“Ideal location, great customer service”

O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel
Ranked #50 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Ideal location, great customer service”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We had a pleasant weekend stay in this hotel for my partners birthday. They upgraded us to a suite which was very nice and spacious. The staff were all very helpful and couldn't do enough for us. The location is ideal within close walking distance from Temple Bar.

We didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment on the food.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
StephensGreenGM, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and i am delighted to hear that the hotel and location met with your expectations, and i shall pass on this lovely feedback to all staff.

Kind Regards.

Dara McEneaney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Arabic first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights for business. On entering the hotel, the foyer lacks atmosphere. The stairwells and passages had dirty carpets and smelt of damp. This is not what you want in a 4* hotel. The rooms were basic but the bathrooms definitely need refurbishment with taps and showers that are very old and towel rails falling off the walls. The television is tiny for a hotel of this class and took much negotiation to get onto television channels with first preferences on all screes being pay movies and even adult movies!
The service was similar to the hotel - it just did the job with nothing exceptional. I only had breakfasts in the hotel but again there was nothing memorable with a basic selection of cold and hot foods.
This is not a 4* hotel and I think the only reason it is doing good business is because of its great location on Stephens Green. It is a preferred hotel for my company but I hope that will change.

Room Tip: Best rooms have good view of Stephens Green but may get a bit more traffic noise
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
StephensGreenGM, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear ProfW,
Many thanks for taking the time to write concerning your stay with us. We very much appreciate our guests feed back as it is very important to us. I am so very sorry you were unhappy with the hotel. Once again, thank you for sharing your comments. With Kind Regards Sally Hughes General Manager.
Belfast
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed in this hotel on Friday 29th July. It was a celebratory event for my mothers 80th birthday. We were both looking forward to our stay in this '4 star' establishment. What a disappointment - we arrived and entered a souless and grubby foyer that was completely unadorned and was furnished only with a few well worn sofas and dirty tables.

We checked in and the room itself was ok but the bathroom left a lot to be desired with cracked and peeling paintwork and a whb that could not be filled as the plug was ill fitting. We decided to have a drink at the bar before a spot of sightseeing - big mistake!!! The bar area was as grubby as the foyer and I had to return my glass of wine as the glass was smeared. No wonder the room was devoid of customers.

The biggest disappointment however was to come the following morning. We came down to have breakfast in the Pie Dish Bistro. This was a room with stained carpets, threadbare chairs and an overall feeling of neglect. The breakfast fare itself was truly abysmal. It was located in a dark ante room (which in retrospect was probably a blessing given the standard of the food) and consisted of watery, tepid scrambled egg, a few sad sausages, overcooked mushrooms and black pudding which looked as though it had been hanging around for a few days. There was no bacon and I had to wait for 5 minutes for mismatched crockery to arrive. If this was a traditional Irish breakfast I'll have a MacDonalds.

I can only assume this hotel is rated 4 star because of it's location as in my opinion there are Premier Inns which would be of a much higher standard. If you are travelling to Dublin stick to the Gresham or Burlington if you want a 4 star rated experience.

I did give the hotel the opportunity to respond to my complaint but after having heard nothing despite having emailed them on two separate occasions I opted to write this review as it would appear that this is the only means by which management deal with customer feedback!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ThreeFatLadies
Dear ThreeFatLadies,
Many thanks for post your comments and thank you so much for taking the time to speak with me on the telephone. I will write to you personally concerning your stay. In the mean time please accept my sincere apologies. With Kind Regards. Sally Hughes General Manager.
Valletta, Malta
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This hotel has many plusses, location is def number 1. Most of the staff are very nice and helpful, Room was very clean, great water power which makes taking a shower after a full day of sightseeing a relaxing pleasure. Haven't eaten here so I cannot comment.
The only negative for us was NO Free WIFI anywhere in the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank marsh1972
Dear Marsh1972,
Thank you so much for sharing your comments, delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I have taken note of your comment concerning WIFI. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write. With Kind Regards Sally Hughes General Manager.
Cary, NC
Reviewed July 6, 2012

When we arrived at this hotel about 9 a.m. having just arrived in Dublin, we weren't surprised when we were told our room (for which we had a confirmed reservation) wasn't ready yet and we should return in several hours. We returned about 12:30 p.m. and were again told our room wasn't ready. After sitting in the lobby for about another hour, a hotel staff person approached us and explained that the hotel was overbooked and we would be moved to a sister hotel across town, the O'Callaghan Alexander. We were given lunch, free breakfast for three days at the sister hotel and a cab ride. We loved the O'Callaghan Alexander (which has a much more attractive lobby) so it was a win/win for us. My advice: be cautious about booking this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CaryCook,
I would like to apologise to you both for the inconvenience caused due to the hotel being over sold. We very much appreciate your help in moving to the Alexander Hotel. Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us. Once again, please accept my sincere apologies. With Kind Regards Sally Hughes General Manager.
SF, CA
Reviewed June 27, 2012

AC didnt work. Wireless couldn't connect because their router had no power. Repeated calls to fix both ignored or unable to fix (even though the former was only 6 months old). To cap it off, they screwed up the room service order.

One saving grace was one staff member who valiantly tried buy failed which is why I give them a 2 and not a 1 for service.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Yagoohoogle,
I am disappointed to read your comments, we have since had our IT person service the routers in the hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments. With Kind Regards Sally Hughes General Manager.
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Booked this hotel for a 2 nights, 2 Junior Suits, 5 months in advance. The day before we are meant to arrive, I get a very anonymous email stating, 'due to a party extending their stay, we are moving you to another hotel'. No phone call, no asking if we would even LIKE to be moved to another hotel in a totally different part of town. We called the person who sent the email. HA!
Firstly I was told that the switch had been done, nothing we could do about it. When we tried talking to the 'Customer service' girl about this, she hung up on us, saying I was shouting. I called back, explaining that I wasn't shouting, I was just a New Yorker...! Hung up on again. After calling back a THIRD time, I was told I would have the original rooms at the original hotel.
Such a lack of basic customer service would refrain from me recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank irishgalinnyc
Dear irishgalinnyc,
Firstly, please let me apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to our over booking situation also for the way it was handled. We normally take great pride in the service we offer to our guests' on this occassion we will be first to admit to our short commings. I very much appreciate you taking the time to write. Once again, please accept my sincere apologies.
With Kind Regards. Sally Hughes General Manager.