Maples House Hotel
Ranked #100 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed November 6, 2008

1. The online registration for the room was confusing. We asked for a double and twin room. They assigned us one room for 4 people, not two rooms.

2. I called 2 days before we were due and asked for a booking for the day prior as well. I was told we were only booked for one 4-bed room but they had rooms for a double room and a twin room for both nights and would change it.

3. We arrived and found that my conversation with them had no record and that we not only were still scheduled for the 4-bed room but no reservation for that night. They did find us a room for the first night and two rooms for the second night.

4. The charge was $72 per person per night, whether in a 4-bed or 2-bed room in spite of the fact that the internet confirmation stated the charge was $60 per person per night.

5. Three of us are over 70. We were given room #1. That meant that we had to lug our bags (2-week luggage) up three very steep stair-cases.

I've had better stays in Tibet, Bangladesh, Peruvian Amazon, Kenya, Nepal, New Guinea.... I am not a novice traveler.

All in all, a bad experience.

Bill McCabe

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank McMedical
MaplesDublin, Manager at Maples House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2008

In response to the review "Unfortunate" i feel The Maples House Hotel is not at fault on any of the issues raised as the guest booked with an agent and not directly with the hotel. The guests booked on the internet and reserved a dbl and 2 sgls room for 4 adults which clearly states on their confirmation this is one room, when they arrived at the hotel they said they had spoken with someone a day earlier and arranged another nights stay.
This was not the case but in this event we did accomodate the guests with their extended stay. The guests were also adamant that they had booked two separate rooms while their confirmation was for one room. While this may have been upsetting to them to realise they had made a mistake every effort was taken on our part to accomodate them. While other points noted were the rates the guest booked with booking engine Gulliver and paid a deposit for using the service again which is clearly stated on their confirmationand this was not payable to the hotel but to their service provider and only the balance payable comes to us the hotel which again was clearly printed on their confirmation which they provided us with upon check in. Again guests asked for the use of a lift which our building does not have nor do we advertise such facilities. I have thouroughly checked our content and the content of Gulliver Ireland where the guests booked and none of these facilities are listed. Neither the hotel or the booking engine were at any fault in this instance and i regret that the guests feel otherwise. I would note to everyone especially if you travel and book frequently through the internet channels to please read your confirmation thoroughly and address any issue that you may have before you travel and if needs be contact the hotel where you are staying and if any amendments have been made to your booking please ask for a confirmation and this will avoid any undue upset to all parties concerned as we at The Maples House Hotel are here to make your stay a pleasant and enjoyable one, a stay that you will remember for the future not an "unfortunate"one.

Reviewed July 22, 2008

I booked The Maples House Hotel as my friend had stayed there while on business and had highly recommended it to me, which is always the way i prefer to book hotels. Im a lone traveller and i'm always looking to feel secure and safe and a little bit pampered especailly when away from home. All the staff at the hotel were so friendly and welcoming to me from the moment i checked in. I felt like i knew the girls on reception and in the lounge. Hats off to the Chef as the food is gorgeous and portions are very generous.
Bedrooms are clean and comfortable and i was able to work in the room as it had wifi. I will choose the hotel again as it really does live up to the home from home feeling.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank britgr8
Reviewed June 26, 2008

We stayed at the Maples for an anniversary and found it to be one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. The staff were so welcoming every time you passed reception. Our room was spotless (always important) and bright and airy which i definately need. We ate in the restaurant the first night of our stay and enjoyed it so much we ate the rest of our meals there aswell. The bar has just been redecorated and its lovely the band were great bit of craic and i thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will definately return to the hotel and highly reccommend it to all of my friends and colleagues.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank christinaSYorks
Reviewed June 9, 2008

My husband brought me to the Maples House Hotel as a birthday treat. The room that we were given was really spacious & clean. We had a meal in the restaurant which was yummy & surprisingly inexpensive. The entertainment was great craic. I cannot understand why people would book a hotel that clearly states that it has live entertainment yet complain about the noise!!!We found the staff to be courteous & attentive and genuinely interested in making our stay what it was.....a treat.
Will definately go back.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DHousewife
Reviewed September 21, 2007

I checked in to this hotel on a Thursday. I was given room 22. The room was big but what annoyed me was that you could only access the bed from one side. I thought this was totally stupid as if I wanted to get up I had to climb over my partner. The duvet cover on my bed was also dirty and when I asked the lady at reception to change it she told me it would be changed in the morning. The duvet cover was never changed for the whole 3 days we were there. On the Friday night there was a party on in the bar below us. There was extremely loud music playing and it played until after midnight. I complained on many occasions. In the morning the lady on duty told me that I was staying in a city centre hotel and this was to be expected. I asked would there be any music playing on the saturday night and was told no but once again there was a party with music and this time there were kids running around and screaming. They would not agree to offer us a discount on the morning we checked out. All in all I would not recommend this hotel to anybody. It is not a city centre hotel and it does not provide a peaceful and relaxing stay as the website states.

Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank sydtrav1
Reviewed September 11, 2007

My stay at this hotel was terrible from the very begining. I was left waiting at the reception desk by the manager of the hotel who couldn't even check me in. The lady who was on duty eventually strolled up to the desk to ask me if I wanted anything. The roomI was given was horrible. It had a tiny bed that was built into the wall about 3 feet of the ground. it had a nice bathroom but the bathroom was bigger than my bedroom! So you can only imagine what the room looked like. I have no complaints about the food, it was excellent and reasonably priced. The staff in the bar were also very nice. When i was checking out, again I had the same problem dealing with the manager. She was unable to give me my bill and I again had to wait for the lady on duty to finish her cigarette break. I would not even consider staying here again it was totally overpriced for the room i received!!

Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank Johnpaul12
Reviewed September 3, 2007

Stayed for three nights in August. Rooms were small but clean, a good house keeping staff. The restaurant menu and staff excellent. the breakfast menu and wait staff very good. The only thing I would change is the night porter Teddy who was rather obnoxious and rude.

• Stayed: September 2007