“Great location”

Ranked #51 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Ireland, Belfast
“Great location”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This hotel is well situated to the city centre. Within walking distance to most tourist attractions and the Dublin Bike racks are right across the street, which is very convenient. The hotel itsel is nice enough. The rooms are big and the beds very comfy.

If I could suggest an improvement for the hotel it would be to put muslin/net curtains in the windows. We had a room on the 1st floor by the front and people could easily see in during the day if the curtains were open. I know you're thinking, close the curtains then...but during the day it would be nice ot have daylight and privacy. The bathroom is a bit tired too, but overall clean and practical.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dara C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear stephen2010,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to post your review on Tripadvisor.

Your comments about the net curtains are very sensible and one we will look into.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Dara Cruise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
Nottingham
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Having booked a weekend away for my Husbands 50th Birthday, 3 days before we were due to fly out the Hotel I had booked (which I will not name) called to say they had double booked and we would not be able to stay, after looking around on the internet I came across O'Callaghans Stephen Green.
I am so glad the orginal Hotel Cancelled, I ws so happy with O'Callaghans. On Arrival at the hotel we were advised the room was not ready which was fine as it was only9.30am, we left out luggage with the friendly receptionist (Marie) and said we will check in later. Later in the day we checked in by Marie to be advised we had been upgraded to an executive room for our inconveince that the room was not ready earlier. This was a lovely touch by the hotel but was not necessary as we knew check in was 2pm. Great Hotel Stephen's Green across the road which is a lovely area to sit and relax, close to all bars, shops restaurants, bus stops Dublin Castle. Would like to Thank Marie for all her help guiding us around the city and providing map.
Great Hotel will be back to stay when we return to Dublin.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ShazNottingham_12,

WOW what a lovely review, thank you for posting your expereinces on Tripadvisor.

Maire McKevely is a wonderful employee and does an amazing job here in the hotel.

We are lucky to have her on the team.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 5, 2013

A friend and I stayed in the hotel for a night. On arrival and through out our stay we found all the staff welcoming and helpful. The Hotel is really very nice and our room was lovely, clean, big and had a great view. The location of the hotel is perfect, right on the luas line and across the road from St. Stephens Green. It is within walking distance of shops, restaurants, pubs, night clubs and many tourist attractions. I will definitely stay in the hotel again in the near future and will also be recommending the hotel to friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Dash05,

It is always a very welcome note when a guest enjoys their stay at our hotel.

Thank you for sharing your expereince via Tripadvisor.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on our first and last night of our recent 8 day touring trip to Ireland. The rooms were comfortable, fairly large with big beds and with adequate bathrooms.The staff were very helpful and the glass breakfast room overlooking Stephen's Green was pleasant and offered a nice, free breakfast. The bar, located off the other side of the hotel lobby,was also very pleasant. We had drinks there several times, but did not eat there.

The best aspect of the hotel was its location diagonally across the street from Stephen's Green and within easy walking distance of all the shops and pubs on Grafton Street, as well as Trinity College, Temple Bar and other attractions. Our hotel experience here was perfectly fine and for a good price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear patterl,

We are very greatful that you posted your review on Tripadvisor.

It is a great platfrom to gain inslighful feeback from our guest.

We are always delighted to read the reviews that our posted about our hotel.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We spend so much of our time on boards and forums complaining about bad service, unclean hotels, bad meals etc etc. that we rarely take the time to compliment when a good value product is delivered well.
On Saturday afternoon we checked into the Stephens green hotel. Being from Dublin I rarely stay in a hotel in my home town, however it was a special occasion so we decided it would be treat. From the moment we checked in the staff were very friendly and welcoming. Our room was ready for us to relax for the afternoon. We were staying in a very spacious executive room (another treat).
We decided to order a bottle of wine ordered to our room and the room service was very prompt. I have so many times waited for an hour for an order this was brought up almost immediately.
We were delighted to arrive back to the hotel (quite late at night) to a warm welcome from the night manager.
Ordinarily I can be fairly unresponsive to the checkout procedure as you often get the feeling that you are just being sold something else! However the very helpful girl at reception kindly reminded me to get my car parking ticket stamped to ensure we availed of the great hotel parking rates for a city centre property.

The hotel location is so central (being a local I was not much into the tourist side of things) located very close to shop’s, bars and restaurants.
Overall a great stay in Dublin was had! Would recommend the hotel to anyone!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear CraterA,

Thank you for your lovely review on Tripadvisor.

We were delighted you enjoyed your time with us here in the hotel.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the coming months.

dublin
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Room was nice , huge bed good television etc . The location is great close to St Stephens Green. Nice bar with nice staff. Bathroom not up too much - bit tired. I think it comes down to this , if you get this hotel at around 70 euros thats fine anymore than that & you can do better. Very good 60 euro hotel.

Room Tip: Don't pay too much .
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear dragon53,

Thank you for highlight your expereince on Tripadvisor.

I also appricate your comments to me via the private message tool.

I have shared the feedback with our teams.

rastlin
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My girlfriend and I were celebrating two years together and as we live a long way outside of Dublin city...from time to time we book a hotel when we are going for a night out in town.This time around we chose the O'Callghan Stephens Green Hotel. I can only say that the experience was excellent. We checked in on Saturday afternoon and a the gril at reception was really welcoming and friendly and the whole check in process was carried out swiftly and with no fuss. We took the lift to our room on the 5th Floor...the Hotel is nicely furnished and also very clean. Normaly city centre hotels tend to be quite small...so I was pleasently surprised to see we had a very large room (which I was told later is the standard) with a massive bed! The decor was lovely and the room was nice and bright with a great view over the city. We chilled out in the Hotel for a couple of hours and then went out for our dinner reservation in a nearby restaurant, had a cocktail on the way back from dinner and then decided on a night cap in the Hotels bar (Magic glasses...I think?). There was a nice atmosphere in the bar with just the right amount of people...which is great as most bars in the area are way too busy and its hard to relax. The following morning we had breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The two guys that were looking after the breakfast service were just great...due to a sports injury I was on a crutch and they couldnt have been more helpful in making it easy for me. I liked the breakfats set up...its different to most hotels in that its not a large extensive buffet...it is instead a large amount of small portions laid out...which is great becaise it means the food is not sitting there too long and getting dried out (a pet hate!). There was a great selection of juices and fruit...fresh fruit...no shortcuts from a tin which is another pet hate :-). Chack out was also a pleasure...the girl who checked me in actually greeted me by my name as ai aproached the desk...a small thing but it makes all the difference! Bill was very reasonable and te nprocess of settling it was quick and seamless.
All in all...the hotel has a great location but does not rest on its laurels in this regard...the staff and management seem to put a lot of work into their job and the attention to details shines throgh. I highly recommend the Hotel for anyone who wants a great place to stay right in the middle of Dublin! Thanks to all the staff for a great stay!

Room Tip: Try get a higher floor as you get a better view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dara C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear rastlin,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review - congratulations on your anniversary.

We were delighted to host you during your stay - I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.