“Nice surroundings, lovely staff, lacking consistency!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Smyth and Gray - CLOSED

Smyth and Gray
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Delicious, healthy, affordable and fresh food for you and your guests. That's what's on our menu - and we are glad you've stopped by for a little taste.We offer you and your guests delectable freshly cooked meals to eat at our cosy restaurant in the heart of Temple Bar. You can also pick out a ready-to-cook dish or two. We can tailor a meal just for you, and of course, we also cater for events large and small.Our Menus are now available so and come visit us. Now in addition to the main restaurant we also have a Wine and World Tapas Bar upstairs for you to enjoy so feel free to drop by. Bon appetit!
“Nice surroundings, lovely staff, lacking consistency!”
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I have been here 3 times now. On all occasions the staff have been very pleasant and nice to talk to, while sometimes hard to catch their attention, they have always been helpful.

Our first occasion at the restaurant the food was very nice and we both enjoyed all 3 courses.
However, we went on Feb 13th and were quite disappointed. My boyfriend had the crab for starters and this was lacking in flavour and the beef cheek was dry. On our first occasion he also had the beef cheek and really enjoyed it so was let down by it on this occasion! I had the Caesar salad for starter which was nice and the chef was accommodating to my dietary request. I had the lamb fillet for the main, it was ok. We shared the brownie and orange dessert, which was nice but needed some ice-cream/cream.

Our third occasion was tonight and we were happy that the food was better than our second visit. We both really enjoyed our starters, the Caesar salad and soup of the day, again the chef was very accommodating. We both had the lamb shank which was delicious and my boyfriend had the fruit crumble which he really enjoyed while I had the brownie. The staff tonight were really nice and our main waiter was personable. My only negative remark was that at times it was hard to get their attention but it was quite busy in fairness.

Overall we were very happy with the service and food and are likely to return.

1 Thank kateduffy2

Malton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely superb from start to finish, attentive but not fussy staff, great wine and the baked goats cheese starter and the chilli chocolate fondant were a particular highlight in a lovely atmosphere.

1 Thank tharrison88
“Terrible Experience”
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I recently made a reservation for my girlfriend and myself at smyth gray. This restaurant was recommended to me and I wanted to have some good wine and desserts with my girlfriend. After I booked us a table, the restaurant sent me a message telling me that my reservation was changed to an hour later with no explanation. Whatever, I understand plans sometimes need to change. When we arrived at the new reservation time we were asked to sit and wait and told to look over the menu before we got our table. When our waiter arrived, we asked for the dessert menu, and have him our wine orders. After a few minutes he returned to our table telling us that it's "ok" to have dessert, but we'd need to leave after only 15 minutes... Needless to say we left never to return. I can't speak for the food or the wine at smyth gray because I didn't have a chance to try them. I'm not saying "don't go to this restaurant" because I've worked in the restaurant business for many years and I understand restaurants have bad nights, but my experience was a little more than rediculous.

4 Thank Kevin7856
SmythandGray, Owner at Smyth and Gray, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear reviewer,

I am sorry that you had a negative experience on your recent visit to our restaurant. As regards your booking time I am sure that was just an operator error on entry to our system, the time was incorrectly entered and I can only apologise for this. We would never change the time of a guests booking without first speaking to them to ensure that suited them as well as ourselves. Upon receiving the SMS (24 Hours Prior) If you had called the restaurant to check on this we would have been happy to correct the time for you.

In regards to your desire to just enjoy dessert and a glass of wine, we did offer to facilitate this and it was not to your satisfaction. We are a restaurant offering a full service and not a pastry shop, our guests come to enjoy 3, 4 and 5 course meals, it would be unfair to rush other guests to facilitate a customer who simply wanted to enjoy a dessert. Therefore we were only able to offer you a table for a limited period of time as the restaurant was so busy on the evening in question (There were power cuts in Temple Bar and Dame Street and as we were one of very few restaurant that could still operate we came under intense pressure) we regret that this didn't meet your needs on the evening in question however I hope you can understand.

I'd like to make it clear, we are not in the business of being unhospitable however the converse side of that is that we have to make the restaurant 'function' in as efficient and viable manner as possible.

Kind regards,

Smyth & Gray
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Food Superb”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

When visiting a restaurant for the first time initially it is about the surroundings, and these are excellent, but at the end of the evening, it is all about the food, how it is cooked, presented and most of all taste, well in all categories, this restaurant gets 10 out of 10. To make this even better if after having superb food, the management and staff excel. In my particular case, the evening, food, service was so good, we managed to get reservations, just for the following evening, and we had the exact same enjoyment, food and service could not be faulted. I can highly recommend a visit and you will not be disappointed. To ALL of the people at the restaurant, thank you for two excellent evenings and us Geordie folk take some pleasing, cheers.

1 Thank Kenneth F
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Another excellent meal”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We've been to Smyth & Gray a few times now and each time is just excellent. We visited on Friday last and while the restaurant was extremely busy it was another great night. We had a new waitress that had just started but she was excellent and added to the entertainment that is a visit to Smyth & Gray.

I had the chowder to start which was super and full of flavour this was followed by a fillet which was devine and cooked to perfection. My husband had the crab which he always goes for because it's so tasty and again the fillet which he said was excellent, they had a new desert menu so we shared one between us as we were so full at the end of our meal.

I couldn't recommend this restaurant highly enough and am happy to tell everyone I meet to try it out, it's a real gem best restaurant in the city!!!

1 Thank Marion C