“Nice hotel!”

Ranked #54 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Nice hotel!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I booked this hotel on very short notice. The price was very affordable and the room was more than adequate for a single traveler with limited international traveling experience. I felt very comfortable and safe there. It's not directly in the city center per say, but it's not a bad walk, bus or cab ride away either. I didn't mind the walking! The area around the hotel is quieter than being in the middle of Dublin. If you like being on the edge of the hustle and bustle, you may prefer this hotel. The continental breakfast was always good and the staff was very helpful!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jesnaz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I recently stayed for one night at this hotel and was more than pleased with it! I arrived very early and was greeted by a lovely friendly man on reception who actually thought I was checking out!I explained that I did not expect my room to be ready and just wanted to check in and also to leave my bag.My one request was a room away from the elevators.Not only did he not make a fuss when I discovered that I had forgotten my reservation print-out but he very kindly upgraded me to one of their gorgeous suites!! The room was impressive with a great wrap around balcony with amazing views of the city. Bliss! I
The location of the hotel is fantastic-the Luas stop is minutes away but I chose to walk to the city centre-15 mins max.As remarked on in other reviews of the hotel there are plenty of colourful characters lurking around the area.However,there is also plenty of security -the supermarket next door has security guards in the evening.As a lone female I did not feel unsafe at any time but obviously one needs to use common sense and be vigilant.I also particularly liked the fact that there is direct access to the hotel from the underground car park and that you can only go as far as the reception area without a room key.
There are lovely cafes in the area and a wonderful cinema with a cafe and bar practically next door to the hotel. For me it was a perfect location. I have stayed with the Maldron chain before but not in this particular branch.It will be my preferred choice in future-I just have to look out for the special offers!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sheila8H
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We have recently stayed for three nights at this hotel which is definitely not in the city centre as advertised, although it is within walking distance of several major attractions. We were allocated a room on the second floor (200) and although it was not huge it was large enough to accomodate three of us. The carpet had seen better days, and we found someones eyeshadow brush on the floor as soon as we walked in. The TV had a very snowy picture, and although this was reported to reception the following morning the problem was not resolved. We never bothered asking again as we didn't spend much time in the room anyway so we were not too bothered. The bathroom was lovely and the power shower much appreciated, although there was no bath plug so we couldnt take a bath. Our tea/coffee cups were not cleaned the first morning we were there and therefore our sachets of coffee and milk were not replenished either so we couldnt have a hot drink in the morning when we awoke and had to wait until we went out. The beds also left quite a lot to be desired and are definitely not the comfiest. We had no issues with noise in the evening, as some other reviewers have reported, and did not eat in the restaurant so cannot comment on this. I think this is really just a budget hotel, and if you are looking for no-frills then you will be fine. Don't set your expectations too high with this hotel and you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We visited Dublin for a long weekend to take my daughter to the Eminem concert at Slane. We booked the Maldron as a friend had recommended the hotel chain and Smithfield was out of the main noise of the city.
The hotel was easy to find, and directly on the hop on hop off bus route. The receptionist was friendly and helpful at our checkin and we were given a triple room as booked on the 4th floor. Your room keycard operates the lift as well as your door.
The room was clean and tidy and spacious, but much too HOT. The room has a floor to ceiling window almost the width of the room, but only one tall slim window at the side which opens. We moved a chair in front of this window and took it turns to sit there to cool down.
In a city centre hotel in a busy, noisy area, air conditioning or at the very least a fan is to be expected for a hotel room. It took a long time to get to sleep as the room as very noisy from the events of the local alcoholics who like to sit on the large grassed area in front of the hotel. It was actually quite amusing to listen to the residents living opposite trying to move them on. The Garda turned up and moved them on, on two occasions
We needed the window open all night and the noise from below, early morning gulls and dustcarts spoilt our sleep. The beds were comfortable, 2 pillows was a must for comfort.
Close to most amenities it's on the Luas route and also the hoho tour route, a fab way to see Dublin with comical live commentary from the friendly drivers.
The room had an integrated iron and board, a hair dryer and tea and coffee making facilities. A real bonus was the free wifi in the room, code was given at checkin for the duration of the stay.
The bathroom includes complimentary hand wash, shower and hair wash. The room was cleaned daily, but the bed linen not changed at all.
The hotel stored our luggage until later in the day so we could continue with our sightseeing without dragging our bags round with us, a nice gesture.
We didn't use the restaurant or bar, but there is a fabulous little cafe just out of the hotel down the square on the right called Third Space which sells home cooked food, they do a great breakfast sandwich and coffee, the place is modern, comfortable and clean and the staff are fabulous. Also a supermarket next door to the hotel for your essentials , a little expensive but ok.
I wouldn't stay at this Maldron again, but would use the chain again as long as they had air con for their rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for smoking rooms as these seem to have a small balcony where you can open the doors and windows...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TheHardings
kerry ireland
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Iove stayin at tis hotel it's like a home away from home da staff are brill and so friendly hotel is so clean and comfi and value for money and it is in a great location to get around da city for shopping eating out or just a stroll around

• Stayed August 2013
Amtrayno, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Smithfield, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.

The entire team and I were delighted with your feedback. Cleanliness and customer service are the two areas we strive to excel at and we are delighted that on this occasion we succeeded in both.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future and we thank you once again for your wonderful review.

Kind regards

Ann Marie Traynor - General Manager
ireland
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This hotel is situated in an ideal location to city center. The hotel itself was clean and the breakfast was lovely. the only issue I have with this hotel is the beds. They are absolutely terrible and impossible to have a good nights sleep on. Also for others to be aware this hotel requires a €50 per person deposit if paying by cash on arrival!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights, absolutely fine, the door lock didn't work too well, and the lamp shade was meant to be white but was very dirty. The receptionist were nice and helpful at first, but the last night our hotel room was broken into. The thing is they had a report of someone climbing in, and they never went up to check if anyone was in our room or look outside, and how the people who broke in had the time to go into two rooms, steal stuff and climb back down without no body noticing is beyond. When we asked them to call the police they said "is it really necicasrry" knowing we had €160 stolen, a birth certificate and a samsung galaxy s4, with a overall value of around £900. So really they didn't want the police. The most worrying thing is they don't even have CCTV outside the premises. The security never stopped it in the first place. Even worst, they called up my house and said that I tried to bring the robbers in the hotel a few days before. They never even appologised when was leaving, and they never offered us anything to say sorry. Absolutely disgusting. Wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Jade J
Dear Jade J,

You review on trip advisor is untrue and defamatory and we are taking it under advisement

In this situation I am advised not to comment further

Ann Marie Traynor - General Manager