“Uneventful experience, great location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel

O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel
Ranked #50 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Izmir, Turkey
“Uneventful experience, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2007

I enjoyed my stay in this hotel. Room was comfortable, breakfast was ok, and above all the location was superb. Reception is not very fancy, but service is ok

2 Thank Bahadir
Paul C, General Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for your review, we are currently reviewing some of our older reviews to ensure O'Callaghan Stephen's Green continues to offer distinguished service and excellent accommodation. I wish to acknowledge receipt of your review as feedback both positive and constructive allows for enhanced improvements at the hotel.

Paul Clifford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Arabic first
Bay City, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the O'Callaghan Stephen's green in late September as part of an anniversary (self-paced) tour of Ireland. I had emailed the hotel about early arrival, and we were able to check in by 10am. Nothing like a hot shower after an overnight flight!

The hotel is in a great location, away from the buzz of Temple Bar, and protected from a lot of heavy traffice. We were streetside, but the windows did a great job blocking any noise.

We were able to take the Aircoach from Dublin Airport for about 6 euro each one-way. It dropped us off on the SE corner of Stephen's Green. It's a short walk to the SW corner where the hotel is, but be careful to get on the right street! We ended up down by the concert hall, which was the wrong direction.

Room was large and comfortable, nicely decorated, with a large bathroom (good shower pressure) and a small fridge (which didn't cool real well, I think because of being closed in beneath the TV). In room internet was available via the TV, which came in handy.

Staff was excellent and very responsive to our needs.

We did not eat in the hotel because of the price (15 euro for breakfast), but there are plenty of nearby options, such as inside the Stephen's Green shopping centre near Grafton St. Trinity College, Temple Bar, and the cathedrals were all within walking distance, but bring good shoes, since the sidewalks are largely uneven (ouch!)

One tip: Use ATM's for cash, as the exchange rate is favorable, and the international service fees are typically less than for credit cards. HOWEVER: Be aware that Irish ATM's only withdraw from the primary account on the card. If your ATM card is also a check card, this means putting the cash in your checking account and not your savings! We were not expecting this, and had to go online and transfer money.

• Liked — Great location, Excellent Service, Large Room
  • Disliked — Breakfast Pricey
5 Thank kaadaq

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2007

Arrived early on a rainy Thursday morning, and after a :45 minute wait, which we spent at Bewley's down the street, we were dozing in our room by 9:00 AM. This is a terrific location at the southwest corner of St Stephen's Green, a beautiful park in a great section of Dublin. The upper end of Grafton Street was one long block away. The staff was friendly, helpful, and seemed happy that we were there. The room on floor five faced the street, and was quiet, clean, comfortable. Breakfast was buffet style, with great choices. Had drinks/dessert in the bar one evening during our two day stay. We would definitely return to Stephens Green.

• Liked — Location, Room, Staff
  • Disliked — Pricey, but not bad for a great location in Dublin
3 Thank burkeohio

Chester, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2007

Probably the best thing about this hotel is the location. It is right on St Stephen's Green, only five minutes walk from Grafton Street (the main shopping street) and about 10 to 15 mins walk away from Temple Bar & the River Liffey.

The hotel itself is OK - there's nothing wrong with it at all, but conversely there's nothing that gives it a wow factor to make it stand out and make you think if I go back to Dublin, I must stay there.

The reception area is pleasant enough, the receptionists were very friendly. The room was a good size, with a good size Queen Bed, it was also nice and clean and the bathromm was a good size.

If I could, I would have scored the hotel 3.5 - but I can't, so I had to go one way or the other. So, for the simple fact that there was actually nothing wrong with the stay, I felt it was a bit harsh to score 3, so went on the generous side.

I'd be happy enough to stay there again, but I'd shop around to see if I can find better or better value for money.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No bad points stood out
2 Thank DevaEboracum

Birmingham, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2007

I've stayed here four times now on business and each time, have come away feeling vaguely disappointed. The location is very good, and I imagine if you are in Dublin sighseeing you probably couldn't do a lot better from that point of view.

My main issue is that each time I come here, something happens to disappint me - in my opinion, it's not worth its 4 stars and certainly I have stayed in 3 stars which are better. Certainly in a 4* hotel, I would expect a quality and consistency of service which I have yet to experience here.

The rooms are nice - well decorated and comfortable and the bathrooms are a decent size so on that front, I've never had a particular problem. The shower curtains can sometimes be a bit smelly, and certainly the one in my room this week needed a wash.

My issues are always with the service, such as a particular type of room being requested at the time of booking but not being available when you check in. This has happened each time I've checked in.

I had asked for a quiet room and got one on the main road. This wouldn't have been a massive issue, except for the fact that the air conditioning didn't work and therefore I couldn't sleep with the windows open due to the noise. I woke up absolutely baking hot and cursing them!

In addition, I left the window open when I went out to work and came home to find the housekeeper had shut it - on the 4th floor at the front of the hotel there is no security issue but it does mean the rooms get very hot. As I realised when I came in from work to an absolute oven. It would have been a nice touch to leave it.

My room service on the first night of this stay took 50 minutes to arrive, with no explanation or apology given when I rang to chase it. The pudding looked like something from the Tesco Value range and was overcooked and disappointing. The tray was still outside my room the next morning. Again, I have been disappointed by the food before so this doesn't seem to have been just an unlucky coincidence.

Breakfast is ok - relatively uninspiring but can't really fault it in a major way - it is pricey though. They could do with a decent fruit salad.

Overall, there is nothing massively wrong with the hotel, but the service and standards are certainly not what I would expect from a 4* hotel and I certainly don't feel that it's worth this rating or the price you pay for what is essentially, quite an ordinary hotel which could do a lot better.

Colleagues have told me of a 3* hotel just up the road which is apparently much superior so next time, I will take their advice and try there.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Very average but with above average prices
3 Thank bushytailedfox

ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2007

stayed here in business trip start of september 2007.
Couldn't fault the location as is perfect if you are within walking distance of everything and the luas right outside the door.
In my opinion a bit shabby for a 4 star hotel. Reception a bit dull and lifts could do with a cleaning when we were there. We also ended up in a smoking room with a lovely view of a wall. Right outside the window was the vent for the boiler or something, the noise was terrible! Would have requested a change in room but was late when we got back.
Also the bathroom was only ok with a bad smell.
Overall a great location but imho not a 4 star. Jury's kind of standsard. Perhaps we just had a bad experience. Just avoid first floor rooms overlooking that boiler! As i said maybe just a one off bad experience as others have stayed here that i know and can't fault it.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — noise
1 Thank kitkat2007

Newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2007

Booked the hotel for the August bank holiday weekend after reading reviews from this site and we weren't disappointed.

We arrived at the hotel and were swiftly checked in & directed to our room. The hotel was pretty immaculate & the staff helpful.

As far as eating goes unfortunatly we didn't eat in the hotel however we found the restaurant guide in the room particularly helpful as it gave a description, rough price guide and directions, we visited a few of the listed restaurants as well as a few others.

We booked the junior suite which consisted of a sitting room, bedroom with a queen size bed and bath/shower room. The amount of space we had was amazing and were really impressed however we felt as a young couple who were hardly in the hotel it was a slight waste. We plan to use this hotel again however we may just choose to book a standard double room.

As far as location goes it couldn't have been better, Grafton Street was minutes away, and hosted a variety of high street and top end stores as well as a large choice bars and restaurants St. Stephen's Green was across the street and was fantastic to walk through any time of the day.

We would love to visit Dublin again and O'Callaghan Stephen's Green would be the only place we would stay in.

P.S - My girlfriend suggests that you may wish to take your own hairdryer! See pictures!

• Liked — Location and the amount of space
  • Disliked — Having to leave!!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple