“worst 4* hotel ever”

Ranked #52 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
west lothian
“worst 4* hotel ever”
Reviewed November 15, 2007

On arrival after a late flight we arrived after midnight.
I found the room was not of 4*standard, The furniture was old and rather worn looking, I pulled back the Duvet to find the sheets covered in blood! I was informed there were no other
rooms available as the hotel was full. A male member of staff
was sent to change the bed to which I ended up doing myself.
We got no apology from anyone, not even next day, when I
complained next day, the staff were all foreign and didnt understand and then one girl said they would give us a free bottle
of wine with dinner as an apology!!
We declined the offer, went for dinner and had to tell the waiter
3 times what we wanted to drink before he understood,
the meal was very poor, the starter was a non starter, the pork for
main meal was burned and veg were cold.
I would never stay in this hotel again and cannot understand
how it ever got a 4* rating.
At the rate of £135 per night I reckon it is just an absolute joke

• Liked — where it was situated
  • Disliked — the staff attitude and cleanliness
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WestLothianMuirhead
Paul C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for your review, we are currently reviewing some of our older reviews to ensure O'Callaghan Stephen's Green continues to offer distinguished service and excellent accommodation. I wish to acknowledge receipt of your review as feedback both positive and constructive allows for enhanced improvements at the hotel.

Paul Clifford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Arabic first
Ireland
Reviewed November 12, 2007

My daughter and I have just returned from a two night stay in Dublin and 0'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel. I booked (through the hotel's website) a double standard room, bed and breakfast both mornings and dinner on one evening.
Contrary to a previous reviewer's opinion, I found the hotel to look exactly as it does on the website. On arrival at 11 a.m., the Receptionist informed me she had no record of my reservation. To make a long story short, she sorted it efficiently and quickly and to make up for the slight hiccup, upgraded us to to a junior suite. This, to my mind, is great customer service and was very much appreciated. Thank you Renata! Our suite was gorgeous. as is this hotel. Anyone who thinks they can receive better value in this part of Dublin City is deluded. And, having travelled extensively throughout Europe's major cities, let me say it compares very well with hotels there. Plus, you have staff that are friendly, helpful and smiling. The whole of Dublin is on your door-step if you stay here . Just leave the laptops at home and take a stroll through the beautiful St. Stephen's Green .....and relax ...you're in Dublin!

• Liked — great bed
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank windsweptIreland

Copenhagen
Reviewed November 11, 2007

I was recommended this hotel by the organisors of a scientific meeting that I took part in. Booked the room via the hotel website which gives you the impression that this is a very nice hotel. It also should be as it is not exactly cheap (my rate was EUR 285 for two nights in a single room).

First problem: The wireless internet connection (EUR 15/24 hours) did not work. I tried every single spot in my room and in the corridors on the 3rd floor - nowhere was there a signal to be found. I went to the reception and was told that I could borrow a cable and that I would be charged EUR 10 for that - to be deducted when I returned the cable. This kind of gave the impression of some cheap tourist class hotel and did not make much sence since of course they had my credit card for guarantee. Day two of my stay the LAN also stopped working. The staff had no clue what was wrong and insisted that it must be my computer. After 45 minutes I gave up and some hours later when I returned the cable was informed that: yes, I might have been right that it was a network problem since I was not the only one to mention it ... no apologies given.

I checked out in a hurry and therefore did not take the time to carefully look at my bill. I am from a non-euro country so I also am not familiar with judging the price. I found out when I arrived home that I had been charged not the 285 that was the rate on the reservation but 575 !!! I immediately send an e-mail with a copy of my reservation confirmation but still I have not heard from the hotel.

Also worth noting is that the hotel looks really nice on the website and even in the lobby/reception in real life. When you get to the corridors and the rooms it is rather run down - more so than would be exptected from the price.

Bottom line: I most definitely would NOT stay there again and cannot recommend it.

P.S.: The bar at the sister hotel next door (Alexander) is another no-go!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank ducatista_dk
StephensGreenHotel, Operations Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2008
Dear guest, thank you for your comments regarding your stay. We appreiciate all feedback should it be positive or negative.

From reading your comments about going to the Alexander hotel next door makes me belive that you stayed in are sister hotel the Davenport on Merrion Square as we are situated 15minutes away from the Alexander Hotel.

I have passed on you comments to the management team in the Davenport Hotel.

Many Regards
Daniel Hoad
Operations Manager
Izmir, Turkey
Reviewed October 3, 2007

I enjoyed my stay in this hotel. Room was comfortable, breakfast was ok, and above all the location was superb. Reception is not very fancy, but service is ok

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Bahadir

Bay City, Michigan
Reviewed October 3, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the O'Callaghan Stephen's green in late September as part of an anniversary (self-paced) tour of Ireland. I had emailed the hotel about early arrival, and we were able to check in by 10am. Nothing like a hot shower after an overnight flight!

The hotel is in a great location, away from the buzz of Temple Bar, and protected from a lot of heavy traffice. We were streetside, but the windows did a great job blocking any noise.

We were able to take the Aircoach from Dublin Airport for about 6 euro each one-way. It dropped us off on the SE corner of Stephen's Green. It's a short walk to the SW corner where the hotel is, but be careful to get on the right street! We ended up down by the concert hall, which was the wrong direction.

Room was large and comfortable, nicely decorated, with a large bathroom (good shower pressure) and a small fridge (which didn't cool real well, I think because of being closed in beneath the TV). In room internet was available via the TV, which came in handy.

Staff was excellent and very responsive to our needs.

We did not eat in the hotel because of the price (15 euro for breakfast), but there are plenty of nearby options, such as inside the Stephen's Green shopping centre near Grafton St. Trinity College, Temple Bar, and the cathedrals were all within walking distance, but bring good shoes, since the sidewalks are largely uneven (ouch!)

One tip: Use ATM's for cash, as the exchange rate is favorable, and the international service fees are typically less than for credit cards. HOWEVER: Be aware that Irish ATM's only withdraw from the primary account on the card. If your ATM card is also a check card, this means putting the cash in your checking account and not your savings! We were not expecting this, and had to go online and transfer money.

• Liked — Great location, Excellent Service, Large Room
  • Disliked — Breakfast Pricey
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank kaadaq

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed September 30, 2007

Arrived early on a rainy Thursday morning, and after a :45 minute wait, which we spent at Bewley's down the street, we were dozing in our room by 9:00 AM. This is a terrific location at the southwest corner of St Stephen's Green, a beautiful park in a great section of Dublin. The upper end of Grafton Street was one long block away. The staff was friendly, helpful, and seemed happy that we were there. The room on floor five faced the street, and was quiet, clean, comfortable. Breakfast was buffet style, with great choices. Had drinks/dessert in the bar one evening during our two day stay. We would definitely return to Stephens Green.

• Liked — Location, Room, Staff
  • Disliked — Pricey, but not bad for a great location in Dublin
3 Thank burkeohio

Chester, UK
Reviewed September 26, 2007

Probably the best thing about this hotel is the location. It is right on St Stephen's Green, only five minutes walk from Grafton Street (the main shopping street) and about 10 to 15 mins walk away from Temple Bar & the River Liffey.

The hotel itself is OK - there's nothing wrong with it at all, but conversely there's nothing that gives it a wow factor to make it stand out and make you think if I go back to Dublin, I must stay there.

The reception area is pleasant enough, the receptionists were very friendly. The room was a good size, with a good size Queen Bed, it was also nice and clean and the bathromm was a good size.

If I could, I would have scored the hotel 3.5 - but I can't, so I had to go one way or the other. So, for the simple fact that there was actually nothing wrong with the stay, I felt it was a bit harsh to score 3, so went on the generous side.

I'd be happy enough to stay there again, but I'd shop around to see if I can find better or better value for money.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No bad points stood out
2 Thank DevaEboracum