pleasure. Bar food and restaurant are both great.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ross_Williams

Dear Ross_Williams,

Thank you for a very nice review on Tripadvisor.

We were very happy to read your review and the comments about the food were particularly up-lifting.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Maybe 4 stars is something i need to understand...but i would say this property is more like 3*s, but could be five if the owners of this 5 hotel chain were more ambitious, because the location is perfect. Do some obvious upgrades and...duh, charge more money! Directly across from the hotel is the beautiful and historic is St Stephen's Green and all the five star hotels including the Sherbourne, where First Lady Michelle Obama stays! Here it is...the bad and the good...mainly the bad because its the easiest to note, right? Honestly, this place is pretty good for most...but I'm a huge pita, so...you hav to take a grain of salt!

Upon arrival, there is no help with a car (we arrived from Galway in a car). I was told to being my car around the corner and the person pointed toward a direction you cannot drive to easily from the cut out. You have to follow the signs which lead you way around the neighborhood and then to a scary parking structure. Im a female and maybe okay for many, but my hubs and I decided I was the driver so he checked in while I parked the car...not knowing the city, this was odd...and then (like the next day) when we were leaving the lot, we were told the parking was validated, but when we returned the car the following morning, we needed to pay 10.50 euros to get out. So, back to check in....

There are no "bellmen" and it feels awkward to have the manager help with the bags. The decor at reception and check in is ridiculously tired. There is no security AND anyone can get on the elevator without pass key. Our view of the alley we looked past and noted we weren't there to look at the view from our room but rather see the sites from the ground and the top floor of the Guinness brewery!

But...back to the review. The shower doesn't drain well, a personal pet peeve of mine. The walls are tile, but the floor is cheap plastic, not tile. The faucets and plumbing are terrible and in general the bathroom grossed me out...but I'm very, very picky about this...I would guess most people would be fine with this bathroom.

The bed is probably too hard for the majority and the pillows are done and done-er. They are uneven and feel like they've been through the washing machine!

Details, details...No luggage racks! The lighting is awful. There were 2 tv's in our suite, but the remotes are connected, so you have to manually change channels. I never saw the blow drier, iron...We didn't eat the breakfast...their coffee like much of Ireland is not great.

On the plus side: There is power available in both rooms and for all types of plugs. but there is a safe and a pot to boil water.

If you made it this far in this review, you would say I'm not recommending this hotel - but I probably would say this is a good choice for a budget conscious person but for someone with more resources, keep looking around. There are much better hotels nearby!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and park view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dara C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear j9lulu,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor, I value the time you have taken to share your experiences.

You have highlight a number of areas that we can improve on immediately, some that will take more time and energy to focus on.

I along with the members of the team here in the Stephen Green have discussed your review and are working towards ensuring the points marked in your review are addressed.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future, where you can witness first-hand the improvement your comments have made.

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here last year on our trip to Dublin. This was the 2nd hotel we stayed at in the Dublin area and we loved it! Not your typical small room in Europe, lots of room, comfy beds, clean and quiet. You couldn't ask for a better location. We were able to walk everywhere, didn't need a cab once. Right across from St. Stephen Green, cute park with music and ponds etc, you could walk to shops and the mall, the castle, the Liffy etc with no problem.

• Stayed: July 2012
Dara C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear klokken,

Thank you for your lovely review on Tripadvisor.

Dublin is a great city and has some much to offer.

Looking forward to welcoming you, back to the hotel in the future.